Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
W212 E63
Headlight part number need please!

Hi Guys!

I'm sick and tired of wife's GLE headlights. They are not the upgraded set up, they are the regular headlights that came in a 99' Civic.

Could one of you wise gentlemen please provide me with part numbers with the OEM headlights that actually work? I believe they're called adaptive LED's?

I saw a thread on the retrofit with aftermarket and it looks amazing, just hoping to get OEM part numbers..

Thank you for your assist!!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Hi Guys!

I'm sick and tired of wife's GLE headlights. They are not the upgraded set up, they are the regular headlights that came in a 99' Civic.

Could one of you wise gentlemen please provide me with part numbers with the OEM headlights that actually work? I believe they're called adaptive LED's?

I saw a thread on the retrofit with aftermarket and it looks amazing, just hoping to get OEM part numbers..

I did some research since I bought mine used and came with the crapy halogen headlamps. I contacted some buyers on eBay and they all told me that the LED Headlamp assembly would not be plug and play if mine was Halogen since the Plugs are different. I almost bought a pair of Like New LED Headlamps for $600.

Answering your question:
OEM PART NUMBER: A1669067802,A1669067502
Old 01-09-2017, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Wow thanks for the heads up!

Did you ever find out what it would take to install the OEM ones?

What do you think of the aftermarket route, there's a great thread about it here..
Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 AM

GLE 350 W4
Wow thanks for the heads up!

Did you ever find out what it would take to install the OEM ones?

What do you think of the aftermarket route, there's a great thread about it here..
not yet, but I have service B coming by the end of this month and will look around the GLEs at the MB dealer plus keep asking here and there.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Hi Guys!

You can't install the adaptive LED into the standard halogen headlight nor can you swap the headlight assembly. It's not plug and play and apparently the physical size is not the same. With that being said, just get yourself HID kits with 5500k bulbs and euro adapters(square hole...this is a must). Takes a few hours to do at most, easier if you take off the wheel but not required. There's a post/write up I did regarding it. I've survived torrential downpours and subfreezing michigan winters without any issues(i have morimotos, others have had success with Hylux). I compared HID to the C300 LED when I had it as a loaner, not noticeable difference(I posted some pics in the link below); you may need to rebalance your headlights though.

here's the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html

Last edited by nvsocr7; 01-10-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 AM

GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
You can't install the adaptive LED into the standard halogen headlight nor can you swap the headlight assembly. It's not plug and play and apparently the physical size is not the same. With that being said, just get yourself HID kits with 5500k bulbs and euro adapters(square hole...this is a must). Takes a few hours to do at most, easier if you take off the wheel but not required. There's a post/write up I did regarding it. I've survived torrential downpours and subfreezing michigan winters without any issues(i have morimotos, others have had success with Hylux). I compared HID to the C300 LED when I had it as a loaner, not noticeable difference(I posted some pics in the link below); you may need to rebalance your headlights though.

here's the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html
I did the HID Install as a temporary fix, but I refuse to accept that OEM LED Headlamps cant be installed. im sure is going to be a lot of work but it will be worth it.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ALDEJESUS
I did the HID Install as a temporary fix, but I refuse to accept that OEM LED Headlamps cant be installed. im sure is going to be a lot of work but it will be worth it.
IMO, after having the used a C300 loaner with the lighting package, it's not. It's worth the money to get them stock but not after the fact. I compared both and it's not really that different-I actually prefer my HID because it's brighter. You'll have to re-wire the entire lighting system. There aren't enough plugs for the adaptive system, the computer will need to be update for it which MB won't do. If you really want to spend that type of money, buy yourself some OEM halogen housings from ebay and do a proper retrofit(appropriate projectors and what not). The only thing you'll miss is the adaptive system which if you need it that badly, you may want to just trade your car in and take the financial hit to get it with the lighting package. There was a thread where the guy was able to put the components of the LED into the halogen housing but it's very involved and your warranty is pretty much voided(involved splicing wires)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
IMO, after having the used a C300 loaner with the lighting package, it's not. It's worth the money to get them stock but not after the fact. I compared both and it's not really that different-I actually prefer my HID because it's brighter. You'll have to re-wire the entire lighting system. There aren't enough plugs for the adaptive system, the computer will need to be update for it which MB won't do. If you really want to spend that type of money, buy yourself some OEM halogen housings from ebay and do a proper retrofit(appropriate projectors and what not). The only thing you'll miss is the adaptive system which if you need it that badly, you may want to just trade your car in and take the financial hit to get it with the lighting package. There was a thread where the guy was able to put the components of the LED into the halogen housing but it's very involved and your warranty is pretty much voided(involved splicing wires)
the HIDs are good and are WAAAAAAY better than the stock crap halogens that MB should not even be putting in their vehicles. The lighting package for GLE/GLS is far and beyond better than that of the C class. Lesson learned. DO NOT GET ANOTHER MB WITHOUT LIGHTING PACKAGE!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
Completely agree, I love the adaptive LED lighting package on my GLE. I wont get another vehicle without LED lights on it in the future. The amount of visibility those lights provide not just on the road but off the sides of the road makes it much safer in the dark.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 AM

it just boggles my mind why Mercedes would even think of putting pathetic lights in their high end vehicles, or in any of their vehicles for that matter. Toyota, Hyundai and honda have HID and LED lights as standard these days.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM

2017 GLE 350 4matic
they should be standard, at least on some of the MB models. I'm sure it will be that way in a couple years, MB will just get some buyers to pay for the packages until then.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by baobay
it just boggles my mind why Mercedes would even think of putting pathetic lights in their high end vehicles, or in any of their vehicles for that matter. Toyota, Hyundai and honda have HID and LED lights as standard these days.
True, but then you also get their crappy/dated engines, transmission, and suspensions as "standard" as well. I'll gladly take the refined MB suspension, sound deadening, and pre-safe braking/safety features as standard while leaving LED headlights as an option. Would people be happy and not complain if MB raised the base price of the vehicle and had LED's as standard?

I find it hard to understand why anyone who doesn't want the halogen headlights has them. If you want the HID/LED headlights, I don't care if buying new or used, get one with the lighting package. Simple! If a vehicle doesn't have it, don't buy it. It's your money, why are you settling and paying for something that you don't really want? Now if you don't feel like ordering or taking the time to look, then don't complain.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
When we bought the GLE, the lighting package wasn't on the radar. Me, like I'm sure the rest of the people here, didn't expect the halogens to be as bad as they are. No one expects to pay $60K for a Mercedes SUV and then be disappointed at the headlights. I've owned 6 benzes and 4 we're amazing AMG's and not one was a disappointment. Even the GLE is amazing. I go from driving a sub 4 second X5M into the wife's GLE and I love every minute of it. With that said, there's no way I would have ever expected to have such crappy headlights. I'm sure the rest of the guys feels the same way. Knowing what I know now, yes I would have spent more time looking and found one with the proper lighting. But that ain't in the cards so I'm just gonna ***** about it until I feel I've gotten it off my chest.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
When we bought the GLE, the lighting package wasn't on the radar. Me, like I'm sure the rest of the people here, didn't expect the halogens to be as bad as they are. No one expects to pay $60K for a Mercedes SUV and then be disappointed at the headlights. I've owned 6 benzes and 4 we're amazing AMG's and not one was a disappointment. Even the GLE is amazing. I go from driving a sub 4 second X5M into the wife's GLE and I love every minute of it. With that said, there's no way I would have ever expected to have such crappy headlights. I'm sure the rest of the guys feels the same way. Knowing what I know now, yes I would have spent more time looking and found one with the proper lighting. But that ain't in the cards so I'm just gonna ***** about it until I feel I've gotten it off my chest.
X5M, sweet!

My prior post wasn't directed at you specifically, off the soap box now. It's one thing being disappointed at the quality of the lights, quite another at the sheer number of people who are surprised that their vehicle is equipped w/ halogen instead of HID/LED lights. There's a thread on here where I and some others have successfully installed the Morimoto HID bulbs. YMMV as I personally have had no issues but some others have.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by skw
True, but then you also get their crappy/dated engines, transmission, and suspensions as "standard" as well. I'll gladly take the refined MB suspension, sound deadening, and pre-safe braking/safety features as standard while leaving LED headlights as an option. Would people be happy and not complain if MB raised the base price of the vehicle and had LED's as standard?

I find it hard to understand why anyone who doesn't want the halogen headlights has them. If you want the HID/LED headlights, I don't care if buying new or used, get one with the lighting package. Simple! If a vehicle doesn't have it, don't buy it. It's your money, why are you settling and paying for something that you don't really want? Now if you don't feel like ordering or taking the time to look, then don't complain.
come on now...When I pay $81K for a GLS, I expect it to come with better standard headlights so I don't have to do an after market HID hack just to make it semi drive-able at night and yes I would gladly pay extra for the LED lights if they make them standard. BTW, thanks to you skw, I now have the HID lights. Your thread was EXTREMELY helpful!

Last edited by baobay; 01-18-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by skw
X5M, sweet!

My prior post wasn't directed at you specifically, off the soap box now. It's one thing being disappointed at the quality of the lights, quite another at the sheer number of people who are surprised that their vehicle is equipped w/ halogen instead of HID/LED lights. There's a thread on here where I and some others have successfully installed the Morimoto HID bulbs. YMMV as I personally have had no issues but some others have.
I know brotha, no harm! Thank you for the HID thread, you are a pioneer and we all benefit from the contributions!

come on now...When I pay $81K for a GLS, I expect it to come with better standard headlights so I don't have to do an after market HID hack just to make it semi drive-able at night and yes I would gladly pay extra for the LED lights if they make them standard. BTW, thanks to you skw, I now have the HID lights. Your thread was EXTREMELY helpful!
Dude your GLS didn't have HID's even?? I thought for sure it was only the GLE's that got the short end of the stick. I feel a whole lot better now.

How do you like the retrofit set up? Is it a viable option?

Would you kindly with a cherry on top post links to parts needed to convert? I will be sending you via first class mail an abundance of good karma for 2017.

Also, another problem I noticed with these **** lights is that they shine too high if that makes sense. When I step on the gas even slightly it seems like I'm blinding incoming traffic. Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM

I know brotha, no harm! Thank you for the HID thread, you are a pioneer and we all benefit from the contributions!

Dude your GLS didn't have HID's even?? I thought for sure it was only the GLE's that got the short end of the stick. I feel a whole lot better now.

How do you like the retrofit set up? Is it a viable option?

Would you kindly with a cherry on top post links to parts needed to convert? I will be sending you via first class mail an abundance of good karma for 2017.

Also, another problem I noticed with these **** lights is that they shine too high if that makes sense. When I step on the gas even slightly it seems like I'm blinding incoming traffic. Anyone else experience this?
The HID setup is adequate. MUCH better than the CRAPOGENS that came standard.
here you go my friend. Everything you need to know is in this thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...on-lights.html

You may also find this thread very helpful
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html

Last edited by baobay; 01-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

2017 GLE 350 4matic
Hate to pile on, but that is another benefit of the LED lighting package on the GLE......the headlights are self leveling and they bend into the curve as the car turns. I believe they can curve up to 12 degrees.....but I might be a little off on that number, but it is noticeable at night when you drive.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
CRAPOGENS
+1.

I chuckled
Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 AM

c class
HELLO MR TheVazha ....if you need any help to retrofits you Led lights on your GLE please send me praivet messege
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sari shub
HELLO MR TheVazha ....if you need any help to retrofits you Led lights on your GLE please send me praivet messege
have oyu retrofitted an LED setup on a GLE/GLS?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM

c class
have oyu retrofitted an LED setup on a GLE/GLS?
Of course ,im expert retrofits
Old 03-23-2017, 02:12 PM

c class

This an of my work
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM

can you send pic with finished product? Does it work with all the functions?
Thank you. I am interested as well but need more info.