GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Storage bin in front of cupholders BURNING hot!

Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Storage bin in front of cupholders BURNING hot!

I have a brand new GLE350 W4 with heated/cooled cupholders. Just arrived home and had kid sleeping in backseat so I idled the vehicle for about ten minutes. When I shut off car, I grabbed a set of keys in the bin just in front of cupholders towards front of car. They were burning hot. I then touched the surface and again burning hot! I'm a little worried this was smoking hot & I had not used cupholder elements anytime close to this for those who may think it's that. Can others check that little cubby space on their GLE's and report back? I'll use a laser thermometer next time I drive it & post actual temperature.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boston:
Aznxnitro (02-27-2018), Gino2 (02-20-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
My wife keeps hand gel in that bin and I've never noticed it being hot. (I've got the heated and cooled cup holders too)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
My wife keeps hand gel in that bin and I've never noticed it being hot. (I've got the heated and cooled cup holders too)
Thanks for the feedback. My GLE seems to run really hot as well but I have been told this is normal 100-103C. May bring it in as I don't want to risk a fire!
The following users liked this post:
Gino2 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - take it in - you're concerned -
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I assume your talking about the bin in front of the ashtray/lighter area (by the way, why do cars even have this area standard anymore?). Well I drove for over an hour this morning with the hot cup holder turned on and the bin and un-needed ashtray area was room temperature. Even the plastic top lip around the cup holders was cool.
Just some FYI. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
I assume your talking about the bin in front of the ashtray/lighter area (by the way, why do cars even have this area standard anymore?). Well I drove for over an hour this morning with the hot cup holder turned on and the bin and un-needed ashtray area was room temperature. Even the plastic top lip around the cup holders was cool.
Just some FYI. Good luck.
"BACn"- Thanks for the feedback; I clearly have a problem! I could not agree more about the ashtray... what a waste of Auto RE! A changeholder for tolls is pretty much unneeded now with EZ Passes. MB should look at the changing trends & be on the forefront of innovations like a slot in the container up behind rear view mirror to hold EZ pass. Or a shelf/slot to put your key (for keyless go vehicles) so people don't put them in heated cupholders (AKA key melters!)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
I havent noticed that storage area being warm at all on mine. I've had phones in that area numerous times and never felt warm when I picked them up.
Don't think the area in front of the cup holders in mine is an ashtray, looks like just a small storage box. It doesnt have a lid on it. I just toss some spare change in it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
my '16 does not have the cup holder option. that little area gets very hot when the heat is on. my guess is the heater or some duct work is right behind it. you can ask dealer for some comfort. i just store my milky ways in another spot. good luck, ron
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Boston
I could not agree more about the ashtray... what a waste of Auto RE!
Agreed. I can't figure out what MB is doing. Some cars come with an ashtray. Others come with a rubber storage compartment. And this is within the same country! The GLE43 Coupe I test drove came with an ashtray, so I naturally assumed mine will come with the same. To anyone interested, I ordered one of these. MB refers to it simply as "insert". It replaces the ashtray. It's part no. 1666830394. You can order one at the link below, or have your dealer order it for you.

https://mercedespartscenter.com/part...=Mercedes-Benz
Attached Thumbnails Storage bin in front of cupholders BURNING hot!-insert-front.jpg  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by rcsjr
my '16 does not have the cup holder option. that little area gets very hot when the heat is on. my guess is the heater or some duct work is right behind it. you can ask dealer for some comfort. i just store my milky ways in another spot. good luck, ron

This... I noticed on a long road trip (had the head on) and i had my phone in the little cubby..when i pulled it out it was really hot. I think there is ducting in there. I would not worry about it..
Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
if there are heat ducts in there, probably not a good idea to place a phone in there when the heat is running.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good point Ron. It has been unseasonably warm here and I haven't had to use the heat. As a matter of fact I've had the windows down the last few days. But the heating duct going through that area is a probable solution. They have to run the heat somewhere to get back to the center rear vents. I'm going on a road trip to go skiing tomorrow. I'll try to pay attention after I have the heat on.

How do you get the ashtray out? Sorry OP.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
.How do you get the ashtray out?
It pulls straight up and out.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
As I have advised you in your "2nd/other thread" - if you have that "heat" concern - then I suggest you take it to the dealer.

When the cupholder is set to heat (or cool) the cup holder element activates when the a "cup" is inserted pressing down the cup-holder-arm which is the circuit switch.

Yes - it has a thermal and electric cutoff - that said I have seen people put metal vacuum-walled cups/bottles in there - with heat function activated - won't do a dang thing for their drink in their vac-insulated container - and yes - things will get hot..

But you need to get this looked at - it's your genuine concern
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do agree with fabbrisd1. We can talk about it all day. I would have it looked at too. Get it heated up one day and drive it into the dealership. When you get there and it's heated up, don't turn the car off till they look at it.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
Was there a resolution to this? I just picked up my 2018 GLE yesterday and mine is the same way. I placed my phone there not knowing it's warm... now I don't know where to put my phone while driving.

Boston..did you bring it back to dealer? What did they say? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Aznxnitro
Was there a resolution to this? I just picked up my 2018 GLE yesterday and mine is the same way. I placed my phone there not knowing it's warm... now I don't know where to put my phone while driving.

Just so we're clear, are you referring to the compartment directly adjacent to the 12V outlet? In some cars, this is the ashtray. In others, there's a rubber insert in its place (pictured below). Which do you have? I replaced my ashtray with this rubber insert. It never gets warm, so this is not normal.

Also, does this happen right after using the heated cup holders? There's an amber LED just to the rear of the cup holders. This is an indicator light that stays lit after the heated cup holders are turned off. It goes out to indicate they're no longer warm. Never close the cup holder compartment until this LED goes out.

I store my phone in the compartment directly beneath the HVAC controls. Have you ever considered using this for your phone?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:27 AM

GLE350

Actually it is the compartment above the ashtray that I am referring to

see below. Thanks for getting back to me!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Actually it is the compartment above the ashtray that I am referring to. See below. Thanks for getting back to me!
Oh, OK. Yes, there's something defective here. That's the compartment I use and I've never noticed it to be hot. I would have this looked at ASAP. Anything that gets hot and is not supposed to, presents a potential risk of fire. Just ask BMW. Their mysterious car fires are well documented, and they still haven't pinpointed the origin.
The following users liked this post:
Aznxnitro (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM

GLE350
Thanks GLE43... sigh it's frustrating to know there is something wrong with a brand new car.... never had these kind of problems with the Japanese cars...
Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Thanks GLE43... sigh it's frustrating to know there is something wrong with a brand new car.... never had these kind of problems with the Japanese cars...
Please keep us all posted on your progress.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM

GLE350
So I made an appointment to bring it in on Wednesday. But I started to do some investigation work myself. It looks like it is related to the heating system, I can feel the hot air coming out when I remove the rubber piece and if I change it to a/c I can feel the cold air. Don’t know if this is normal or not but I guess if I don’t turn the heat on then that storage space is fine.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
So I made an appointment to bring it in on Wednesday. But I started to do some investigation work myself. It looks like it is related to the heating system, I can feel the hot air coming out when I remove the rubber piece and if I change it to a/c I can feel the cold air. Don’t know if this is normal or not but I guess if I don’t turn the heat on then that storage space is fine.

Sounds like either a hose came partially loose or is ruptured and leaking air. My vote is for the former. Probably a defective hose clamp that's prone to loosening or was never tightened properly during assembly. If there's not already a technical service bulletin for this, there may be one coming. It will be a TSB rather than a recall because it's not safety related. Warm air alone won't start a fire. Good job finding this. Now you have a starting point to tell them once you do take it in.

Does the force of the air you feel vary if you adjust the fan speed?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 AM

GLE350
That I didn't noticed..but I did feel the cool air with the ac on.. I tried driving without the heat on yesterday for an hour and it was perfectly fine. I just hope they don't tell me that this is normal.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
That I didn't noticed..but I did feel the cool air with the ac on.. I tried driving without the heat on yesterday for an hour and it was perfectly fine. I just hope they don't tell me that this is normal.
That's a lazy, catch-all phrase some Service Departments use when they don't feel like diagnosing a problem that they know will require a lot of work. E.g. removing the dashboard. Some of them think we're stupid enough to believe whatever they tell us. If they try to run that line of crap on you, demand to test drive the same model on their lot.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Storage bin in front of cupholders BURNING hot!