GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Are the Driver Assistance Package PLUS and 22inch wheels worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Are the Driver Assistance Package PLUS and 22inch wheels worth it?

Hey guys! This is my first post at mbworld.org!

I sold my 2014 E350 several months ago and I'm ready to order a custom build 2022 AMG GLE53 Coupe.
I'm having some difficulties choosing which package to be included. Could you guys please give me some advice on the Driver Assistance Package PLUS and 22-inch AMG cross-spoke, matte black wheels?

Here is a summary of my 2022 AMG GLE 53 Coupe build:
Exterior: Selenite Grey metallic, 21-inch AMG twin 5-spoke w/black accents, AMG Night Package
Interior: Black MB-Tex w/Red stitching, Acoustic Comfort Package, Red seat belts.
Options: Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system, Surround View System, Wheel locking bolts, First-aid kit

Driver Assistance Package PLUS:
The Multicontour front seats with massage, Rapid heating feature for front seats, Ventilated front seats, and Nappa Leather seats have to be added as well for the DAPP package.
Those add-on packages make the DAPP options cost an extra 5k, a total of 7k USD.
I'm hesitant to add the DAPP now since as an audiophile I consider the Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system and Acoustic Comfort Package are more important to me.
Having driven the E350 without DAPP for 5 years I don't see it is necessary to add such a package for 7k.
May I know if the DAPP is a must-have? Does it affect the resell value?

22-inch AMG cross-spoke, matte black wheels:
I really like the style of the 22-inch AMG wheels and I believe the car looks complete with those rims. However, I've never driven any car with wheels of such size and there is no AMG GLE53 for a test drive.
I'm worried about if the discomfort and road noise increases a lot compared to 21-inch wheels. (The rim of the 21-inch wheels looks good on GLE53 but not GLE53 Coupe in my opinion).

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2022, 08:22 AM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Welcome to the forum!

I may be biased, but both are totally worth it.

Love the multicontour seats and acoustic pkg, although my wife does not have the AP on her GLE, and her’s is still tomb-quiet.
Road noise is a non-issue with the “22s, and the ride quality is fantastic, on par with my wife’s with “21s.

If you can afford the upgrades, go for it. otherwise you’ll wish you had them later after you have the vehicle and it will be too late (and very expensive) to add after the fact.

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2022, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Driver's assistance, yes. 22" wheels, no. The larger wheels and tires will cost you mileage, performance, and stopping distance.
The following users liked this post:
amgsauce (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:15 AM

2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by BlownV8
22" wheels, no. The larger wheels and tires will cost you mileage, performance, and stopping distance.
Ahhh. No. But I guess we agree to disagree.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,186 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The caution I have about the 22" option is the availability of replacement tires, especially Winters.
Otherwise, get what makes you smile when you go to the car!

Don't do what I did. As my MSRP approached $100k, I passed on the High End Burmester, in trade for the Dynamic Plus Package, about the same $5,200 tag.
I came from a '20 GLE450 WITH the High End radio, and the Audio Aficionado in me kicks me every time I try to listen to the $850 "Burmester," which must be embarrassing to them to have their name on it.
With the High End unit, when you select "VIP Seat," the sound focuses on that seat, and, remarkably, all the phasing and time-alignment snaps into focus, and it's quite impressive.

Also consider the Dynamic Plus, DPP - it sets the car apart from its competitors, smooths the ride, and makes the 53 quite special.

Don't be Penny Wise and Pound Foolish - to me, that $5k savings will probably make me trade the car in 2-3 years, instead of the 7 I usually do. My mistake.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Are you sure the DAPP still requires the massage seats? I know that was true of 2020 GLEs and the first few months production of 2021 53s (before 350/450/580 had transitioned to ‘21), but as far as I know that restriction is gone now in netstar and you can get an MB-Tex, base seat equipped 53 with DAPP. You certainly can on the regular SUV, and I am pretty sure I’ve seen coupes with DAPP but no massage seat, though I could be wrong.

It’s always been a tough justification when that was all required. On a GLE350 in 2020, a 55k car, getting DAPP ($2250) required surround view (400), leather (1620), ventilation (450), rapid heating (450), massage (1100), and passenger memory (350), making it $6600 for the package, plus it recommended warmth and comfort (add $600) and energizing (add $550). With the GLE53, pax seat memory is standard and surround view is not required, but the base leather is nappa grade ($2990) and requires $350 stitched dash and upoer door trim making the theoretical cost of the now $1950 package $7290. It’s an amazing set of features, I think better then the Tesla system (autopilot) and it really relieves stress on the highway and actually makes me a less aggressive driver, plus in theory the extra safety kit (intersection cross traffic alert and evasive steering aid) are crazy impressive, and that coupled with that fact that a modern base model Corolla or civic has adaptive cruise control with steering assist would make me uncomfortable purchasing a car without it, but i know people who specifically dont want it. It definitely makes the warning chimes more frequent, plus if you’re not used to it and not going to use it, it’ll be wasted money. And it shouldn’t affect resale too much.

The reason that in the GLE/GLS it used to require massage seat was because one of the features of the package is pre safe side impulse, where it inflates the side bolster when it detects an impending side impact to keep you safer, but what they’ve done now is included it for free in cars equipped with both DAPP and massage seats.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:10 PM

E350
"Welcome to the forum!

I may be biased, but both are totally worth it.

Love the multicontour seats and acoustic pkg, although my wife does not have the AP on her GLE, and her’s is still tomb-quiet.
Road noise is a non-issue with the “22s, and the ride quality is fantastic, on par with my wife’s with “21s.

If you can afford the upgrades, go for it. otherwise you’ll wish you had them later after you have the vehicle and it will be too late (and very expensive) to add after the fact.

Cheers,"
Thank you for the reply! The white paint with the AMG night package looks fabulous! I wish Mercedes can provide a 21' black rim that actually fits the design of this car. May I know are the tires that come with the 22s are summer tires or all-season tires? Thanks!

Last edited by alanbition; 03-07-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:14 PM

E350
Driver's assistance, yes. 22" wheels, no. The larger wheels and tires will cost you mileage, performance, and stopping distance.
Yes, I'm fully aware of those cons of larger wheels. It is just the black rim looks better on GLE Coupe.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:27 PM

E350
The caution I have about the 22" option is the availability of replacement tires, especially Winters.
Otherwise, get what makes you smile when you go to the car!

Don't do what I did. As my MSRP approached $100k, I passed on the High End Burmester, in trade for the Dynamic Plus Package, about the same $5,200 tag.
I came from a '20 GLE450 WITH the High End radio, and the Audio Aficionado in me kicks me every time I try to listen to the $850 "Burmester," which must be embarrassing to them to have their name on it.
With the High End unit, when you select "VIP Seat," the sound focuses on that seat, and, remarkably, all the phasing and time-alignment snaps into focus, and it's quite impressive.

Also consider the Dynamic Plus, DPP - it sets the car apart from its competitors, smooths the ride, and makes the 53 quite special.

Don't be Penny Wise and Pound Foolish - to me, that $5k savings will probably make me trade the car in 2-3 years, instead of the 7 I usually do. My mistake.
Thanks for bringing attention to the replacement tires of 22s! I'm living in California so all-season tires will be enough to survive in winter I guess?
Yes...The 3D Burmester is a must-have for sure haha! I wish the GLE450 Coupe model is available in the States since I prefer the appearance of the coupe model and I'm not really into performance cars.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:35 PM

E350
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Are you sure the DAPP still requires the massage seats? I know that was true of 2020 GLEs and the first few months production of 2021 53s (before 350/450/580 had transitioned to ‘21), but as far as I know that restriction is gone now in netstar and you can get an MB-Tex, base seat equipped 53 with DAPP. You certainly can on the regular SUV, and I am pretty sure I’ve seen coupes with DAPP but no massage seat, though I could be wrong.

It’s always been a tough justification when that was all required. On a GLE350 in 2020, a 55k car, getting DAPP ($2250) required surround view (400), leather (1620), ventilation (450), rapid heating (450), massage (1100), and passenger memory (350), making it $6600 for the package, plus it recommended warmth and comfort (add $600) and energizing (add $550). With the GLE53, pax seat memory is standard and surround view is not required, but the base leather is nappa grade ($2990) and requires $350 stitched dash and upoer door trim making the theoretical cost of the now $1950 package $7290. It’s an amazing set of features, I think better then the Tesla system (autopilot) and it really relieves stress on the highway and actually makes me a less aggressive driver, plus in theory the extra safety kit (intersection cross traffic alert and evasive steering aid) are crazy impressive, and that coupled with that fact that a modern base model Corolla or civic has adaptive cruise control with steering assist would make me uncomfortable purchasing a car without it, but i know people who specifically dont want it. It definitely makes the warning chimes more frequent, plus if you’re not used to it and not going to use it, it’ll be wasted money. And it shouldn’t affect resale too much.

The reason that in the GLE/GLS it used to require massage seat was because one of the features of the package is pre safe side impulse, where it inflates the side bolster when it detects an impending side impact to keep you safer, but what they’ve done now is included it for free in cars equipped with both DAPP and massage seats.
Yes the DAPP can be selected without upgrading the seating packages on GLE350/450, but such restriction has not been removed on GLE53 Coupe yet. I do drive highway quite often and I don't even use cruise control because I'm afraid of any emergency situation happening. I know DAPP has been improved a lot in those years and I do want to try it, but it is just 7k is too much for a feature that I might not need.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Just have the 21's refinished or go with aftermarket wheels. The 22's will look better and if the performance issue is not a big deal to you then go with the 22's. Keep in mind, the 22's will be more apt to break or bend if you live in an area with rough roads.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:44 AM

2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by alanbition
Thank you for the reply! The white paint with the AMG night package looks fabulous! I wish Mercedes can provide a 21' black rim that actually fits the design of this car. May I know are the tires that come with the 22s are summer tires or all-season tires? Thanks!
They’re all seasons, but more summer than anything else. Here in Houston it is a non-issue.
Another reason I chose the 22”s is that the rears are wider than the 21”s. 325s v 315s. They are absolute monsters and there’s nothing else like it on any other SUV.

The following users liked this post:
j_house_ (03-10-2022)