Difference between GLE and ML ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by JoelCrow
I recently sold my 2014 ML350 4matic and then bought a "newer" 2016 GLE 400 4matic. Here are the (not so obvious) differences that I have observed..

Things my ML had better:
- The ML had a softer dash where your knee rests (maybe mine was more "broken in" due to being 2 years older lol, but it's obvious when my knee hits that GLE dash area that it's not as bouncy/soft/receptive). The materials in my '19 GLE43 are better/higher quality than in my former '14 ML550.
- The GLE WILL NOT let me close the rear hatch using the key fob... I used to do this all the time with the ML (say when I brought in all the groceries and walked away from the open hatch, I could fob it closed from inside the house on the ML). WIth the GLE, I have to actually walk back out to the car and press the close button (booooooo). Take your GLE to your dealer as yours is broken as that function is still there.
- The GLE seems to have the more jerky transmission (when switching at slow speeds around 2nd gear) like the newer 2020+ vehicles have. My ML wasn't perfectly smooth, but it was no where near this jerky (I have had both transmissions serviced). Actually agree here: GLEs with V6TT have a jerky 9-speed tranny.
- The ML had more rear seat leg room... I know it's supposed to be the same car inside, but for some reason my GLE seems to be more cramped in the back seat. Is the dash bigger in the GLE (Pushing the front seats back an extra inch or two)? Are the seats further forward in the rear? Not sure, but it was obvious the first time I went to go sit in the back seat. That is because GLE does have a bit more leg room upfront.
- I preferred the all tan interior of the ML over the brown carpet floor of the GLE. I just liked having everything be tan, even in the floor boards. Color choice/preference is not car's "fault".
- The GLE has the double-sun roof that is really pretty, but it's much noisier with wind and outside sounds when you're on the expressway. In the ML, I could slide the smaller sunroof door closed and completely silence the interior on the highway. Apples to oranges comparison: noise of pano roof vs. standard sunroof?.
- The GLE has the STEWPID Auto Start/Stop "feature" that I absolutely hate. It actually engaged while I was coasting in a parking lot the other day and restarted as I was turning that just felt awful, made a pedestrian think I had hit the gas to try and push them out of the way. This feature is SO DUMB and ANNOYING! I also do not like this feature but it was also available on ML for MY 2015. In any case a press of a button disables it until a car is started again, this is what I do each time I start the car.
- The GLE drives/parks larger than the ML did. I just don't feel the GLE is as small and nimble as the ML (yes I really do know they are the same car other than just a few fenders/headlights, but I CAN TELL it's different way more than I expected) Really?
- The GLE 400 power is a tiny bit delayed compared to the ML... the ML really seemed to pull from low and then just keep on pulling really linearly compared to my GLE 400. When you pull onto an onramp, the GLE seems a tiny bit hesitant and then al of a sudden you're doing 105mph. Where the ML felt a harder pedal and started to pull lower in the press. This may have also been because of my sprintbooster now that I think about it.Again apples vs. oranges - install SB in GLE too (I have/had it on all W166s).
- My GLE has the heated/cooled cupholders, but for some reason the right cupholder is a lot smaller than the left. So buying two water bottles for a road trip often means one has to go in the door instead of the 2nd cupholder... there's only enough space or like a small late cup. Again not car's fault - your GLE has more equipment than your former ML.
- The door handle spot where you can unlock/lock the car by touch was FAR more sensitive on my ML than the newer GLE. I never even really concentrated with the ML, just half-assed touched the door handle and the car would love/unlock. On the GLE, I really have to touch JUST the little spot or hold my hand in the handle for a 0.5 second longer and while the delay is so small that most folks won't notice it, I have noticed a few times now where I walk away and don't get the door lock as easily. Take your car in to be checked - I observe no such differences at all.
- While the infotainment screen is larger/more colorful/nicer on the GLE, it still requires the old wheel dial to enter an address for navigation that takes like 10 mins to enter and ultimately gets turned off because my wife will have google maps pulled up on her phone in like 5 seconds and tell me not to fiddle with it. So it looks beautiful but we never use it. I think there's a button to say commands, but I'm not yet sure if I can say "navigate to Billy Bobs House of Biscuits" and it be smart enough to know what I mean. The only time this wins is when we're driving in a national park and there's no wireless signal, thankfully the MBComand still knows where things are and will route you with directions without any wifi/cellular signal.

Things my GLE has better...
- Sex appeal! The newer AMG style exterior that I have on this version with the 5 spoke 20" wheels and the low front bumper, all the chrome, the rear spoiler, the huge sunroof, the step side that lights up the ground all around the car at night, the silly "Batman" light that shines a Mercedes logo on the ground, and everything all together make this one beautifully well-balanced looking car compared to the ML! Again, it's a refresh on the design, but it's VERY pretty and everyone compliments me.
- Power! The GLE400 will go from slow to "oh my god that is jail time if any cop sees me" very very quickly! Yes I know that I complained about felt horsepower/response above, but overall this car is STUPID fast. Cannot even imagine what an AMG or V8 must feel like. I now totally understand how many full size pickup trucks are using turbo V6s now-a-days, this GLE will absolutely SMOKE just about anyone who pulls up next to me and wants to get flirty at a red light.
- Towability... My ML did not come with an installed tow port so I never got to try it out. This newer GLE has a tow port, power outlet, sway bar hookup, all neatly tucked under the rear bumper and I KNOW this engine is powerful enough to tow.
- I like being able to handwrite letters on the bulbous control pad thing, that's a little helpful compared to the 2014 single wheel control.
- The newer GLE has better ventilated seats. This may be because the seat isn't as worn out from fat people like me as my ML was (so there's more plume for air to flow around inside it), but it's a much cooler seat compared to teh ML which is nice for my post-COVID-era back fat in the summer heat.

I'm sure I'll think of others. Overall, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably not sell my ML - it was a little bit better in things that I notice... and IT WAS $18,000 CHEAPER than my GLE

Hope this is helpful for anyone currently thinking about buying one of these W166's and trying to figure out the real differences, not just the spec sheet comparisons.

Take care,
Joel

I have both '15 ML63(prior to 63 had '14 ML550) and '19 GLE43. I disagree with most all items under "better in ML". Responses are imbedded in the above text.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
Hi Joel,
Interesting take on your cars. Thanks for writing.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 CL550
Good to hear a lot of my issues are easy fixes! Will see if the dealer can help on a couple (I'd be a lot happier if so), and maybe just check myself on others! lol

Take care,
Joel