GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Active Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Active Recall

NHTSA Recall Number 17V506

Check your vehicle here:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall

SUMMARY
Daimler AG (DAG) has determined that on certain GLE (166 platform) and GLE coupe (292 platform) vehicles, the engine control unit software may not correspond to current specifications. This may result in an engine shut-down just before vehicle stop, e.g. braking in response to a traffic light or stop sign. In addition, a high engine load combined with an insufficient accelerator pedal actuation could lead to an engine shutdown following an ECO start. Depending on the traffic situation, an unintentional engine shut-down could increase the risk of a crash. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will program the engine control unit with new software.

CONSEQUENCE
Depending on the traffic situation, an unintentional engine shut-down could increase the risk of a crash.
The following 2 users liked this post by GLE43_Sube:
F18BEN (09-17-2017), mm9351 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Thanks Sube,

Just received this in the mail. I was also alerted on another website, however the "fix" was not yet available. Probably a one hour event at the service center, maybe I will have other service needs addressed. Incidentally, some owners of the GLE SUV have received a recall notice for a center console update, appears that it can open in the event of a crash and contents could be ejected. Given the similarity of the two vehicles, wondering why it doesn't yet apply to the coupe.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Just an update of the engine software for the v6 trucks. Nothing major. Can wait until your next service unless you're super paranoid.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by mm9351
Thanks Sube,

Just received this in the mail. I was also alerted on another website, however the "fix" was not yet available. Probably a one hour event at the service center, maybe I will have other service needs addressed. Incidentally, some owners of the GLE SUV have received a recall notice for a center console update, appears that it can open in the event of a crash and contents could be ejected. Given the similarity of the two vehicles, wondering why it doesn't yet apply to the coupe.
There's also a Navigation map database update. You can get that done while there for the recall. That's what I did. The latest map version is:
2017/2018 (V8.0) N. AMERICA. See link below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...e-updates.html

Believe it or not, the center console for the GLE SUV is different than the one in the GLE Coupe, so that recall is model specific. It seems like they'd be the same, but I discovered the difference when I was considering ordering this. Click the third picture on the left side of the webpage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...1-f6b14737df18
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Just an update of the engine software for the v6 trucks. Nothing major. Can wait until your next service unless you're super paranoid.
Perhaps you didn't read the full synopsis, especially this part:

CONSEQUENCE
Depending on the traffic situation, an unintentional engine shut-down could increase the risk of a crash.

Imagine your car shutting off as you're trying to merge into highway traffic with three 18-wheelers barreling down on you.

Wait if you like, but after MB notifies you of a recall and you fail to bring your vehicle in for the fix, the liability falls on you. Want to wind up being a quadriplegic trying to sue MB? When the judge asks why you didn't get your vehicle fixed, you'd have to say, "Well, Your Honor, I just didn't "feel" like taking it in."
Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I work at a dealer, i'm well aware.

Did you actually read it?

This may result in an engine shut-down just before vehicle stop, e.g. braking in response to a traffic light or stop sign. In addition, a high engine load combined with an insufficient accelerator pedal actuation could lead to an engine shutdown following an ECO start.

Not gonna happen merging on the highway, don't be dramatic. This would be no more than stalling your car with a manual trans as you leave the light. Inconvenient, but not normally dangerous. You could easily put the car back in neutral/park and restart it, and drive off. Is it a hazard? Of course, an un-intended shutdown can never be good. That's why it's a recall. The odds of it happening and the VERY specific sequence that can trigger it, makes it just not that much of a big deal.

Note my last words... unless you're super paranoid. You meet that critera, and if you bring your car in tomorrow, you will get the revised software. No worries
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I work at a dealer, i'm well aware.

Did you actually read it?

This may result in an engine shut-down just before vehicle stop, e.g. braking in response to a traffic light or stop sign. In addition, a high engine load combined with an insufficient accelerator pedal actuation could lead to an engine shutdown following an ECO start.

Not gonna happen merging on the highway, don't be dramatic. This would be no more than stalling your car with a manual trans as you leave the light. Inconvenient, but not normally dangerous. You could easily put the car back in neutral/park and restart it, and drive off. Is it a hazard? Of course, an un-intended shutdown can never be good. That's why it's a recall. The odds of it happening and the VERY specific sequence that can trigger it, makes it just not that much of a big deal.

Note my last words... unless you're super paranoid. You meet that critera, and if you bring your car in tomorrow, you will get the revised software. No worries
Yes, I read the whole thing. While I do agree that in MOST instances, it's harmless. It's those uncommon occurrences that concern me. Lack of acceleration at any time while your car is on the roadway can be potentially dangerous. I'm not a hypochondriac. I base this on actual professional experience. You don't think it's a big deal. I do. That's fine. We can just agree to disagree. Besides, life would be boring if we all thought alike. Nonetheless, I appreciate your insight. It's always a welcome thing to have a dealer employee on this forum.

Yes, I'll be the first one to admit I am super paranoid with regard to personal safety in general, not just as it relates to driving. But there's a reason for it. Let's just say I've seen a lot of traumatic events in my time. Be that as it may, I already had the recall work performed last Friday, so I'm no longer concerned. My posts were mainly for the benefit of others.

Since you work at a dealer, maybe you can answer this. The 2018 GLE43 Coupe specs report an increase in horsepower from 362 to 385. Yet the 0-60 times and torque are the same. You posted in another thread that this was the result of a change in software, which is what I suspected. I have a few questions:

1. If the torque and 0-60 times are the same, where is the perceivable benefit? Is this just to look better on paper?

2. If there is some real-world actual advantage, are they willing to upgrade the 2017 software to 2018 specs?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Dealer posted 0-60 times are for me, not too accurate.

I'd believe they bumped the power slightly for marketing reasons in most cases, but I just fix them, I don't sell them, so I don't know if anywhere in the literature it outlines why there was a bump in power.

As far as flashing for the new file, that's not possible in the dealer world. Every time we update software, the SDS we use contacts the servers in Germany to download the current software for that specific VIN, and I highly doubt they would change it for every 2017 to match 2018 specs. We don't have the option to flash anything other than what the car is supposed to have sadly.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Dealer posted 0-60 times are for me, not too accurate.

I'd believe they bumped the power slightly for marketing reasons in most cases, but I just fix them, I don't sell them, so I don't know if anywhere in the literature it outlines why there was a bump in power.

As far as flashing for the new file, that's not possible in the dealer world. Every time we update software, the SDS we use contacts the servers in Germany to download the current software for that specific VIN, and I highly doubt they would change it for every 2017 to match 2018 specs. We don't have the option to flash anything other than what the car is supposed to have sadly.
Hmmmmmm! Sounds kind of dubious, although not surprising at all. I'll bet you could test horsepower using 50 different parameters and you'd get 50 different results. Sounds like they just tested the exact same engine with "different" software in the engine control module. No big deal. I'm perfectly happy with mine.

Trust me, If you don't know, the sales people DEFINITELY don't know. I haven't met a sales person yet who knew more about the cars THEY sell than I did. The ones I've encountered know just enough to SELL to the uninformed. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. I just haven't met them.

Thanks!