GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Coolant leaking on my two months old 2024 GLE450e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2024 | 12:54 PM

2024 GLE450e
Unhappy Coolant leaking on my two months old 2024 GLE450e

Hello MB World friends!

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to this forum. I made my final decision to order a 2024 GLE450e as my first Mercedes. It is fantastic. You can feel how comfortable and amazing when driving it!
Now I have urgent asks, I want to hear your opinions.

Context:
On 07/05/2024, I drove my 450e to work. When I was heading back afternoon. In my company parking lot, I found there were some pink liquid underneath my car (very close to front face). I took a closer look and saw some liquid drops. It was leaking fast (one drop in several seconds). But there is no system warning light up yet. Then I drove my car to the closest dealer immediately. One service office guy came and took a look. He told me it is coolant leaking. Then he opened the hood. Since the whole interior and exterior are new and clean. He said it should be part defect and would be covered by warranty. So he made a report and arranged rental car for me. He said technician will do further check and get back to me on next Monday (07/08/2024).
In 07/06/2024 afternoon, I received a call from the service guy. He told me technician did further diagnostic. They found a hole on radiator. They believe instead of part defect, it should be struck by a rock on road. They suggested me to make a claim to insurance, let insurance guy come and report, then they will start fixing. He told me total cost would be over $5000 (in Bay Area).

Before making final decisions, I scheduled to visit dealer at their first available time (next Tuesday 07/09/2024) and see what's going on first.

Questions:
1. How can I tell it is not a part defect? I would trust them more if I have more knowledge of these. Is there anything I need to pay attention when I visit the dealer? I still cannot explain well about the whole issue to my wife. Every time I drive my new car, I am very careful. I keep distance from big trucks. I drive only twice a week in last 2 months. If it was struck by a rock, it should be on the route to my company and it should be loud. While I didn't notice or hear anything when I was driving in that morning.
2. If it is struck by rock and cost will be on me. Should I go with insurance ($2000 deductible) or pay out of my pocket (not sure if total cost would be lower)? I didn't report any claim in my past 10 years drive. I have concerns after I make this claim, my premium rate would go higher. If it is true, is it worth to to do it?
3. Do I need to take my car to other dealer for second look?

Thank you very much!

Old 07-07-2024 | 04:12 PM

2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Don't accept the decision by the mechanic as final, push it up the chain. They have to prove it was a rock and not a manufacturing defect. If it was a rock, some states (I think California is one) prohibit insurance companies from raising rates if you were not at fault. This should be covered under your comprehensive policy which may have a different deductible from your collision insurance.
Old 07-07-2024 | 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
Don't accept the decision by the mechanic as final, push it up the chain. They have to prove it was a rock and not a manufacturing defect. If it was a rock, some states (I think California is one) prohibit insurance companies from raising rates if you were not at fault. This should be covered under your comprehensive policy which may have a different deductible from your collision insurance.
If there is a hole in the radiator, how do they prove it was a rock? There is no incentive to tell you it’s your fault. If it’s a warranty issue, they would have the job. If it’s on insurance, you may go for a second opinion and they may not get the job. In this case, I would trust what the dealer is saying. As far as insurance or not. Why don’t you ask your insurance co if your rates would go up?
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-07-2024)
Old 07-08-2024 | 11:45 AM

2022 GLE 450
Ask dealer for photos of the radiator damage. They should have no issue providing those, and that should prove the issue. In any event, if they are telling you to send an insurance adjuster, then there probably is some sort of damage. Insurance isn't going to pay for a defect.
Old 07-09-2024 | 11:36 AM

2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
These SUVs are pretty shielded on the from end of the vehicle. I'd have them show me the hole in the radiator first off. If it is indeed a rock hole there will be obvious damage on the front somewhere where the rock passed through and hurt the radiator. With a $2K deductible, I'd find out the cost of the radiator replacement from the dealer. if it cheaper that the deductible I'd go with that.
The following users liked this post:
stktyz33 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024 | 02:11 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
You need pictures of the underneath and the radiator itself to understand what happened better.
Old 07-09-2024 | 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I'd have the insurance adjuster look at the problem. HeSheIt should have a valid opinion, and a specific reason why the part was defective (if it is).

You can choose not to file the claim it it's found to be "Claim-able" and you're wiling to swallow the deductible.
If it's a defect, you then have fuel to dispute the MB claim.
Old 07-09-2024 | 02:41 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by mikapen
I'd have the insurance adjuster look at the problem. HeSheIt should have a valid opinion, and a specific reason why the part was defective (if it is).

You can choose not to file the claim it it's found to be "Claim-able" and you're wiling to swallow the deductible.
If it's a defect, you then have fuel to dispute the MB claim.
Normally, every claim, even if it gets closed with no payment, gets on your insurance history and companies can see in systems such as "Clear" . Different companies evaluate "no payment" claims differently but it's something to be aware of.
Old 07-09-2024 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
This should be a comprehensive claim and should not affect future premiums just like a windshield claim.