GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019

GLE400 with Dinantronics Sport Piggy Back Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
W205, W124, W166
GLE400 with Dinantronics Sport Piggy Back Tune

So I had done a lot of going back and forth about getting a piggy back or a full blown tune on my 400. I noticed that not very many SUV guys tune or do some simple modifications on their cars. A few of the guys here helped out on my decision, so kuddos to them. The reason I chose this was because the ease of use, being able to remove it within minutes if not under a minute, and the price was a huge factor. Price was $250 plus I got 20% off from Vivid Racing. So yeah, a damn good deal in my opinion. Dinan claimed 40 hp. and 40 ft.-lb. of torque on their highest setting (race) which is an extra 4 psi of boost. Not an aggressive or crazy amount of boost. It comes out of the box set a +3 psi of boost. I ordered the Dinantronics Sport form Vivid Racing and it came in last night.
Install was a breeze. It took me about 5 mins since I was reading how to install it correctly at first. The package it came in didn't come with instructions. They make you get online and download their installation from their website. A bit of an annoyance in my opinion. Some people say they disconnected the battery but there isn't a need to do that. So when the unit was installed and power was coming to the unit, I downloaded the app on my Note 10. Now a lot of people that has this complained over and over about the unit not connecting to the app and that's true. The app didn't recognize the unit at all. I can completely understand why this pisses people off. I sure was. After getting online and reading all the complaints I found out that if you have an android running anything newer than Android 8.0 (Oreo) it will not work because of the bluetooth updates. So yeah it sucks if you don't have access to an older phone. You're stuck with just the factory setting from Dinan on sport plus mode. Luckily my wife had an old Galaxy S6 and was still running Android 7.0. So I downloaded the app and the Dinantronics Sport connected. It takes a little time to connect but it did so I was happy.
So stock GLE400 is 329 hp and 354 ft.-lb. torque. Nothing special. I drove the car around in stock, sport plus, and race mode to see if I actually noticed any difference. I turned on the engine data under engine dynamics provided in the console to make sure it wasn't my butt assuming things. In race mode on the Dinan and Sport setting on car, it actually read more hp and torque throughout the band. Does it feel like an extra 40 hp? I can't be certain but it was much quicker and felt very peppy. It felt like driving my buddy's GLE43 without the handling of course. I can honestly say that this little box put a smile on my face. Best $250 I've spent for the car.

I'll post some pics of the unit and where I located it later on.

If there is anyone that is reluctant about doing this, don't be. It's worth it. And it's only $250.
The following 2 users liked this post by phamq1979:
KDNitz (12-14-2020), mrmotoguzzi00 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Yes, Dinan's is a wonderful little device, especially considering the price and ease of installation (or removal, if needed). IMHO, a must for any MB with V6TT 3.0L engine. In my experience, combined with a SprintBooster (or a similar device), GLE43s and GLE400s do benefit greatly.
The following users liked this post:
phamq1979 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:01 PM

W205, W124, W166
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Yes, Dinan's is a wonderful little device, especially considering the price and ease of installation (or removal, if needed). IMHO, a must for any MB with V6TT 3.0L engine. In my experience, combined with a SprintBooster (or a similar device), GLE43s and GLE400s do benefit greatly.
Thanks man for all the information you've given me. You helped me out on making the decision with the Dinan.
MBGLE400MEX (09-14-2024)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These boards are an important source of small gems just like this Dinan. I discovered initial info regarding this tuning box myself in completely unrelated threads. Got curious and one thing led to an other. The rest, as they say, is history. I am very pleased with this small but at the same time very noticeable drivability and performance improvement.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:52 AM

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
Originally Posted by phamq1979
So I had done a lot of going back and forth about getting a piggy back or a full blown tune on my 400. I noticed that not very many SUV guys tune or do some simple modifications on their cars. A few of the guys here helped out on my decision, so kuddos to them. The reason I chose this was because the ease of use, being able to remove it within minutes if not under a minute, and the price was a huge factor. Price was $250 plus I got 20% off from Vivid Racing. So yeah, a damn good deal in my opinion. Dinan claimed 40 hp. and 40 ft.-lb. of torque on their highest setting (race) which is an extra 4 psi of boost. Not an aggressive or crazy amount of boost. It comes out of the box set a +3 psi of boost. I ordered the Dinantronics Sport form Vivid Racing and it came in last night.
Install was a breeze. It took me about 5 mins since I was reading how to install it correctly at first. The package it came in didn't come with instructions. They make you get online and download their installation from their website. A bit of an annoyance in my opinion. Some people say they disconnected the battery but there isn't a need to do that. So when the unit was installed and power was coming to the unit, I downloaded the app on my Note 10. Now a lot of people that has this complained over and over about the unit not connecting to the app and that's true. The app didn't recognize the unit at all. I can completely understand why this pisses people off. I sure was. After getting online and reading all the complaints I found out that if you have an android running anything newer than Android 8.0 (Oreo) it will not work because of the bluetooth updates. So yeah it sucks if you don't have access to an older phone. You're stuck with just the factory setting from Dinan on sport plus mode. Luckily my wife had an old Galaxy S6 and was still running Android 7.0. So I downloaded the app and the Dinantronics Sport connected. It takes a little time to connect but it did so I was happy.
So stock GLE400 is 329 hp and 354 ft.-lb. torque. Nothing special. I drove the car around in stock, sport plus, and race mode to see if I actually noticed any difference. I turned on the engine data under engine dynamics provided in the console to make sure it wasn't my butt assuming things. In race mode on the Dinan and Sport setting on car, it actually read more hp and torque throughout the band. Does it feel like an extra 40 hp? I can't be certain but it was much quicker and felt very peppy. It felt like driving my buddy's GLE43 without the handling of course. I can honestly say that this little box put a smile on my face. Best $250 I've spent for the car.

I'll post some pics of the unit and where I located it later on.

If there is anyone that is reluctant about doing this, don't be. It's worth it. And it's only $250.
thanks for the feedback... just picked up 43 for my wife (and occasionally me! ) and WeatherTech mats and a little tune are first on the list.

Did you ever consider the RaceChips S tune?
seems odd that Dinan won't update for newer bluetooth and Android... it's only going to get more outdated...

do you leave it in race? also, do you need a data plan or wifi to speak to the gizmo?

I have few old android devices I use in my shop that I use to take pics and mirror to my flat screen in the garage when I'm working on my vehicles... it just connects to my wifi but I don't have regular service or mobile data on it...
thanks for sharing!
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Huummmmm. Maybe I need to look into this more.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Dinan... what a waste... it seems the app needs BT 4.0 but won't work with Android OS greater than 8.0?

I have a few older phones with Android 8.0 or less BUT not with BT 4.0...

I will be sharing this on all boards I frequent... Looks like I'll be a trying the Race Chip S...
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whitewagon
Dinan... what a waste... it seems the app needs BT 4.0 but won't work with Android OS greater than 8.0?

I will be sharing this on all boards I frequent... Looks like I'll be a trying the Race Chip S...
The point of Dinan is not the "app" (IMHO it is set - in S+ or Race - and forget and never to be used), but rather the unit itself: price, customer support, brand quality, extreme ease of installation (and removal if needed) since it is only a one sensor instead of three sensors for any Racechip units, and most importantly the box itself does exactly what is advertised. Additionally the box comes with 30+ days of no question ask return policy.

Last edited by threeMBs; 05-09-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:25 PM

The point of Dinan is not the "app" (IMHO it is set - in S+ or Race - and forget and never to be used), but rather the unit itself: price, customer support, brand quality, extreme ease of installation (and removal if needed) since it is only a one sensor instead of three sensors for any Racechip units, and most importantly the box itself does exactly what is advertised. Additionally the box comes with 30+ days of no question ask return policy.
I like the idea of valet mode when my daughter drives.. also while I like race mode, my wife would not...

unlike the race chip device, which you can switch without an app, Dinan is stuck in one mode.

in this day and age, it's wholly unacceptable for Dinan to not support current technology... makes me wonder...
Old 05-09-2020, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like the idea of valet mode when my daughter drives.. also while I like race mode, my wife would not...

unlike the race chip device, which you can switch without an app, Dinan is stuck in one mode.

in this day and age, it's wholly unacceptable for Dinan to not support current technology... makes me wonder...
Maybe it is not an ideal device if a vehicle is used by multiple people with different requirements or for those "into todays' tech", but for me Dinan is that ideal easy install (and hardly noticeable under the hood, unlike relatively huge cables of Racechip) with just enough power/drivability addition to make GLE43 actually drivable. I find GLE43 to be lethargic without Dinan. (You must be out of your mind to even consider letting your child drive in "valet" mode - there is enough boost decrease that on a freeway, especially when merging or if decisive action is required, it is an accident in waiting).
Old 05-09-2020, 07:09 PM

Maybe it is not an ideal device if a vehicle is used by multiple people with different requirements or for those "into todays' tech", but for me Dinan is that ideal easy install (and hardly noticeable under the hood, unlike relatively huge cables of Racechip) with just enough power/drivability addition to make GLE43 actually drivable. I find GLE43 to be lethargic without Dinan. (You must be out of your mind to even consider letting your child drive in "valet" mode - there is enough boost decrease that on a freeway, especially when merging or if decisive action is required, it is an accident in waiting).
I had a Dinan tune on an older E60 5 series... it was very good 12 years ago..Have a JB4 on my X1 35i that I autocross...many more choices out there... Dinan needs to step up and you need to lighten up...
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44 PM

W205, W124, W166
I think for $250 you can't go wrong with this unit even if all you get is what comes from factory +3 PSI which most likely equates to 30hp and 30tq. I believe mode gives you +1 PSI (10hp and 10tq). To most drivers getting an extra 30 hp and torques is plenty. Most aren't trying find digs and pulls at lights. But if people want more than there's better out there.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM

W205, W124, W166
thanks for the feedback... just picked up 43 for my wife (and occasionally me! ) and WeatherTech mats and a little tune are first on the list.

Did you ever consider the RaceChips S tune?
seems odd that Dinan won't update for newer bluetooth and Android... it's only going to get more outdated...

do you leave it in race? also, do you need a data plan or wifi to speak to the gizmo?

I have few old android devices I use in my shop that I use to take pics and mirror to my flat screen in the garage when I'm working on my vehicles... it just connects to my wifi but I don't have regular service or mobile data on it...
thanks for sharing!
Yeah i did consider the RaceChip but since the Dinan was much cheaper I thought I'd try that out first. You don't need a data plan. You can just use your home wifi. Dinan recommends only changing the setting of the tune while the car is on but not running. So i usually just do that every morning before I head out. I agree with you that Dinan needs to update this so it can work on newer devices. i have a feeling that they are trying to phase them out though.
But all in all I am happy with the unit.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 AM

I got the Dinan gizmo yesterday and will get it installed... Early Saturday am I'll give it a good run. A buddy owes me session on his dyno but since this is 4matic, he can't run it but I can at least get his opinion on it...

I was able to dig out an old Galaxy S6 phone and the app at least loaded and opened on the phone. there was a comment on the app site that someone reached out to Dinan and they sent him an email with the APK file that would work on Android 10... I've sent Dinan an email so we shall see... hopefully this will be a nice surprise
Old 05-16-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I realize you posted above BEFORE you even bought/installed the unit. Now that you have installed it, was wondering if you consider retracting the above?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:16 AM

I realize you posted above BEFORE you even bought/installed the unit. Now that you have installed it, was wondering if you consider retracting the above?
the issues above have not changed... iit's more about usability of the product and it will continue to get worse, as android continues to get updated well beyond version 8...

I have reached out to Dinan about getting the APK sent... it seems another person reached out directly to Dinan and was emailed an update...

I will say I did note a brief lag on throttle response. I was able to compare this turbo engine vs my NA V8 in my Aston Martin this weekend... the Aston has virtually no throttle lag and obviously no turbo lag, so some form of throttle software may me appropriate...

I am considering the RaceChip set up because you can control both throttle setting and tune setting from one app at the same time...
Old 06-03-2020, 12:07 PM

the issues above have not changed... iit's more about usability of the product and it will continue to get worse, as android continues to get updated well beyond version 8...

I have reached out to Dinan about getting the APK sent... it seems another person reached out directly to Dinan and was emailed an update...

I will say I did note a brief lag on throttle response. I was able to compare this turbo engine vs my NA V8 in my Aston Martin this weekend... the Aston has virtually no throttle lag and obviously no turbo lag, so some form of throttle software may me appropriate...

I am considering the RaceChip set up because you can control both throttle setting and tune setting from one app at the same time...
wanted to update this thread.

I was able to speak with Ryan at Dinan and there is a new version of app that will support Android 10. It requires you to remove the existing app and upload a new revision.

This will certainly add to the usability factor of this tune, which for $250 is very reasonable in its price vs performance increase without bolt on accessories, e.t.c.

I still need to address some throttle lag, as I spent a good bit of wheel time with the GLE 43 AMG yesterday...

any comments on throttle tunes such Pedal Box or Sprint Booster?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

any comments on throttle tunes such Pedal Box or Sprint Booster?
Both do exactly what they are supposed to do - significantly (IMHO) reduce, even if not totally eliminate, a dangerous throttle delay characteristics of W166 platform (same applies to most other MBs). While some say Pedal Box offers more precise adjustability, I am very happy with V3 SB (as I'm with Dinan). Have/had SB V2 and V3 on most of my MBs (never tried PB).

Last edited by threeMBs; 06-03-2020 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE
Hi, I am thinking to install a piggyback on my 2016 GLE400 and am considering dinan sport.

​​​​​​My only concern is the long run reliability of my engine with the chip considering it ran for over 110k Km now. All replies are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:54 PM

W205, W124, W166

Originally Posted by Firas_GLE
Hi, I am thinking to install a piggyback on my 2016 GLE400 and am considering dinan sport.

​​​​​​My only concern is the long run reliability of my engine with the chip considering it ran for over 110k Km now. All replies are appreciated.

I can't give you honest long term reliability use with the engine since I've only had it for a couple months. But based on the small amount of additional psi I would say that its not enough to damage your engine.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 PM

the tune is rather tame.

if your afraid of long term durability, keep it stock.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 AM

2016 GLE
Thanks for the replies. I am only worried about the engine but Mercedes use the same engine to generate 390 HP in the GLE43, so I guess a 30 hp more will not hurt.

Anyways, I ordered one today and we will see how it goes. If you want I will update this thread once I try it out.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This tune appears to be safe, however there's no-one on these boards with it installed for years that I know of. If there are any longevity concerns, do not use RACE mode. Keeping it in SPORT+ mode will still produce noticeable improvement over stock. Probably the "safest" mode is SPORT, but it produces the least noticeable improvement over stock.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM

2016 GLE
This tune appears to be safe, however there's no-one on these boards with it installed for years that I know of. If there are any longevity concerns, do not use RACE mode. Keeping it in SPORT+ mode will still produce noticeable improvement over stock. Probably the "safest" mode is SPORT, but it produces the least noticeable improvement over stock.
​​​​​​
I have no intention to put it in Race ever, I will see the difference between sport & sport + and decide from there.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:50 PM

see my updated comment about the app... so you can adjust the tune
Firas_GLE (08-02-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE400 with Dinantronics Sport Piggy Back Tune