Bluetooth phone connects when phone is outside the vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Bluetooth phone connects when phone is outside the vehicle

My wife drives a 2017 Mercedes GLE 350.
I’m frequently moving the car in and out of the garage for her. If she is on her cell phone inside the house, the car connects through Bluetooth even if it’s outside in the driveway interrupting her call.
It’s great to have that much range but is there a setting that would only connect the phone once it’s in the vehicle?
I can set it to not connect automatically but then my wife would have to connect every time she gets in the car.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2023, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Nope, there's no setting. That's how Bluetooth works. It connects automatically if the paired device is within range. Kind of the point, so you don't have to constantly connect manually. Like Wi-Fi and other wireless technologies they automatically connect to known networks and devices. The only solution is to turn off Bluetooth on the phone and only turn it on when you want it to connect, or if the phone has a setting to not automatically connect specific connections.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W166 forum...
Old 04-01-2023, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Thanks. I thought that might be the answer.

The MB Bluetooth range is more than on my other vehicles. I haven’t any others connecting to a phone inside the house while the car is in the driveway. Better to have a stronger signal I suppose.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Find option how to turn the Bluetooth off on the car.
Its been reported several times that vehicles were discharging the batteries at accelerated rate for some household.
Long story shorth, some owners park the car in garage, who is less than 30' from their living room, where they rest their phone, so Bluetooth never sleeps.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Find option how to turn the Bluetooth off on the car.
Its been reported several times that vehicles were discharging the batteries at accelerated rate for some household.
Long story shorth, some owners park the car in garage, who is less than 30' from their living room, where they rest their phone, so Bluetooth never sleeps.
I have never heard of this. Bluetooth disconnects as soon as you get out of the car. Apps like Apple Maps for example use this to store the car's parking location. Upon the handsfree Bluetooth connection getting disconnected, Apple Maps knows that the car was parked and saves the location. I've never seen a car's Bluetooth not disconnecting from the phone as soon as the Infotainment system shuts down. This sounds like a myth similar to the key fobs supposedly draining car batteries if the car is left unlocked for extended periods. Never had that issue, either. I've left my cars parked w/o being locked in my garage for decades and the fobs sit near the cars all the time. The latest fobs actually go to sleep after they don't sense any motion for 2 minutes. You can verify this by letting the fob sit next to the car and then try to lock/unlock the car after 2 minutes w/o first moving the fob.

Anyway, unless your car has an electrical fault that prevents the systems from shutting down, then there's no need to turn Bluetooth off in the car.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-03-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,495 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Make her phone the second priority and your phone primary priority, presuming that your phone is in your pocket it'll connect to your phone and not hers while you're moving her car