Sponsored By:

Command Screen Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gle 450 coupe
Command Screen Issue

So my 2016 GLE 450 coupe command screen will randomly not turn on when I start the car. I have to push the power button to turn it on. I video taped it happening and took it to the dealer and they said they couldn’t replicate it and no fault code found. When I took the car back, it happened 3 times in 12 hours. Anybody heard of this before or have any suggestions before I bring it back to the dealer? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
I've never heard of this issue. Confirm that you have the latest COMAND software. If there's no newer software, ask them to re-flash the existing software. Hopefully, that'll fix this anomaly.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
My wife's Volvo had this problem a week ago.The dealer couldn't find anything.She had to bring it back & the somehow had the car's computer to Volvo's central tech center so they could check it out.

Their analysis found one wire connector was loose.They re-seated it & the problem hadn't recurred.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:12 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rpl84
So my 2016 GLE 450 coupe command screen will randomly not turn on when I start the car. I have to push the power button to turn it on.
I could be wrong, but it's this part that makes me think it's more likely software related than hardware related. COMAND is working, it's just not consistently turning on automatically.

I'd be interested in knowing what the root of the problem is when you find out.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - this CAN happen if the COMAND software has been corrupted AND the fix is to have the dealer download/reload the COMAND software - which takes about 3hrs connect time in the shop.

If your dealer has not does this yet - and if your dealer seems reluctant because they're stupid - then mention to the dealer if they refuse to re-program that you will have to call Mercedes Customer Care - and frankly any dealer does not want you to do that - since a complaint with Mercedes Customer Care starts up a whole management level complaint.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Gle 450 coupe
Thanks for the responses. I believe it’s a software issue as well. I recently had the dealership update my software to the newest version and shortly after is when the problem started. I left a voicemail for my service agent and received a call back from his service manager who told me they are going to pick up my car and dig deeper. I’ll post again when I know more.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
They really don't have to dig too much harder - they just need to reload the COMAND software.... it's not really mind-bending - but your Client Adviser is a sh*t head since he didn't have that already done for you ... probably a "glitch" .. or they downloaded one part of the software.. interupted the download... and came back later to download the remaining piece..and that causes issues.

Good luck with it - should be simple one-shop-day fix..
Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Gle 450 coupe
Update:
The issue was the starter battery. It was not holding a full charge so the system going into recovery mode when I started it. New battery fixed the issue .
Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rpl84
Update:
The issue was the starter battery. It was not holding a full charge so the system going into recovery mode when I started it. New battery fixed the issue .
Great! Good to hear they were able to pinpoint the problem. I hate intermittent problems. When you report them and techs are unable to replicate the problem, they make you feel like you're hallucinating. Like you have nothing better to do than fictionalize defects that require you to repeatedly drive to the dealer.