GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Storage bin in front of cupholders BURNING hot!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznxnitro
That I didn't noticed..but I did feel the cool air with the ac on.. I tried driving without the heat on yesterday for an hour and it was perfectly fine. I just hope they don't tell me that this is normal.
you can see my earlier comment, but this is probably how it's going to be. ron
Old 02-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
So I bought the car to the shop... they said it's normal... it is normal for that area to be warm when the heat is on... they supposedly took the center console apart to make sure that all the tubes and venting are good. I guess I just won't put my phone there during the winter.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
So I bought the car to the shop... they said it's normal... it is normal for that area to be warm when the heat is on... they supposedly took the center console apart to make sure that all the tubes and venting are good. I guess I just won't put my phone there during the winter.
That's BS. I keep my phone there also.....all winter long, with the heat blasting. Why is it neither my phone nor the compartment itself is the least bit hot.....not even slightly warm.

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 02-28-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
It troubles me that MB hasn't learned its lesson from the dreaded heated seat fires. Never heard about this? Just Google "Mercedes heated seat fires". MB chose to ignore this problem as well....that is, until they were forced to settle a massive class action lawsuit to repair 270,000 affected vehicles. Many of these defective vehicles are still on the road....unrepaired! When a car changes owners multiple times, most new owners of those cars fail to check the recall history of that vehicle. Whenever you purchase a pre-owned vehicle, that should be the first thing you check (using the link below). Recall repairs are ALWAYS free of charge. Many other brands have had this same problem, but over the last ten years MB has had the highest incidence of car fires started by heated seats than any other brand.

This only affected older models, so no need to panic now.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/9-investi...ires/705020378

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM

GLE350
It’s very frustrating... many of the dealers I called also said it’s normal. The dealer I brought it to actually kept it over night to take it apart.

Dont know what to do now. At least it’s on record of anything happens.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
It’s very frustrating... many of the dealers I called also said it’s normal. The dealer I brought it to actually kept it over night to take it apart.

Dont know what to do now. At least it’s on record of anything happens.
The bad thing is, now you can't use the only logical space to store your cellphone.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Removable Rubber Insert

I just discovered the rubber insert in that compartment is removable. Put your fingers on the inner top portion of the compartment. You'll feel a rubber tab (pictured). Pull that tab and the whole insert comes out. You'll notice in the pic, there are three rectangular protrusions on the back of the rubber insert. These plug the holes that should now be visible in the compartment itself. Put your hand near the holes and see if you feel heat emanating. These are the only openings in that compartment. Therefore, by a process of elimination, this has to be where the heat is coming from. If you don't feel an actual current of warm air, then something behind the compartment itself is generating heat.

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 03-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM

GLE350
That is exactly where the warm air is coming from. They are saying that it’s normal.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:03 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
That is exactly where the warm air is coming from. They are saying that it’s normal.
Did you remove the rubber insert and feel warm air coming out of the holes?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM

GLE350
Yup that’s where I felt the air... they said it’s normal because that’s where the ducts are
Old 03-04-2018, 11:09 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Yup that’s where I felt the air... they said it’s normal because that’s where the ducts are
OK, I just performed a test. My car was in the garage. The overhead garage door was open. The outside temperature was 47 degrees Fahrenheit. I started the engine and let it warm to running temp. Then, I went through the below steps:
  • Removed the rubber insert
  • Turned the heat up to maximum temp and waited for it to get hot
  • Turned the fan speed up to maximum setting
  • Went through every combination of vent settings

Results -

I could not feel any air whatsoever coming out of those three holes. That compartment actually remained "cold", while I could simultaneously feel hot air blowing on my face and legs. Every set of vents was blowing hot air and that compartment remained, not normal room temp, but just as cold as the rest of my garage.

Conclusion -

What you're experiencing is by no means normal. Something is going on behind there, and there's a definite defect. I don't believe them when they say they took your dashboard apart.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:12 AM

GLE350
Thanks!!! I’m going to see if I can bring it in to another dealer and let them check it out. I do find it very strange that its’normal’
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 AM

GLE350
Just wanted to point out that that area doesn’t heat up until about an hour of drive. I’m going to monitor a bit more and report back.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Just wanted to point out that that area doesn’t heat up until about an hour of drive. I’m going to monitor a bit more and report back.
I store my cell phone in there all of time....on long and short drives. It's never been even the least bit hot.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 43
2018 GLE 43. Happens to me but what gets real hot is the metal (metal looking?) border of the touchpad. I've read other threads here stating same issue. No one has a fix. One person said heat was probably on for the rear vents, but this last happened when A/C was on and air temp can't be controlled from the rear seats in my GLE. My guess is the cooling "system" in the cup holder has something to do with it, or it's just when it's real hot outside... and blowing underneath the car... vehicle is hot all the way around thus making it more susceptible. This seems like one of those situations that'll never be fixed by a dealer, and creates endless threads in forums like these. But, I wanted to make note of it here so others know it's a known issue.