GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450e vs BMW X5 xdrive50e?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2024 | 09:42 AM

BMW 550i
GLE 450e vs BMW X5 xdrive50e?

New member, so go easy on me please.

I did try the search function before posing this question (also took the time to scroll through this forum--after all, there's only 6 pages currently) to confirm this question hasn't been asked a million times before and didn't see it, but if I somehow missed it, please redirect me to it and I'll close/delete this thread so as not to be redundant.

By way of background, I am a BMW guy. I've owned (including cars I've purchased for my kids) 8 BMW's and just one Benz (2013 ML350). I share this because as much as I would like to believe I'm open-minded, I probably am somewhat favorably biased toward BMW.

I've just started researching new mid-size SUV's and was naturally drawn to the BMW X5 PHEV, but unfortunately it has a rather modest towing capacity and we plan to pull a small camper/trailer, and the PHEV version just won't cut it (the lower end non plug-in would work, as it has a larger towing capacity, but I'm currently drawn to PHEV's).

So I stumbled across the relatively new GLE450e and it not only has a significantly higher towing capacity (7700# vs 5950#), which is reason enough for me to consider purchasing one, but also gets quite a bit better all-electric range (I think it's rated at 10 miles more--48 vs 38), although real-world is likely to differ.

On the downside, my personal experience is that I prefer the driving dynamics of BMW's over MB's (never owned either an M nor an AMG), and of course the BMW is significantly quicker 0-60 than the GLE.
So after all that, my question to you fine ladies and gentlemen is this: have any of you either owned/leased both (X5 PHEV, either the 45e or 50e and a GLE450e) or at least done an extensive test drive of the BMW X5 PHEV prior to purchasing your GLE PHEV, and what were your thoughts/conclusions, specifically around driving pleasure (dynamics, acceleration, suspension/handling, etc.)?

I do believe the build quality and overall comfort of the MB is likely to be better than the BMW, but I'm really specifically interested in driving enjoyment, especially since the BMW has a turbocharged I6 whereas the MB is getting by with a 4-banger.

Also, I always buy the sport package (M-sport) in my BMW's as I really enjoy their multi-contour sport seats--I can't yet determine if MB offers any sort of upgraded sport/bolstered front seats in the GL450e--appreciate any guidance there.

It may come down to me simply having no choice really if I want a PHEV and want to tow a decent size trailer (yes, we could always downsize our trailer aspirations and buy an even lighter one without a slide that the xdrive50e could safely tow, but I'd probably rather not make that compromise).

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2024 | 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by hts123
New member, so go easy on me please.

I did try the search function before posing this question (also took the time to scroll through this forum--after all, there's only 6 pages currently) to confirm this question hasn't been asked a million times before and didn't see it, but if I somehow missed it, please redirect me to it and I'll close/delete this thread so as not to be redundant.

By way of background, I am a BMW guy. I've owned (including cars I've purchased for my kids) 8 BMW's and just one Benz (2013 ML350). I share this because as much as I would like to believe I'm open-minded, I probably am somewhat favorably biased toward BMW.

I've just started researching new mid-size SUV's and was naturally drawn to the BMW X5 PHEV, but unfortunately it has a rather modest towing capacity and we plan to pull a small camper/trailer, and the PHEV version just won't cut it (the lower end non plug-in would work, as it has a larger towing capacity, but I'm currently drawn to PHEV's).

So I stumbled across the relatively new GLE450e and it not only has a significantly higher towing capacity (7700# vs 5950#), which is reason enough for me to consider purchasing one, but also gets quite a bit better all-electric range (I think it's rated at 10 miles more--48 vs 38), although real-world is likely to differ.

On the downside, my personal experience is that I prefer the driving dynamics of BMW's over MB's (never owned either an M nor an AMG), and of course the BMW is significantly quicker 0-60 than the GLE.
So after all that, my question to you fine ladies and gentlemen is this: have any of you either owned/leased both (X5 PHEV, either the 45e or 50e and a GLE450e) or at least done an extensive test drive of the BMW X5 PHEV prior to purchasing your GLE PHEV, and what were your thoughts/conclusions, specifically around driving pleasure (dynamics, acceleration, suspension/handling, etc.)?

I do believe the build quality and overall comfort of the MB is likely to be better than the BMW, but I'm really specifically interested in driving enjoyment, especially since the BMW has a turbocharged I6 whereas the MB is getting by with a 4-banger.

Also, I always buy the sport package (M-sport) in my BMW's as I really enjoy their multi-contour sport seats--I can't yet determine if MB offers any sort of upgraded sport/bolstered front seats in the GL450e--appreciate any guidance there.

It may come down to me simply having no choice really if I want a PHEV and want to tow a decent size trailer (yes, we could always downsize our trailer aspirations and buy an even lighter one without a slide that the xdrive50e could safely tow, but I'd probably rather not make that compromise).

Thanks in advance!
Sadly the driving enjoyment is definitely the factor you will notice the most comparing the two, if you want fun you really need a GLE 53 very least. I do know that forum member parato has a GLE 450e so you could ask them about the same questions you asked. https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post9044634
Old 10-09-2024 | 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have no experience with the e version, but I'll make a general statement.

The 166 chassis was okay at best. It flexed and was luxury focused. BMW and (especially) Porsche handled better and were more fun to drive.

The 167 chassis was a dramatic improvement and MB finally turned out a good handling SUV.

With the right equipment I think they're all in about the same league.

Then when you add the performance versions - AMG (especially with ARC) - MB pulls ahead a bit.

The equipment and the specification you choose will determine which one is more fun.
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:12 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
My biggest reservation about 50e is the CEL issues people are experiencing and posting about on BimmerPost. You always see all kind of issues discussed on forums but that one has both, the severity and the volume of complains for a single MY to assume there is something to it for sure.
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by stktyz33
My biggest reservation about 50e is the CEL issues people are experiencing and posting about on BimmerPost. You always see all kind of issues discussed on forums but that one has both, the severity and the volume of complains for a single MY to assume there is something to it for sure.
Is this part of the stop sale? Maybe they are fixing it? I did read from another thread here there is a model line wide stop sale.
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:31 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Is this part of the stop sale? Maybe they are fixing it? I did read from another thread here there is a model line wide stop sale.
I think the stop sale is broader than 50e and covers an unimportant part - the brakes...

The CEL is something they've been trying to fix for like a year with software updates and repeated hardware replacements with various degrees of success. Full 64 pages thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...025929&page=64 , and to quote the last message there as of today:

"Well after more than 13000 very enjoyable miles the dreaded HV expansion valve issue lit-up the CEL. Fortunately the valve was stuck open so no possible additional damage. The good news is that this is so common BMWNA has sent lots of replacement valves to the larger dealers and my car was in the shop for one day. My mechanic joked this will be just like a routine oil change for this drivetrain. I did not laugh and said not very routine for some folks who have been out of luck for weeks at a time early on when the supply chain was stretched."

Last edited by stktyz33; 10-09-2024 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by stktyz33
I think the stop sale is broader than 50e and covers an unimportant part - the brakes...

The CEL is something they've been trying to fix for like a year with software updates and repeated hardware replacements with various degrees of success. Full 64 pages thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...025929&page=64 , and to quote the last message there as of today:

"Well after more than 13000 very enjoyable miles the dreaded HV expansion valve issue lit-up the CEL. Fortunately the valve was stuck open so no possible additional damage. The good news is that this is so common BMWNA has sent lots of replacement valves to the larger dealers and my car was in the shop for one day. My mechanic joked this will be just like a routine oil change for this drivetrain. I did not laugh and said not very routine for some folks who have been out of luck for weeks at a time early on when the supply chain was stretched."
​​​​​​That is frustrating indeed.