GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Curious: Why is MSRP of GLE Coupe ~$3,000 more than GLE SUV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 06:48 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 GLK350, 10 E350, 12 R350, 14 CLA250, 18 E400 Coupe, 20 GLE580, 21 GLC43, 21 GLC300, 24 GLE53 SUV
Curious: Why is MSRP of GLE Coupe ~$3,000 more than GLE SUV?

Different components or style/design/demand/volume/vanity?
Old 08-05-2024, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,859 Likes on 2,580 Posts
2019 C63CS
Let me start out by saying that the GLE Coupe isn't a coupe. A coupe by definition has 2 doors, so this whole 4-door coupe thing is basically a sedan/SUV with a sloped roof. But having said that, "coupes" tend to fetch a higher price, because customers are willing to pay for a more interesting, less boring/boxy shape. Design is a big part of why somebody buys a "coupe" over a sedan/SUV. Coupes are generally viewed as more sporty and at least in the traditional 2-door coupe space, they do get more sporty features such as wider track, lower center of gravity and a more sporty tuning. They aren't just a sedan with two fewer doors. That costs more to design and produce, especially given that coupes tend to be lower volume than sedans, so the extra cost gets spread over a smaller sales volume.

Having said that, part of the price difference is also the difference in standard equipment. Coupes tend to be higher spec'd. For example the GLE Coupe like other MB coupes comes standard with the Panorama roof. For the SUV it's a $1000 option, so that's 1/3rd of the price difference right there. I haven't looked at other details, but there are probably a couple of other things that are standard on the Coupe and extra on the SUV.

SUV/sedans are generally priced lower with less standard equipment for the base model to extend downmarket for the average buyer, but can be spec'd up with optional equipment to match a coupe spec. Coupes, at least as far as the proper 2-door coupes are concerned are targeting more discerning buyers, who are willing to pay more for rarity, design, sportiness and such.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-05-2024 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bancroftdg (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Cayenne
Looking at the build page, it looks like the Coupe has the pano roof and AMG exterior package as standard. That's over $4K extra on the SUV.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by superswiss
Let me start out by saying that the GLE Coupe isn't a coupe. A coupe by definition has 2 doors, so this whole 4-door coupe thing is basically a sedan/SUV with a sloped roof. But having said that, "coupes" tend to fetch a higher price, because customers are willing to pay for a more interesting, less boring/boxy shape. Design is a big part of why somebody buys a "coupe" over a sedan/SUV. Coupes are generally viewed as more sporty and at least in the traditional 2-door coupe space, they do get more sporty features such as wider track, lower center of gravity and a more sporty tuning. They aren't just a sedan with two fewer doors. That costs more to design and produce, especially given that coupes tend to be lower volume than sedans, so the extra cost gets spread over a smaller sales volume.

Having said that, part of the price difference is also the difference in standard equipment. Coupes tend to be higher spec'd. For example the GLE Coupe like other MB coupes comes standard with the Panorama roof. For the SUV it's a $1000 option, so that's 1/3rd of the price difference right there. I haven't looked at other details, but there are probably a couple of other things that are standard on the Coupe and extra on the SUV.

SUV/sedans are generally priced lower with less standard equipment for the base model to extend downmarket for the average buyer, but can be spec'd up with optional equipment to match a coupe spec. Coupes, at least as far as the proper 2-door coupes are concerned are targeting more discerning buyers, who are willing to pay more for rarity, design, sportiness and such.
The difference in equipment is the only reason that "maked sense" for the price difference.

A sloped roof SUV has less utility, less driver visibility, less rear seat comfort and in my city is the opposite of rare. If the desire is sporty drive instead of utility to carry equipment for sports then get a small nimble well powered vehicle that can eat up winding canyon roads or demolish race tracks.

While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, attraction to the bloated pumpkin seed style doesnt make a buyer any more discerning than one attracted to a beautifully designed and crafted for its purpose vehicle.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,558 Likes on 2,174 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by parato
The difference in equipment is the only reason that "maked sense" for the price difference.

A sloped roof SUV has less utility, less driver visibility, less rear seat comfort and in my city is the opposite of rare. If the desire is sporty drive instead of utility to carry equipment for sports then get a small nimble well powered vehicle that can eat up winding canyon roads or demolish race tracks.

While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, attraction to the bloated pumpkin seed style doesnt make a buyer any more discerning than one attracted to a beautifully designed and crafted for its purpose vehicle.
Guess those who buy these want to have a coupe yet needs an SUV, so they get something that pretends to be one, it is selling pretty well in Canada, like it or not.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 663 Likes on 492 Posts
MB
The only SUV coupe that doesn't hurt my eyes is the Porsche Cayenne GT Turbo. Not sure why. Maybe it's the spoiler giving it a little more of a standard SUV appearance.

I also don't mind the Urus but it isn't advertised as a coupe even though the profile is very similar to other SUV coupes. I also didn't realize how similar the profile of the Cayenne is to the Urus; I guess they share more DNA than just the platform.

If I recall, was it the BMW X6 that created this new profile?

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 09:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Oops wrong thread sorry about that

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Yesterday at 10:21 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by wildta
The only SUV coupe that doesn't hurt my eyes is the Porsche Cayenne GT Turbo. Not sure why. Maybe it's the spoiler giving it a little more of a standard SUV appearance.

I also don't mind the Urus but it isn't advertised as a coupe even though the profile is very similar to other SUV coupes. I also didn't realize how similar the profile of the Cayenne is to the Urus; I guess they share more DNA than just the platform.

I thought so too, I thought BMW started this "coupe" style SUV too in the form of X6 then MB decided to follow.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by parato

Agreed, which is why I started out saying these things aren't really coupes. Most of what I said applies to real 2+2, 2 door coupes. I don't really know who these 4-door coupe SUV/Sedans are for. The point of a traditional coupe is that it's all about the front passengers. A coupe has a shorter wheelbase to be nimbler and all this goes towards sacrificing the rear seats. The rear seats in a real coupe are at best for small children or cargo overflow. But these 4-door coupe SUV/sedans pretend that they are still practical for rear passengers complete with their own set of doors, but then they cut the headroom and cargo space to the point where they whole SUV/sedan utility is out the door. I find these pretty pointless vehicles, so I'm totally with you.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,183 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by wildta

I think they're all abominations. But they sell well.

In my opinion, the GLE SUV is the best looking of all of them - coupe or plain SUV.
Old Today, 05:58 AM

Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
My understanding is that regulations have pushed the large sedan market to extinction. Thus everyone switched to building "crossovers".
Old Today, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jkaetz
My understanding is that regulations have pushed the large sedan market to extinction. Thus everyone switched to building "crossovers".
Thankfully we do indeed still have the S-Class Sedan as an option.
Old Today, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,747 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by jkaetz
Regulations haven't caused that, buyer preferences and demand has.
Old Today, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Actually it is rooted in regulations. Just have to go back and look at the history. It started when the EPA enacted tighter fuel efficiency and emissions regulations for passenger cars, but left light trucks largely unaffected, because back then light trucks were mainly commercial vehicles. Instead of investing in more fuel efficient engines for passenger cars, the American car makers recognized the loophole and started to market the idea of a light truck for everyone. One of these unintended side effects when policies aren't fully thought through. They specifically targeted macho men who didn't give a flying fart about others on the road with their initial marketing campaigns and as predicted, these people start to buy them and the rest is history as they say. Today many people opt for SUVs and Crossovers because they no longer feel safe in smaller or more specifically cars lower to the ground because of all those hunks of metal on the roads. Can't see out from behind them, either in a normal car. SUVs and Pickup trucks do major damage in a collision with a regular passenger car, because they generally hit above the bumper rendering much of the crumple zone ineffective. This is well documented. Ironically, SUVs and Crossovers are less safe than passenger cars due to their high center of gravity. In an evasive maneuver you wanna be low to the ground, but people feel safer the more metal they have around them.

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 05:19 PM.