How to verify a Mercedes is CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 435I
How to verify a Mercedes is CPO?

Hi Everyone!

I am new here and buying my first Mercedes (a used 2021 GLE 53) from a MB dealer. The sale stated the car is a 100% certified pre-owned. But i could not find it in Carfax report or MB USA inventory (the car is under pre-owned category but not CPO): https://www.mbusa.com/en/cpo/inventory/vehicle. The explanation he gave was there was a recent recall regarding GLE class making it cannot be marked as CPO.

I know some brands do let you choose to buy a used car as CPO or not by paying extra money but don't hear the same for MB. I also asked a CPO check report but he said it was not available and can send to me on Monday.

Should i be worried on this and i there is any way (like paperwork?) to verify the car is CPO or not?

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2024, 01:33 AM

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
They will have it registered as CPO when you hash out the details of the deal and purchase. Years back I was looking at used inventory and was told for an additional fee it could be certified.
The following users liked this post:
BenBian (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 435I
Originally Posted by vincheung
They will have it registered as CPO when you hash out the details of the deal and purchase. Years back I was looking at used inventory and was told for an additional fee it could be certified.
Thank you for the info! I am fine with paying extra to certify a non-CPO car. But asserting a car CPO already (as i know it requires register in MB and necessary maintenance/repairs to make it meet the standard) and having nothing to prove seems fishy to me considering they tried to pushing me sign the contract yesterday. Anyway, i will wait for Monday to see how it goes.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
A CPO might come with a better factory warranty. The sales agreement should state CPO. If you are buying from a Mercedes Dealer there's no reason to be concerned. Most will try to CPO used because it's a more saleable vehicle. It requires that the Dealer go through a certification process that includes checking that the car is still OEM including wheels and tires.
BenBian (05-06-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:34 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
One of our cars is a 2022 GLC which was purchased from my MB dealer as CPO. This was done about a year and a half ago. Cars were in fairly short supply at that time. Some of his inventory of 2022 GLCs included CPO and mainly non CPO cars. Interestingly, the sales manager was surprised to realize the car we had chosen was CPO, because he offered me the same discount on all his GLC vehicles. He honored the price, saying that the fact that this car was CPO added at least $1,500.00 to its value. It came with CPO paperwork stating the date that the CPO warranty ends. Since the car was in the loaner fleet for several months, approximately 5 months, it had the balance of the new car warranty, about 3 years 7 months PLUS the additional 1 year of the CPO warranty with unlimited mileage. There definitely should be physical paperwork as well as MB recognizing the vehicle as CPO. I don’t know the real value of the CPO warranty, however, if I were to purchase on my own an extended 1 year warranty it would be at least a couple of thousand dollars.
BenBian (05-10-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 04:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
The vehicle likely won't have the CPO paperwork filed with MB until the sale, in case it was sold non-CPO. Confirm verbally that it is a CPO, then at closing get the CPO Inspection and Certification report and a copy of the CPO Warranty, which should include the start date (which should be the date the original warranty expires), and the end date, one year later.
You might also consider negotiating a two year extension of the CPO warranty.

Last edited by TNS550; 05-07-2024 at 04:44 PM.
BenBian (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 974 Likes on 748 Posts
G550
The attached document is a bit dated, but covers MB CPO with a checklist of what's been inspected. There might be a newer version, but if you're being told a vehicle is CPO, it should be accompanied with documentation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO-Certifications-Brochure.pdf (256.2 KB, 32 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
BenBian (05-10-2024), mikapen (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
For information - The cost to the dealer, including the obligatory CPO-specific inspection, plus the cost of the CPO warranty itself, is about $1,500.
BenBian (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:40 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
One more thing to be aware of... If a Mercedes dealership sells a vehicle as non-CPO, that vehicle is then ineligible for factory warranty extension, even if the original 4yr/50k warranty is not yet expired.

I learned that the hard way many years ago. At the time of purchase, I wasn't worried that I was buying a non-CPO Mercedes, since the car still had a few months of factory warranty and I was just planning to extend it... But a few weeks after the purchase, when I tried to pay to extend the factory warranty (ELW), I was told by Mercedes corporate that "because the vehicle was sold by a Mercedes dealership and not Certified, the vehicle is therefore ineligible for warranty extension."

Hope that helps someone not make the same mistake I made...
BenBian (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:40 PM
SPONSOR

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by mercedesbuff
One more thing to be aware of... If a Mercedes dealership sells a vehicle as non-CPO, that vehicle is then ineligible for factory warranty extension, even if the original 4yr/50k warranty is not yet expired.

I learned that the hard way many years ago. At the time of purchase, I wasn't worried that I was buying a non-CPO Mercedes, since the car still had a few months of factory warranty and I was just planning to extend it... But a few weeks after the purchase, when I tried to pay to extend the factory warranty (ELW), I was told by Mercedes corporate that "because the vehicle was sold by a Mercedes dealership and not Certified, the vehicle is therefore ineligible for warranty extension."

Hope that helps someone not make the same mistake I made...
Mercedes-Benz has the strangest qualifications for warranty coverage, I do not know any other manufacture with essentially 4 different levels of "OEM" warranty coverage.