GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New guy here, considering 2017 CPO GLE 350, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLE 350
New guy here, considering 2017 CPO GLE 350, what to look for?

Hi folks,

New guy here in the MB world. Coming from a 2015 BMW 528i, I'm considering letting it go and get a 2017 CPO GLE 350 rear wheel drive fully loaded with about 49k miles for about $35,000 out of door. We have a 2017 Audi Q7 in the house bought new as well, so we are pretty familiar with German brands so to speak. I'm not sure about the code name, but guess the 2017 GLE is W166?

Well, thanks in advance, before we pull the trigger (while the vehicle is being transferred to us from out of state paid by dealer), I have a few questions to ask.

1. How reliable is the 2017 GLE 350? What's the realistic life span provided this is a CPO?
2. What to look for when we do inspection on the vehicle?
3. This vehicle has the 23P driving package, that means it has full range adaptive cruise control from 0 to something MPH, correct?
4. Not sure if this vehicle still has live traffic information, dealer is not sure as it's transferred from another dealer out of state. But if it doesn't come with live traffic, is there a way to pay and get it activated? How much would it cost? In our 2015 528i, the live traffic cost only $50 a year (only traffic info, but BMW has disabled renewal to this service this year claiming 3G connection is no longer supported by carriers), while the Q7 cost $199 for six months (this activates the google earth map overlay as well).
5. How quiet or noisy is this vehicle compares to BMW or Audi, if you have the first person experience?
6. Is $35,000 out of door for this vehicle considered a good, fair or bad price?

Any info is highly appreciated!

Last edited by BigBellyDude; 07-11-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! The W166 platform is arguably the most reliable M-B in a good long while.

1. Very reliable, if you get the gasoline V6. This engine is part of the reason the W166 is as reliable as it is.

2. Look for cosmetic defects (paint scratches, wheel rash, stained or cut seating material) and leaking oil at the front of the engine. The engine has a common small leak at the front of the cylinder head that is not terribly expensive at the dealer, or can be done DIY. Use any of these inspection items as negotiating points. Important: engine air filter is due at 50k miles and spark plugs are due at 60k miles. Negotiate the air filter change into the purchase and try to negotiate free spark plug replacement at 60k miles.

3. I don’t have Distronic so am not able to comment on this.

4. Live traffic should be possible through a Sirius subscription. The radio/COMAND unit is capable of it. I have live traffic on my 2017.

5. Quietness is not substantially different. My wife drives a current model BMW X3 and I previously drove a late model VW Touareg, built on the same platform as the Q7. All of these vehicles are same realm for quietness.

6. Not sure. Sounds OK but shop around. The price doesn’t sound egregiously high.

Last edited by chassis; 07-11-2021 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BigBellyDude (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 10:03 AM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
if the vehicle has CPO Mercedes has gone over the car to look at most major issues and gives you a warranty...
Still, i would get PPI (pre purchase inspecton) from third party local indy shop...

I have distronic system... it's ok on highway trips but I find it useful in traffic.

price seems reasonable in this market. ask dealer for VMI report...

The following 2 users liked this post by whitewagon:
BigBellyDude (07-11-2021), chassis (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
x2 on doing proper inspection.
When officially the CPO inspection list takes several pages, other members reported that some dealers don't observe it, so it is hit or miss.
I just bought non CPO vehicle and dealer presented me with $2700 receipt for the jobs they performed on the car to make it pristine, even Carfax shows pristine maintenance done at the same dealer.
Live traffic is like $3.50 option with Sirus, while their music is interrupted very often.
When build-in GPS has its advantages, the MB software sucks. The mapping is badly outdated, while the software will lead you on gravel roads to save 100 ft from distance.
Using google maps and live traffic on your android is much more reliable.
Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited by kajtek1; 07-11-2021 at 12:58 PM.
BigBellyDude (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 06:44 PM

2017 GLE 350
While the said vehicle is being transferred, today I paid Carfax to run a report on this particular vehicle, it shows a minor damage was reported in 2019. I sent the report to the dealer and they said it might be because previous scratches or dings were claimed to insurance and repaired and they said as dealer has done their due diligent to inspect and recondition the vehicle so there's nothing to worry. I thought CPO should mean free of any previous damage, shouldn't it? Should I trust the dealer and take the vehicle to a mechanic or body shop to look for any structural or mechanical damage? Or should I just give up buying this one?

Last edited by BigBellyDude; 07-11-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Tough call. CPO means what the fine print on the CPO document says. It probably means the dealer does certain "checks" and makes some corrections, fills fluids, etc. Don't assume anything.

Carfax is usually one of the first steps in buying a preowned vehicle, before negotiating price and terms. It's a bit late in the process with your deal, but if you can back out, give it some thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
BigBellyDude (07-11-2021), threeMBs (07-11-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 02:31 AM

2017 GLE 350
Originally Posted by chassis
Tough call. CPO means what the fine print on the CPO document says. It probably means the dealer does certain "checks" and makes some corrections, fills fluids, etc. Don't assume anything.

Carfax is usually one of the first steps in buying a preowned vehicle, before negotiating price and terms. It's a bit late in the process with your deal, but if you can back out, give it some thought.

I can still back out. There was no commitment made with the dealer. I do really like this particular GLE because it has all the packages/options that I wanted. And I literally can't find another vehicle has all the same options. Maybe I'll try to negotiate down $2-3k as well as take the vehicle for a 3rd party inspection. Does this sound good? Or should I just back out totally?
Old 07-12-2021, 10:47 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
CPO doesn't guarantee "no accidents" or body repairs. Many manufacturers allow for up to 2 body panels to be replaced, not to mention associated paintwork and feathering on adjacent panels.

The dealer likely acquired this GLE with history report blemish at a discount, so if you like the car (it has the equipment you want and the repairs aren't noticeable), then I personally wouldn't be afraid to close a deal as long as the dealer is passing along their savings to you (because when you sell your car later it will accordingly be worth less due to vehicle history report). It may still offer you many years of dependable and enjoyable service, despite the minor accident and repair. But it's definitely a point worth negotiating on the price. If there was an alternative vehicle with the same equipment and condition (minus accident/repair history), many buyers might prefer to pay a premium for that, but it may not be that important to you (it could be important to the next buyer, thus why you still want to pursue a discount now) and it doesn't sound like there is another otherwise equivalent GLE (at the moment--maybe you don't need to buy this one and can wait until the right one comes along?).

Last edited by gearFX; 07-12-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BigBellyDude
Should I trust the dealer and take the vehicle to a mechanic or body shop to look for any structural or mechanical damage? Or should I just give up buying this one?
You are joking I hope?
We keep telling you about doing PPI and you still don't get it.
Getting car with reported claim at that price is not giving you good resale value for the future, so when finding a car without a fender-bender in history can be hard, recalculate the value.
And make sure the repair is done with no visible differences.
Carfax in not reliable source anyway. I bought a sedan 3 years ago with clear Carfax, only 6 months later to find accident on updated report.

Last edited by kajtek1; 07-12-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
While the said vehicle is being transferred, today I paid Carfax to run a report on this particular vehicle, it shows a minor damage was reported in 2019. I sent the report to the dealer and they said it might be because previous scratches or dings were claimed to insurance and repaired and they said as dealer has done their due diligent to inspect and recondition the vehicle so there's nothing to worry. I thought CPO should mean free of any previous damage, shouldn't it? Should I trust the dealer and take the vehicle to a mechanic or body shop to look for any structural or mechanical damage? Or should I just give up buying this one?

MB dealer told me the same thing for my GLE 2018. Carfax showed minor damage. So he said scratch here and there. I found a repair paper which they forgot to take it out of the glove box and it was 14000 dollars for the front fender repair. When I told them they said yea dents repairs cost a lot of money as the color match is needed and repair from MB is double any way. Anyway, I let it go as my time was more valuable than figuring and arguing with them. But the good thing is no damage to wheel suspension, engine compartment. Also, the price of the car was cut down. I added insurance and on the top, I took an extended warranty. So I am good. I was reading somewhere on the scale of 0 to 5, 5 hights, people trusted doctors with 5 and the lowest were car sales persons.

Last edited by sub786sub; 07-12-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sub786sub
.......... I was reading somewhere on the scale of 0 to 5, 5 hights, people trusted doctors with 5 and the lowest were car sales persons.
That is changing lately, thanks to the competition.
When I was buying new ML back in 1998, MB USA made no hassle selling policy where the cars had fixed (and good) price. So with initial $1000 downpayment we did not have the hassle of price negotiating.
In last years Carvana is forcing new rules on used car sales, They offer 7 days money back guarantee, what was unheard about in the past.
So that pushed others to offer competitive sales and the 2016 GLE I picked up last week from the dealer come with 7 days credit return.
Not as good as money back, but still I had 7 days to return the car in case I don't like it. That beside dealer presenting me with $2700 job receipt they did on car preparation.
I have new tires and new wipers on top on new trims that were damaged on trade-in.
How da heck doctors got 5 bets me. I put them just slightly above car mechanics.
EDIT.
I think I figure it out.
Doctors burry their mistakes.

Last edited by kajtek1; 07-12-2021 at 12:08 PM.
chassis (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by sub786sub
MB dealer told me the same thing for my GLE 2018. Carfax showed minor damage. So he said scratch here and there. I found a repair paper which they forgot to take it out of the glove box and it was 14000 dollars for the front fender repair. When I told them they said yea dents repairs cost a lot of money as the color match is needed and repair from MB is double any way. Anyway, I let it go as my time was more valuable than figuring and arguing with them. But the good thing is no damage to wheel suspension, engine compartment. Also, the price of the car was cut down. I added insurance and on the top, I took an extended warranty. So I am good. I was reading somewhere on the scale of 0 to 5, 5 hights, people trusted doctors with 5 and the lowest were car sales persons.
doctors are 2 to 3... just better educated guessers

politician... negative infinity and beyond

forum members...+5
BigBellyDude (07-13-2021), chassis (07-12-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 02:00 AM

2017 GLE 350
I went to the dealer again today and test drove the 2021 GLE 350 4Matic. I have to say it feels so upscale and updated compare to the 2017. The only concern is how reliable is the 2.0T engine. It feels smooth though. I guess the old 3.5 V6 is more reliable?

After putting all packages and options that I wanted in the 2021 GLE 350, it comes up to $69,640, about double of the CPO 2017 GLE 350. If I order a new one with the exact options I want, dealer said it may take about 6 months before it can be delivered. And MB does not take orders for 2021 model anymore, any new order will be 2022, which shouldn't change much price or configuration wise.

At this point I'm not quite sure if I want the new one or the CPO. A new cars offers peace of mind for at least 4 years, and we usually keep vehicles for pretty long time, knowing all usage and maintenance history really helps in the long run. The CPO is actually a fully loaded one and it has everything I wanted. If not because of the damage report, I may not even think of buying a new one. However, like some fellows mentioned above, CPO doesn't guarantee there's totally nothing wrong with the vehicle, and I think how the previous user maintained and used the vehicle certainly has some impact on the longevity. So if we buy the CPO, we may be in the market for another vehicle in about 3, 4 years. But if we buy a new one, I am pretty comfortable to keep it 6+ years.

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2021, 06:12 AM

I went to the dealer again today and test drove the 2021 GLE 350 4Matic. I have to say it feels so upscale and updated compare to the 2017. The only concern is how reliable is the 2.0T engine. It feels smooth though. I guess the old 3.5 V6 is more reliable?

After putting all packages and options that I wanted in the 2021 GLE 350, it comes up to $69,640, about double of the CPO 2017 GLE 350. If I order a new one with the exact options I want, dealer said it may take about 6 months before it can be delivered. And MB does not take orders for 2021 model anymore, any new order will be 2022, which shouldn't change much price or configuration wise.

At this point I'm not quite sure if I want the new one or the CPO. A new cars offers peace of mind for at least 4 years, and we usually keep vehicles for pretty long time, knowing all usage and maintenance history really helps in the long run. The CPO is actually a fully loaded one and it has everything I wanted. If not because of the damage report, I may not even think of buying a new one. However, like some fellows mentioned above, CPO doesn't guarantee there's totally nothing wrong with the vehicle, and I think how the previous user maintained and used the vehicle certainly has some impact on the longevity. So if we buy the CPO, we may be in the market for another vehicle in about 3, 4 years. But if we buy a new one, I am pretty comfortable to keep it 6+ years.

Thoughts?
it's your money you decide...

FWIW. I love people who buy new cars... this way I can ****** up nice CPO and save a ton of money...
Old 07-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Thoughts?
Test driving a new car and comparing it to a 4-5 year old car is an apples-oranges comparison. One is new, one isn’t.

The 3.5L NA V6 is reliable. One of the most reliable MB engines in quite a long time. The M264 2.0L turbo 4 has not been around long enough to say whether it is reliable or not.

The new M264 is based heavily on the predecessor M274 4 cylinder, which is showing itself to have a piston cracking problem. Piston cracking means a new engine. How widespread the piston cracking problem is, hard to say. The newer M264 in the 2022 GLE shares crankshaft and connecting rods with the problematic M274, but not the pistons. Often this is a sign that MB knew of a problem and changed design to correct it. Whether or not the problem is correct is yet unknown.

As mentioned earlier, it’s your money and you need to choose. The new V167 platform is filled with problems but under factory warranty. The W166 platform is reliable, but not under factory warranty. Prices reflect these realities.

Last edited by chassis; 07-13-2021 at 07:05 AM.
BigBellyDude (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Test driving a new car and comparing it to a 4-5 year old car is an apples-oranges comparison. One is new, one isn’t.
Agree and on top of it the only common part between V167 GLE and W166 GLE is the name. The cars are totally different. OP might as well compare different manufacturers.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Agree and on top of it the only common part between V167 GLE and W166 GLE is the name. The cars are totally different. OP might as well compare different manufacturers.
come on man... the emblems are the same
Old 07-13-2021, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Test driving a new car and comparing it to a 4-5 year old car is an apples-oranges comparison. One is new, one isn’t..
Been doing that for years.
The 5 or even 8 years old MB can still be presented as new one.
My latest 2016 GLE looks new regardless 120,000 miles.
In the past I drove W124 who had > 25 years and close to 300,000 miles. That 1 was given 7-8 years by people who I ask.
That is what you get by choosing start on the hood.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:27 PM

I actually prefer my 166 interior... do not like the glass cockpit look. I like switches , knobs, buttons, e.t.c

it has all the tech i need, active ride control, e.t.c
Old 07-13-2021, 12:41 PM

I feel the new MB engines are like donkeys with Adrenaline shot to run like a horse. Of course, a donkey will burn out sooner than a horse. And they shined the donkey to look like an upscale horse so that their donkey can be sold at the horse price

Last edited by sub786sub; 07-13-2021 at 12:45 PM.
MBBoss18 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by whitewagon
I actually prefer my 166 interior... do not like the glass cockpit look. I like switches , knobs, buttons, e.t.c

it has all the tech i need
, active ride control, e.t.c
Exactly how I feel. I took a plunge into all the "new tech" with fully loaded (and I mean it) '19 E450. The honeymoon lasted only 6 months and cost me "only" $12K for "trying"!
Was fortunate to find "left over" still new '19 GLE43 optioned (almost) exactly like I wanted (almost because to get the interior I wanted - nappa leather AMG sport seats was a must - had to give up ventilated and multi contour seats options) and am glad the improvements they made over my ML63 (essentially similar interior but with very nice additions, especially the drive select). The way it looks, will drive ML63&GLE43 until wheels will fall off. My only regret is not getting GLE63 (driving 43 is fine, but when driving ML63 then having to drive 43 the same day...well I just would be happier with 63, but that train left the station).
Old 07-13-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Exactly how I feel. I took a plunge into all the "new tech" with fully loaded (and I mean it) '19 E450. The honeymoon lasted only 6 months and cost me "only" $12K for "trying"!
Was fortunate to find "left over" still new '19 GLE43 optioned (almost) exactly like I wanted (almost because to get the interior I wanted - nappa leather AMG sport seats was a must - had to give up ventilated and multi contour seats options) and am glad the improvements they made over my ML63 (essentially similar interior but with very nice additions, especially the drive select). The way it looks, will drive ML63&GLE43 until wheels will fall off. My only regret is not getting GLE63 (driving 43 is fine, but when driving ML63 then having to drive 43 the same day...well I just would be happier with 63, but that train left the station).
i started looking at 2018/19 E63 AMG wagons and my dealer let me drive a new model regular wagon for 48 hours... thank goodness...

I'm now on the hunt for a 2014 to 2016 older body style for our roadtrip car to our place in the mountains...

newer tech can become overwhelming and when I drive, i like to concentrate on driving and not scrolling high tech screens
chassis (07-14-2021), threeMBs (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 04:50 PM

I actually prefer my 166 interiors... do not like the glass cockpit look. I like switches, knobs, buttons, e.t.c

it has all the tech I need, active ride control, e.t.c
My only complaint with the 2018 GLE is Navi. It is cumbersome to enter and search for the address. So I updated my phone address book with all addresses now it is very easy as I can pull the address book and can set the destination. The next thing I do not like is that I have to use a cable for the car play. I like wireless things, so I have another solution I will be using a Bluetooth device to communicate between the infotainment system and my smartphone. I will post some images on it once I am done. Still working on the setup as I get time.
Rest no complaints for now
Old 07-13-2021, 04:54 PM

doctors are 2 to 3... just better educated guessers

politician... negative infinity and beyond

forum members...+5
I think it depends on the survey population. But for sure Politicians and car salesman are in the same boat, sorry just my opinion.

I am trying to find the survey but I found another one on the doctor ( see below ), it is also close to the same survey which is 4.5 vs. 5 standardized on a scale of 5

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pra...-professionals
Old 07-14-2021, 01:47 AM

2017 GLE 350

The 3.5L NA V6 is reliable. One of the most reliable MB engines in quite a long time. The M264 2.0L turbo 4 has not been around long enough to say whether it is reliable or not.

The new M264 is based heavily on the predecessor M274 4 cylinder, which is showing itself to have a piston cracking problem. Piston cracking means a new engine. How widespread the piston cracking problem is, hard to say. The newer M264 in the 2022 GLE shares crankshaft and connecting rods with the problematic M274, but not the pistons. Often this is a sign that MB knew of a problem and changed design to correct it. Whether or not the problem is correct is yet unknown.

As mentioned earlier, it’s your money and you need to choose. The new V167 platform is filled with problems but under factory warranty. The W166 platform is reliable, but not under factory warranty. Prices reflect these realities.

Much appreciate for the insight. That's exactly the information what I was looking for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New guy here, considering 2017 CPO GLE 350, what to look for?