GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Cutting off the muffler - GLE63s To do or not to do....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 10:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2022 GLE 63s AMG
Hi, I still have the muffler delete and have zero CEL or codes. I had a different problem with a rattle that I subsequently fixed by swapping out the spring in the valve controller for the h-pipe valve (which stays even with a muffler delete) for an enhanced spring. Will start a separate thread on that one
Old 01-23-2024, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 Mercedes’ Benz E63s Sedan 4 Matic +
Originally Posted by DoubleD748
Hi, I still have the muffler delete and have zero CEL or codes. I had a different problem with a rattle that I subsequently fixed by swapping out the spring in the valve controller for the h-pipe valve (which stays even with a muffler delete) for an enhanced spring. Will start a separate thread on that one
Hello, i don’t have any CEL or Codes, however since the valves are disconnected the car doesn’t see the 360 check on start up.

can you go to your AMG performance page while driving and floor it. How much HP are you using?
I am certain if you have your valve wires just disconnected like I do, it would also be in limp mode.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM

2022 GLE 63s AMG
Originally Posted by Amritrana87
Hello, i don’t have any CEL or Codes, however since the valves are disconnected the car doesn’t see the 360 check on start up.

can you go to your AMG performance page while driving and floor it. How much HP are you using?
I am certain if you have your valve wires just disconnected like I do, it would also be in limp mode.
I get the full 603HP when I floor it, the car is definitely not in limp mode. Maybe the difference is the EVM, but not sure that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 Mercedes’ Benz E63s Sedan 4 Matic +
I get the full 603HP when I floor it, the car is definitely not in limp mode. Maybe the difference is the EVM, but not sure that makes sense.
ahh, that must be it then! Because our setups are identical. I showed them yours pics when getting it done.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:31 AM

2022 GLE 63s AMG
Originally Posted by Amritrana87
ahh, that must be it then! Because our setups are identical. I showed them yours pics when getting it done.
the only other think I can think of is to contact Benzninja or another coder to see if they can remove the rear actuators from the 360 check.
The following users liked this post:
Amritrana87 (01-24-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
I see this post has received a lot of attention. My car has never had any issues after cutting off the muffler. I've driven past MANY police officers and never had an issue. The car sounds EXACTLY how anyone would expect it too sound....mean as heck!!! I would recommend anyone that wants more sound to do this. I can't imagine paying thousands of dollars to get a similar sound. My local shop only charged me $120 to remove the old muffler and weld in the new 3" pipe.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC 63 amg
Muffler delete

No problem. There are single pipes that lead into the muffler, which is what I just continued all the way to bumper. The dual pipes are the output on the performance exhaust muffler and go away with the delete. With the delete, there is no plug and the button for the flaps does nothing since the flaps are gone with the muffler and now it is always open. The sound does change a bit between comfort and s+. Comfort is now live-able and S+/ race is what is in the video above. The pops/bangs are now like gun shots and a LOT of fun.

FWIW, I started with the Renntech EVM and still wasn’t thrilled with the sound of normal driving comfort mode. This delete cost $148 and was the best money spent yet on the car. I can always add it back in the future if needed or if I put on downpipes…

question, did you get a CEL code for muffler delete? Cuz I have a CEL code on car now it states “ exhaust flap 2 malfunction and blocked” if I do a muffler delete do you think that code will go away?
Old 04-02-2024, 12:03 PM

2022 GLE 63s AMG
I did not get a code after muffler delete. However, I think it was because I still have the EVM connected so something in the car "thinks" the modules are still present. There is another user on here that tried the straight delete and was running a partial limp mode as a result. I havent seen this personally, so cant confirm
Old 04-09-2024, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLE 63 S
Since there are only a handful of companies out there building exhaust systems for 166's prices are crazy. While I was searching, I came across this "HMD Performance" exhaust system for $970 on AliExpress. I dont know the first thing about AliExpress or its legitimacy of sellers. It seems a little "too good to be true" but I figured i would ask you guys and see if anyone has bit the bullet and ordered one. Here is the link for reference. Thoughts? The reason i ask is because the baffles in my stock resonator are broken and it needs to be replaced. I have cat-less down pipes and am on the fence about what to do.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

Last edited by BlackBisonAMG; 04-09-2024 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding Context
Old 04-09-2024, 08:48 PM

2022 GLE 63s AMG
Originally Posted by BlackBisonAMG
Since there are only a handful of companies out there building exhaust systems for 166's prices are crazy. While I was searching, I came across this "HMD Performance" exhaust system for $970 on AliExpress. I dont know the first thing about AliExpress or its legitimacy of sellers. It seems a little "too good to be true" but I figured i would ask you guys and see if anyone has bit the bullet and ordered one. Here is the link for reference. Thoughts? The reason i ask is because the baffles in my stock resonator are broken and it needs to be replaced. I have cat-less down pipes and am on the fence about what to do.

I wouldn’t.

1- I personally won’t be putting anything alixpress on mine. Vehicle is too expensive to risk some Chinese crap.

2-The shipping on that item you listed for me was $600, which would make the total $1500ish and for that, you are most of the way to a new oem replacement PE muffler.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:50 AM

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by BlackBisonAMG

There shouldnt be anything wrong with this exhaust setup. But yes the price cost is $1500+ not $900, you have to pay attention to how Aliexpress has their listings. Sometimes items will be for $100 and shipping is $500. Obviously you will have your full final cost at checkout but you get the idea now.

Todays Chinese made exhaust systems are nothing like the very inferiour exhausts from the '90s. I personally know a lot of BMW owners that got these Chinese exhausts on their brand new G80's and other models on 100K cars and the titanium, welds, and fitment is great. Those exhaust setups were $1500-$2000 shipped versus a brand name at $5000+++.

It also is a direct bolt on, so you can go back to stock at anytime with 0 issues.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLE 63 S
@suby01 Agreed. Even with the shipping costs, its still substantially less than anything else on the market. I get what @DoubleD748 is saying, but this is an exhaust system we're talking about. Not a water/meth injection system, hack job of a tune or something that can cause detrimental damage. Unless the exhaust system is completely blocked and doesn't allow for the proper flow I dont see why it would be an issue. I could be wrong on that rationalization but my main concern is around receiving what is being portrayed on the website from the product description. I would have to order it, receive it, realize its wrong, and have to start a dispute with AMEX.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,075 Likes on 862 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Turbocharged vehicles don't really need any mufflers. Cut everything out and see how you like it before spending money on a muffler. Remember, the faster and least resistance in your exhaust system, on a turbocharged vehicle, the better.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE63S
Does anyone have the size of the 90* bend from the pre muffler to connect it to the factory tailpipes