Sponsored By:

Got wifi in my GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 350
Got wifi in my GLE

Just got the GLE. Every time I got in the car my phone would try and pick up a wifi signal. Did some investigating.......called mb embrace with comes with the GLE. They connected my wifi and concierge service. Pretty cool. Unlimited wifi for up to 4 devices. Great for I pads and road trips not to mention my son always streaming music. The service is 28 dollars a month and comes with a 3 month trial. I'm impressed!!!
The following users liked this post:
Ali.Alkhamis (07-19-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by Theotiste
I'm impressed!!!
Me or others won't rain on your parade then. Good luck and have fun with that awesome SUV. Yours looks good with the night package!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 PM

GLE 350
I love the night package!
Thanks!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Me or others won't rain on your parade then. Good luck and have fun with that awesome SUV. Yours looks good with the night package!
When can we take the gloves off?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 AM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by skw
Ok ok.... So wifi in my mb gets my ******* hard! Go ahead rain on my parade! I tried to find out info about it on another thread and nobody responded. Figured nobody knew. Then when I called my dealer... His response was that it's something they are working on for next year, and it's not available yet, when I explained about my phone trying to pick up the signal to him he told me to call m brace. So now I have wifi!
Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 ML350BTC, '13 4Runner Trail, '12 C250 Sport
Ok ok.... So wifi in my mb gets my ******* hard! Go ahead rain on my parade! I tried to find out info about it on another thread and nobody responded. Figured nobody knew. Then when I called my dealer... His response was that it's something they are working on for next year, and it's not available yet, when I explained about my phone trying to pick up the signal to him he told me to call m brace. So now I have wifi!
Can you connect an iPad or your iPhone to your wifi and goto speediest.net and run a test. Curious to see the results
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
It's not the fastest service, 3g at this point in areas that offer it, but according to MB, they should be running 4g by end of year.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gle 450
I cancelled after the free trial, because streaming music was pretty bad. Always stopped/buffered.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skw
He said "*******" so go for it. I'll wait for you to go first because I'm actually halfway through a JDPOWER survey bashing it as we speak.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 PM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
He said "*******" so go for it. I'll wait for you to go first because I'm actually halfway through a JDPOWER survey bashing it as we speak.
I'm a she...... So If that changes things. Maybe not. Any ways update on the wifi. I did the speed test thank you for that. It was remarkably lower than the test in my home wifi. And yes it is 3G. However I tested on my drive home from work. 35 minutes of streaming Pandora......no buffering, so that's good. I will keep trying. The real test is when my 15 year old gets in the car and streams his music and snap chats all his friends at the same time. He will let me know if it speed sucks. Will update then.....but so far so good! Still love my ride💃🏿
Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I'm a she...... So If that changes things. Maybe not. Any ways update on the wifi. I did the speed test thank you for that. It was remarkably lower than the test in my home wifi. And yes it is 3G. However I tested on my drive home from work. 35 minutes of streaming Pandora......no buffering, so that's good. I will keep trying. The real test is when my 15 year old gets in the car and streams his music and snap chats all his friends at the same time. He will let me know if it speed sucks. Will update then.....but so far so good! Still love my ride💃🏿
OK, I'll be nice. All in good fun. But joking aside, I wasn't impressed with the implementation of the wi-fi and on board apps. My phone and my daughter's iPad connected easily but always seemed to be slow. And then the apps were a pain to get to and start up. Process made even worse if you go to another screen and then try to get back to it. So thumbs up for a first attempt. Hopefully they do a better job next time around or when (if?) it gets upgraded to 4G.

By the way, I hate it when I know more about a vehicle than the salesperson. I understand that I am researching 1 vehicle and they have to be familiar with several. But c'mon, this is a feature that was highlighted for months before product launch and is the same across several different models.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 AM

GLE 350
Hahaha! Seriously! I felt like I educated my sales guy and now he's going to be telling his new clients that the GLE comes with wifi!! 😂

Last edited by Theotiste; 06-22-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: New
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Too many to count
Originally Posted by heron25
It's not the fastest service, 3g at this point in areas that offer it, but according to MB, they should be running 4g by end of year.
Will 4G only be on new cars or does the hardware in current cars (MY16+) support 4G with an update or something?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 AM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by Senatov
Will 4G only be on new cars or does the hardware in current cars (MY16+) support 4G with an update or something?
That's a great question! Anybody know?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLE 350
It would all depend on what kind of 3G module is in the car today and whether or not that module can be easily replaced. It could be soldered in or it could be a removable form factor, which then could be replaced. However, even if it can be replaced there would probably be firmware development to the computer running the module to make it work. Also, depending on the processor in that computer, it may not matter. I'm not holding my breath and will be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

While it would be nice to have embedded wifi in the car you'd probably come way out ahead if you just went and picked up a wifi hotspot device from any of the big wireless carriers and just left it in your car or use your phone as a hotspot. That's what we do. Pay for it once use it wherever I want.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oops. Sorry "she." I'll only take off one glove and leave out any comparisons or sarcastic analogies that I like to use. Mine was slow. It constantly dropped a conection because my tablet would just stop working and then it would say "connected to mb" again. That happened a lot. And it was slow. It also did not like my wife's ipad, iphone, and my android devices all at once. It would usually only connect one at a time and whichever one it connected, it would then forget the others and I would have to go in and enter that long code to each device only so it could forget the first one. Especially the ipad air 2. Did I mention it was sloooooow? Plus most of our devices have their own cellular minutes and some even have unlimited data plans. So I did not see much of a use or reason to keep it. It just was not MB quality that I'm used too.