GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE or Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 09:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,918 Likes on 3,084 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Does this mean the EQE does not have a frunk?
Old 02-22-2024, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by chassis
Does this mean the EQE does not have a frunk?
Correct and same as my loaner EQS.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by HDLBRG
We pulled over to open the hood but you can’t -- it’s secured and can only be opened by MB Service Technicians.
Hood can be opened by anyone who can do a youtube search.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
XC60 T8 ER; pondering GLE 450e
Multiple-Porsche owner here. Never owned a Mercedes.
I'd been planning to buy the new 2024 Cayenne E-Hybrid (with 26-kWh battery pack) for a long time (it's still not out yet in the US due to chip issues), when I heard last October about the 2024 GLE 450e via a Kyle Conner electric-range-test video. I'd never considered Mercedes before because I just don't like how they look and have heard nothing but bad things about MB reliability. But that video showing 68 miles of all-electric range in city driving (< 40 mph) really caught my eye, along with the DC fast charging (unique to PHEVs on sale today). So that started months of my looking closely at the GLE 450e and doing about eight test drives (so far) at a half-dozen MB dealerships in my area.

Things that I like about the 450e over the E-Hybrid besides the better electric range and DC-fast-charging: (1) it's about $25k USD cheaper as I'd spec them both; (2) I like the track pad a lot; (3) I like the matte-black surfaces in the 450e (vs. fingerprint-prone, glare-prone "piano black" surfaces inside the Cayenne). Those are some very important things for me. Things I like better in the E-Hybrid over the 450e: (1) can option many more things (stuff I'd option are: infrared night-vision camera; all-metal roof; compass/clock on dashboard; heated windshield; can order no chrome on the exterior, including badging); (2) larger gas tank; (3) better appearance (to me, looks less like a minivan); (4) better stability at speed; (5) no fake exhaust tips; (6) drive-mode control dial on steering wheel; (7) much-better gear switcher (on dashboard instead of on a stalk coming out of the steering wheel); (8) can turn all exterior lights off when car is on (can't in the 450e); (9) can charge the traction battery via the ICE (as most PHEVs can do but the 450e cannot do -- great for long roadtrips when you want all-electric driving in stop-and-go traffic and can't charge from an outlet/charger); (10) classier-looking instrument panel and infotainment screen.

If they cost the same money to buy, it'd be a no-brainer for me. But the 450e is still in the running (by a thread) for me because of its being so much cheaper to buy.

Last edited by cometguy; 02-23-2024 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2023 Ram Rebel
Thanks! Dolomite Silver Metallic, it's a great color. Neutral silver in direct sunlight, and it takes on some blue (like the Dolomites in northeast Italy) in clouds and shade.

The flake in the paint is extremely fine which makes the metallic sheen unique and smooth.
I read in another forum metallic paints hide imperfections better than non-metallic paints...and flat paints are more challenging to maintain and touch-up. I’ve had so many silver vehicles but I never get tired of the color. My current MY21 GLE 450 is silver as is my MY23 Ram Rebel, which is “Billet Silver”.
chassis (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 01:17 PM

Correct. It’s an “Electronics Bay” (according to the MB salesman); so no need for a consumer to open it for any reason....OK, maybe if it’s on fire....
Old 02-23-2024, 01:28 PM

Regarding MB reliability: Here’s my one data point to consider. I’ve had my MY21 GLE 450 for 3.5 years. I’ve never had to take it in for service other than the first three oil changes/inspections. I’ve had two incidences of “minor rattles”, both solved during the oil changes. The first was a rattle in the solor sun shade when I went over large bumps -- MB added some foam stuffing -- problem solved. The second, was a muted rattle on small bumps at low speeds -- MB found a bad rear shock and replaced both -- problem solved. The only other Hiccups" have been 4-5 electronic faults that cleared on there own right away. This is why it is a difficult decision to leave MB -- very reliable; superb customer service; wonderful ride.
EL-34 (06-09-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 1,167 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by cometguy
I'd been planning to buy the new 2024 Cayenne E-Hybrid (with 26-kWh battery pack) for a long time (it's still not out yet in the US due to chip issues), when I heard last October about the 2024 GLE 450e via a Kyle Conner electric-range-test video. I'd never considered Mercedes before because I just don't like how they look and have heard nothing but bad things about MB reliability. But that video showing 68 miles of all-electric range in city driving (< 40 mph) really caught my eye, along with the DC fast charging (unique to PHEVs on sale today). So that started months of my looking closely at the GLE 450e and doing about eight test drives (so far) at a half-dozen MB dealerships in my area.

Things that I like about the 450e over the E-Hybrid besides the better electric range and DC-fast-charging: (1) it's about $25k USD cheaper as I'd spec them both; (2) I like the track pad a lot; (3) I like the matte-black surfaces in the 450e (vs. fingerprint-prone, glare-prone "piano black" surfaces inside the Cayenne). Those are some very important things for me. Things I like better in the E-Hybrid over the 450e: (1) can option many more things (stuff I'd option are: infrared night-vision camera; all-metal roof; compass/clock on dashboard; heated windshield; can order no chrome on the exterior, including badging); (2) larger gas tank; (3) better appearance (to me, looks less like a minivan); (4) better stability at speed; (5) no fake exhaust tips; (6) drive-mode control dial on steering wheel; (7) much-better gear switcher (on dashboard instead of on a stalk coming out of the steering wheel); (8) can turn all exterior lights off when car is on (can't in the 450e); (9) can charge the traction battery via the ICE (as most PHEVs can do but the 450e cannot do -- great for long roadtrips when you want all-electric driving in stop-and-go traffic and can't charge from an outlet/charger); (10) classier-looking instrument panel and infotainment screen.

If they cost the same money to buy, it'd be a no-brainer for me. But the 450e is still in the running (by a thread) for me because of its being so much cheaper to buy.
Spend the money.
Don't buy a car you dislike.
You'll kick yourself every time you see the Mercedes in your garage. 😡
Old 02-23-2024, 03:30 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by cometguy

To echo the above, right money for a wrong car still get you the car you won't appreciate. Looking at your posts in some of the threads, it seems like you're comfortable with Porsche vehicles, which is likely more important in this process.

From my side, I was looking at X5, GLE and Cayenne, money did matter but wasn't a deciding factor. I'll spare this thread from X5 talk and focus on 2024 Cayenne...

1. The gear shifter, it's usable but Mercedes style was just better for me. After a decade of shifting at the center console, MB style shifter grew on me after just a few days of driving, it's intuitive and just works IMHO.
2. Interior buttons that weren't real buttons or even normal sensor panels. For whatever reason, somebody decided that making the whole blocks (areas with multiple buttons) move up and down was a good idea. It felt incredibly weird and cheap.
3. Infotainment system felt dated and reminded me some cheaper vanilla Android tablets, the one that used native design with no skins.
4. I learned from Rennlist users that they moved garage opener control to the infotainment system when it's more tricky to operate, it doesn't always automatically pop up, can't access it in reverse etc. It may seem like a small thing but my wife's approval factor would be affected severely by it. It's annoying for me too.
5. Comparable specs would end up about 15-20k more expensive than Mercedes vehicles.
6. Somewhat common complaint about water ingress into vehicle from clogged drains.

None of the items above are critical by any means but it just didn't feel like "my next car".

Last edited by stktyz33; 02-23-2024 at 03:33 PM.
chassis (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,662 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
That is absolutely the truth, buy what you actually want…otherwise it’s just going to cost you more in the long run when you get rid of what you bought as a compromise to get what you actually want.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:05 PM

Or, you buy what you want and soon find out you got rid of what really made you happy. In high school I was dating this beautiful, mature brunette, then started also seeing this wild & crazy blonde I thought I wanted. The brunette found out; dropped me; left me with the blonde, whose craziness soon became “annoying.”
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 PM

1) I gotta ask, "Why Eight Test Drives?”
2) I don’t understand the aversion to “fake exhaust tips? It’s not like it’s an exotic sports car. I’m just happy not to have to clean exhaust residue off exposed pipes.
3) I don’t drive enough to worry about mileage; I don’t want a car that has a complicated power train (e.g., PHEV, EV, E-Hybrid...) -- My 450 with Mild-Hybrid is complicated enough and my other ride is a Hemi with no turbos or superchargers -- simple.
chassis (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 09:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by stktyz33
1. The gear shifter, it's usable but Mercedes style was just better for me. After a decade of shifting at the center console, MB style shifter grew on me after just a few days of driving, it's intuitive and just works IMHO.
Agree, the MB Direct Select lever is good and it saves console space. Not sporty-looking though.

2. Interior buttons that weren't real buttons or even normal sensor panels. For whatever reason, somebody decided that making the whole blocks (areas with multiple buttons) move up and down was a good idea. It felt incredibly weird and cheap.
Lots of complaints about this. I don't disagree, although it doesn't bother me.

3. Infotainment system felt dated and reminded me some cheaper vanilla Android tablets, the one that used native design with no skins.
Lots of positive and negative comments about the PCM. BMW iDrive seems well-liked by many, MB COMAND was not liked by many, MBUX seems to have mixed reviews. Hard to please everyone with the UI.

4. I learned from Rennlist users that they moved garage opener control to the infotainment system when it's more tricky to operate, it doesn't always automatically pop up, can't access it in reverse etc. It may seem like a small thing but my wife's approval factor would be affected severely by it. It's annoying for me too.
Many complaints on this. To my knowlege HomeLink was changed back to physical buttons either under the mirror or in the overhead console.

5. Comparable specs would end up about 15-20k more expensive than Mercedes vehicles.
Porsche is always more expensive than non-exotics (BMW, MB, Audi, JLR and Japanese brands) spec-for-spec.

6. Somewhat common complaint about water ingress into vehicle from clogged drains.
I don't recall seeing this on Rennlist. Are you referring to 955/957 or 958?
Old 02-23-2024, 09:48 PM

In a perfect world I would like both luxury and reliability in a vehicle. So far, my GLE 450 has been incredibly reliable. I did have two previous Porsches (Boxster S and Cayenne S) that were very reliable; however, I also had two Touaregs that were full of electronic gremlins. Not sure about the reliability of Cayennes today. I read recently Cayenne owners visit their dealerships for problems twice as often as GLE owners.

Touareg story: I’m standing in the Service Line at the VW dealership in Alexandria, VA and this “government” guy behind me says, “You know the name Touareg comes from a nomadic tribe in the Sahara Desert; I spent time with them.” So I asked, “Did you work for some NGO?” With a slight grin he said, “Something like that.” Ten years later I’m sitting in a meeting at Bagram AB, Afghanistan. There’s a female in civilian clothes sitting next to me. I ask her, “Are you with an NGO?” She replies, “No, OGO” (Other Governmental Organization). And I thought, I’m so naive; I bet she works for the same organization as the "Touareg guy."

Last edited by HDLBRG; 02-23-2024 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HDLBRG:
chassis (02-24-2024), SW20S (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I read recently Cayenne owners visit their dealerships for problems twice as often as GLE owners.
Really? Can you please post the link? That has not been my experience and is not the experience posted on rennlist, the definitive Cayenne owner forum.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:27 AM

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to determine the accuracy of any of these reports because it’s not often clear to the reader the methods & criteria they used and the actual models that were reviewed, e.g., they typically use the GLE 350 (4-cylinder) as their GLE test standard; however, I drive a GLE 450 (6-cyclinder); a different animal.

In a Consumer Reports review (link below) the GLE was ranked the lowest in reliability for all luxury SUVs; however, that has not been my experience, either.

Likewise, According to repairpal.com (link below) Cayenne owners had to visit their dealership 1.1 times per year for problems compared to a .6 times per year average for all luxury SUVs they reviewed. Of the 14 SUVs reviewed, the Cayenne ranked last; Lexus was ranked #1. Would that alone convince me to buy a Lexus? No.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/11/18/consumer-reports-most-reliable-cars-trucks-suvs/6385214001/?gps-source=AFPTNRIDN121977&utm_source=impact&utm_mediu m=affiliate&utm_campaign=121977&utm_content=116426 3&irclickid=y8ZRjsVQkxyPT0szCtwHszDtUkH16P3hp3iyXc 0&irgwc=1

https://repairpal.com/reliability/porsche/cayenne

Last edited by HDLBRG; 02-24-2024 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE AMG 63S
Unfortunately, it’s difficult to determine the accuracy of any of these reports because it’s not often clear to the reader the methods & criteria they used and the actual models that were reviewed, e.g., they typically use the GLE 350 (4-cylinder) as their GLE test standard; however, I drive a GLE 450 (6-cyclinder); a different animal.

In a Consumer Reports review (link below) the GLE was ranked the lowest in reliability for all luxury SUVs; however, that has not been my experience, either.

Likewise, According to repairpal.com (link below) Cayenne owners had to visit their dealership 1.1 times per year for problems compared to a .6 times per year average for all luxury SUVs they reviewed. Of the 14 SUVs reviewed, the Cayenne ranked last; Lexus was ranked #1. Would that alone convince me to buy a Lexus? No.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/11/18/consumer-reports-most-reliable-cars-trucks-suvs/6385214001/?gps-source=AFPTNRIDN121977&utm_source=impact&utm_mediu m=affiliate&utm_campaign=121977&utm_content=116426 3&irclickid=y8ZRjsVQkxyPT0szCtwHszDtUkH16P3hp3iyXc 0&irgwc=1

Look also here:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-vds
Old 02-24-2024, 10:59 AM

71% of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by automobile reliability studies.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Or, you buy what you want and soon find out you got rid of what really made you happy. In high school I was dating this beautiful, mature brunette, then started also seeing this wild & crazy blonde I thought I wanted. The brunette found out; dropped me; left me with the blonde, whose craziness soon became “annoying.”
Thats true, one of the reasons why I am concerned about giving up my S560 when the lease is up because I'm really happy with it.

1) I gotta ask, "Why Eight Test Drives?”
Why not 15 test drives? I drive a car a lot before I buy it, not a small decision for me.

2) I don’t understand the aversion to “fake exhaust tips? It’s not like it’s an exotic sports car. I’m just happy not to have to clean exhaust residue off exposed pipes.
Its the concept that they are fake. Just let the exhaust tips be hidden in the design, why make something that isn't real?

3) I don’t drive enough to worry about mileage; I don’t want a car that has a complicated power train (e.g., PHEV, EV, E-Hybrid...) -- My 450 with Mild-Hybrid is complicated enough and my other ride is a Hemi with no turbos or superchargers -- simple.
An EV is the opposite of complicated, its the most simple powertrain you could imagine.

Touareg story: I’m standing in the Service Line at the VW dealership in Alexandria, VA and this “government” guy behind me says, “You know the name Touareg comes from a nomadic tribe in the Sahara Desert; I spent time with them.” So I asked, “Did you work for some NGO?” With a slight grin he said, “Something like that.” Ten years later I’m sitting in a meeting at Bagram AB, Afghanistan. There’s a female in civilian clothes sitting next to me. I ask her, “Are you with an NGO?” She replies, “No, OGO” (Other Governmental Organization). And I thought, I’m so naive; I bet she works for the same organization as the "Touareg guy."
Living in DC for ya! lol
Old 02-24-2024, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
71% of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by automobile reliability studies.
Unfortunately these "reliability studies" are not related to reliability.
They are "satisfaction surveys," wondering if the shift stalk is In a good place, or if the radio sounds good.

The reliability part comes after three years, and nobody pays attention.
The "Satisfaction Surveys" are click bait.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE AMG 63S
So why are you posting them here?
Old 02-24-2024, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Thanks. No debating what is written on those internet pages.

How much time have you spent on rennlist reading owners’ experiences and posting questions of your own?
Old 02-24-2024, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. No debating what is written on those internet pages.

How much time have you spent on rennlist reading owners’ experiences and posting questions of your own?
No arguing that the CR drivel has been written, just whether there is any merit or truth. There isn't.
You have to subscribe to see the disclaimer that their "reliability" ratings are just guesses, not based on actual data. You actually have to pay!

Rennlist is a much less useful forum than this one.
Mostly complaints about not being able to get green piping on orange seats or similar sources of anger.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
To me, all you have to do is read the GLE and GLS forums to know that this is not anywhere near MB’s most reliable model lol
chassis (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
To me, all you have to do is read the GLE and GLS forums to know that this is not anywhere near MB’s most reliable model lol
Rennlist says the same about the Cayenne models too.
Actually, pretty much all Porsche models have lots of complaints on Rennlist.

Kind of like any Auto Forum. People with problems, posting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLE or Cayenne?