GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just got the best deal in North America on a GLE 43 AMG - so... What's Wrong with it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 ML63 AMG (W164) and 2017 GLE43 AMG (W166)
Just got the best deal in North America on a GLE 43 AMG - so... What's Wrong with it?

I just got the best deal in North America by 20% or more on a GLE 43 AMG with 130K miles on it!
So - What's wrong with it? I haven't even taken it to my mechanic yet, but I can tell a few things on why I got such a great deal. But first - its an AMG, and the depreciation on these is just awesome. The car depreciated on average at something like $0.50/mile! I'm really hoping this post continues to scare folks away from these glorious machines*... so now, on to...

what's wrong with it:
  1. The front grilles were broken - likely from hail is my guess as a window was also cracked. $25 for the front grilles (the OEM fell apart like crackers so not paying $250 for another pair of those!). And the cracked passenger window is under $400 with tint and installation at my home.
    • (1668800105 1668800205 Pair Front Hood Vent Air Grille Cover for Mercedes Benz W166 ML GL GLE Class GL350 GL450 GL550 GL63 AMG 2013-2016 ML350 ML550 ML63 2012-2015 Left and Right) Took less than 30 min to install both.
    • you can purchase the chrome bits separately - but my gf was able to pop them off (or break them off rather) from the old grilles. So I'm going to glue them back on to the new set!
    • and no - I couldn't find another touch of hail damage or water damage anywhere on the car... I looked with a light. Good enough for me tbh.
  2. There's a rattling sound! I listened closely and joked that it needs an anti-rattling device... indeed it does! Missing a Brake Anti Rattle Clip.
    • (Mercedes-Benz Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip - 0009937207)
  3. Wheels have a bit of curb rash and considering having a mobile mechanic come out to see what they can do (@ $125/wheel I'm not sure if its worth it) - anyone try this before? Maybe sandpaper and/or a Dremel would do better? I used to take my wheels long ago to a machine shop whenever I hit a curb... the Dad in me says it ain't worth it... the kid in me says MAKE IT LOOK SHINY, LIKE NEW!
  4. And... well... let's see what my mechanic has to say next week! I'm nervous about the transmission obviously but there car has undergone regular maintenance so fingers and toes crossed. I'll get some pictures posted soon as well.
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (06-11-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:07 PM

So a quick update. Promise photos coming soon.

I called the Mercedes dealership where I saw in the carfax report it was typically serviced at and asked for the Service Records - they didn't send the full details as it has personal information... but I got screenshots of the last recommended maintenance that was skipped.

And tomorrow - headed to the shop for a once over... meanwhile here's the list of recommended maintenance that was delayed by the prior owner:
1- Cylinder Head Front Cover - they said it was leaking oil
2- Boots Right Front CV Boot leaking oil
3- Brake Flush
4- Transmission Service
5- Front Differential Service
6- Rear Differential Service
7- Transfer Case Service
8- Spark Plug Replacement - looks like they were changed back at 75K but likely need a new set.

I'm about to put some miles on this so expecting to get most of it done tomorrow ... and that's just one reason this was a good deal I imagine. I'm okay with paying maintenance though - we'll see if they find anything else.

Meanwhile - the folks that came to my house to replace the passenger window are planning on coming back - as they showed up with the wrong window. Not sure how given the VIN number was used... but we'll see what they come back with! Thinking I should have just taken it somewhere for the window...
Old 06-14-2024, 09:45 AM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
Maybe you’ll let us know the price for all these services. My guess is $7,000.
Be well
Old 06-14-2024, 10:52 AM

And you sir, just gave me a mini heart attack... hope its less than half that number! We shall see soon enough.

Meanwhile the shop had to pull in a beautiful blue Lamborghini Huracan to work on first... bet maintenance on that is $$$$... nice looking car though.

You can just make out the cracked passenger window above.

I got this cargo liner which is made to fit - they claim material is leather but its definitely pleather... still looks good and should help prevent some of the dog hair from sticking to ... everything. Cargo Mat Compatible with 2016-2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE & 2012-2015 Benz ML Trunk Mat Benz GLE350 ML350 GLE43 GLE63 ML550 ML63 Cargo Liners - $90 only problem I can see is that it covers the subwoofer. It has a Velcro like backing so it naturally sticks to the carpet and comes with adhesive too.

Old 06-14-2024, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,056 Likes on 849 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Chefcct
Maybe you’ll let us know the price for all these services. My guess is $7,000.
Be well
Probably more than that but I'd say it is a close estimate.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:32 AM

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Some of these service you can do it yourself if you need to save cost on labor but depends on if your incline to do the work.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Oh yes, I'm planning on doing most all of the maintenance - ordered the parts from FCP Euro and hopefully arrives tomorrow. I'm hoping to cover numbers 3-8 on the list above but still need to get the brake fluid ordered. The nice thing about changing all my fluids at home is the city has a program going right now in my neighborhood where they will come to your house to pickup old used oil or other hazardous waste for free.
- Mercedes Spark Plug Kit - Bosch 0041597203 Price: $187.68
- Mercedes Transmission Service Kit - Liqui Moly 22034KT Price: $283.97
- Mercedes Differential Drain and Fill Plug - Genuine Mercedes 0009977932 Qty: 4 Price: $ 27.16
- 75W90 Fully Synthetic Hypoid Gear Oil (1 Liter) - Liqui Moly LM22090 Qty: 3 Price: $ 58.17

Total with $10 in slightly faster shipping... was $585.
I still need to buy brake fluid though.

In other news - I just drove to Houston, then Dallas, then back to AUS so got a bit of a feel for the new car. Hard to compare it to the ML63AMG, but I am, and its definitely not as fast but still gets going. The roll is real so sport mode is nearly always engaged and helps (which is a selection after starting the car... always as the default is comfort mode). I'm not crazy about the ESP - its engaging wayyy too often it seems - but then again my ESP has been disabled on the ML63AMG for over a year. Anyway I don't like losing power suddenly - and I think its the ESP and not the lane assist (which is off). The driving assistance options it includes were all turned on by default. I turned them all off as it was fighting me. For instance, a car drifted into my lane slightly as I was passing them at a decent pace. So I moved to the left slightly (as there was nobody on my left, and we have big wide open roads in TX)... but the car saw me starting to cross the line and pushed me to the right - toward the car that was drifting into my lane! So I pull left, just as it sees its own mistake supposedly and also brakes left back wheel - and now we're overcorrecting... and doing a little swerving at none too slow speeds. Not cool. I pulled over and turned all the driving assistance off. But I still feel like its watching me, just waiting to try and take over control. The other options it has are pretty cool - ever get sore while driving long distance? Well, maybe you need a massage option! HA, its not great, but not bad either! The driving pilot - this took some getting used to but is super cool. The car doesn't have cruise control - it has driving pilot! It actually will lock onto the car in front of you - speed up to the point you select, and also slow down AND apply brakes if needed. So during long drives you can set the distance safely and just steer, letting your foot off the gas and brakes to rest.

Trending Topics

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
MrStoner, I hope you are successful with the spark plugs as everyone has said that a few of them are an absolute bear to replace!
MrStoner (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLE350
I've done all my auto maintenance and repairs for decades. I tried to do the spark plugs on my 2017 GLE350 and was not able to pull the plug wires off the plugs....well I could get #1 off, but that was it. I'd studied all the on-line hints and ways to get it done. I ended up taking it to an independent MB shop and asked how in the world did they get it done. They said the key is to run the car to get it hot and then you can pull them. Well, that sounds like you'd better wear insulating gloves! This is a tough job! I've done all filters and oil/filter and brake fluid flush and replaced rear rotors and pads but the darn plugs got me!!
The following 2 users liked this post by thammel:
chassis (Yesterday), MrStoner (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,056 Likes on 849 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Yes, the plug boots were terrible to pull off. Make sure you liberally coat the inside of the boot with a good synthetic dielectric grease so it won't be as hard to remove next time.
chassis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,913 Likes on 3,081 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by thammel
I've done all my auto maintenance and repairs for decades. I tried to do the spark plugs on my 2017 GLE350 and was not able to pull the plug wires off the plugs....well I could get #1 off, but that was it. I'd studied all the on-line hints and ways to get it done. I ended up taking it to an independent MB shop and asked how in the world did they get it done. They said the key is to run the car to get it hot and then you can pull them. Well, that sounds like you'd better wear insulating gloves! This is a tough job! I've done all filters and oil/filter and brake fluid flush and replaced rear rotors and pads but the darn plugs got me!!
Yes, warm engine (warm ignition coil boots) is mandatory to replace spark plugs after the first plug change. The assembly grease used by the factory is water based and dries into a glue. As @BlownV8 stated, a liberal amount of dielectric is needed to make subsequent coil replacements easier. Replace the coils every other spark plug change. It makes a difference in smoothness. Coils are consumable components.