GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE450e - bad gasoline issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
MB GLE 450e, MB S 580
GLE450e - bad gasoline issues

I mentioned to a friend (who knows cars) that with my hybrid, I have not been to a gas station in 6 months. He told me that gas deteriorates after 3-6 months and can foul-up your engine.

He suggested using up the gas in my tank and after refueling, to use a gas stabilizer such as Sta-Bil.

Anyone know of this ?
Old 05-07-2024, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,397 Likes on 2,044 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Alan M
I mentioned to a friend (who knows cars) that with my hybrid, I have not been to a gas station in 6 months. He told me that gas deteriorates after 3-6 months and can foul-up your engine.

He suggested using up the gas in my tank and after refueling, to use a gas stabilizer such as Sta-Bil.

Anyone know of this ?
Well, it also depends on how old the gas was in the gas station before you put it in the vehicle, from refinery to reaching the gas station to reaching your vehicle, it can be a span of a month or more. Then there is also how often the octane you fuel up is being used by other customers in the station so that also affects how old the fuel is.

Gas with ethanol expires quicker than pure gas, ethanol might become water. Water is incompressible so it might have the potential to damage your engine. It is not as bad as hydro-lock but there might still be damages.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-07-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:54 PM

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
You could probably get by with using non-ethanol gasoline. In Florida it is usually 90 octane. That is probably close enough to the minimum 91 octane to not cause a problem.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
If you think your gasoline might sit around for a while, using a fuel stabilizer is a good idea. Sta-Bil or other similar brands can keep your gas fresh for up to 12-24 months.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 247 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
if you are worried an easy solution is to add in some Seafoam to your gas tank every fill up.

I have been using Seafoam in my small engine gas containers for years now and never have gas related issues. I have filled my 2 gallon gas container before winter getting ready to use it in my snow blower and turned out we got zero snow so never used it. I ended up using that same 2 gallons of gas through spring into summer in my lawn mower and pressure washer and they start right up and run great. the gas still looked and smelled fresh. I mix 1 oz Seafoam per gallon of gas.

Not sure id be so worried about gas going bad in a modern car gas tank though since its a sealed system. Not alot of air getting into it.

Quick story about bad gas. I was at my Local Lowes last year and they had two Craftsman pressure washers set up right outside next to the snow blowers, it was the end of fall sometime. Both looked brand new and had hand written signs saying $25 each for parts only. I asked what the deal was with them, was told they were customer returns and it would cost more money to fix them than they sell for. i bought them both, figured even if i part them out I cant loose money. The hoses and wands are worth that alone. Got them home and opened the gas tanks and there was a horrid smell. Ended up draining and flushing the gas tanks, removed and cleaned the carbs and they ran brand new again. Cost me nothing to fix, didnt even change the plugs. The gas was dark brown like varnish. Im guessing people bought them in summer, used them then put them away with gas still in the tanks. Few months later they go to start and nothing due to bad gas and clogged carbs. Plus with it being a pressure washer all the water in the air must get in the gas tanks and carb. I sold one for $140 and kept the other.

I keep gas with Seafoam in the pressure washer and never have any issues. Starts first pull.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
It's rare for the gas to become "bad" to a point it's damaging to run in 3-6 months but it does go bad. In my 4-stroke snowmobiles, it can sit for 9-10 months with no issues. If you skip a season and forget to drain it, that's where the problems start...

Long story short, fill up 1/2 of the tank and just use it every 3-6 months or so. It really is your simplest option and no additive is needed.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:53 PM

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Ethanol free premium could be hard to come by in certain areas. General rule of thumb is 3 months for fuel with ethanol and 6 months for pure gasoline. Of course the figures will vary (I had an old motorcycle in storage for 6 years with gasoline that ran without issue).

Considering the value of your car is far more than a lawnmower or an old motorcycle. Just to be safe and add an extra layer of protection from ethanol breakdown, throw in a few ounces of stabil keeping 1/4 or 1/2 of fuel in the tank. Try to schedule a cycling out of the fuel in your tank every three months repeating the cycle.

Last edited by vincheung; 05-08-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,397 Likes on 2,044 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by stktyz33
It's rare for the gas to become "bad" to a point it's damaging to run in 3-6 months but it does go bad. In my 4-stroke snowmobiles, it can sit for 9-10 months with no issues. If you skip a season and forget to drain it, that's where the problems start...

Long story short, fill up 1/2 of the tank and just use it every 3-6 months or so. It really is your simplest option and no additive is needed.
What I heard is, half a tank sounds like a good idea on paper but there are some drawbacks. Condensation and the fuel pump uses fuel to cool it down, filling up half a tank makes the fuel pump work harder and with less fuel to cool it down it runs hotter too might fail quicker.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-08-2024)