GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Can you turn off headlights while car is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2024 Mercedes GLE 63s Coupe
Can you turn off headlights while car is on

Hello quick question I noticed in my 2024 GLE when it’s night and my car is on I can’t turn my headlights off, is there a way you can turn them off while the car is still running? I see auto in the middle and when I turn it to the right it’s full bright headlights, when I turn it all the way to the left it’s dimmer but it’s still on I’m assuming this is a safety feature, however I would like to have my headlights off when I’m parked somewhere and my car is on. I see no way to turn it off while car is running, any ideas? See attachment for what I’m talking about.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLE 63s
The last time AMG had an “off” indicator on their “light switch” was 2011. On the 2024 GLE I don’t think you can even activate your high beams on “auto” other the pull to flash option
Old 07-26-2024, 03:10 PM

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Nope.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by DavidX
The last time AMG had an “off” indicator on their “light switch” was 2011. On the 2024 GLE I don’t think you can even activate your high beams on “auto” other the pull to flash option
I assumed so, that sucks. Thanks for the information anyway.
Old 07-27-2024, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 720 Likes on 537 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
there should be a way as some secure entrances (Army bases etc.) require lights off when approaching guards and gates.

Wonder if owner's manual covers this?
Old 07-27-2024, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ygmn
there should be a way as some secure entrances (Army bases etc.) require lights off when approaching guards and gates.

I’m not sure either from what I’ve seen online and I did a decent amount of research, it seems there is no way however I haven’t looked through the owner manual so I’m not 100% either I assumed if anyone would know it would be someone here. It would be nice if you could do it though.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by ygmn

You can turn off Day Light Running Lights in the Mbux system and then headlights turn on automatically only when it's dark out. You can also turn off auto high beams in Mbux. I keep everything on and never have to deal with headlights. Is a very smart system IMO.

Last edited by RMiles; 07-27-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by RMiles
You can turn off Day Light Running Lights in the Mbux system and then headlights turn on automatically only when it's dark out. You can also turn off auto high beams in Mbux. I keep everything on and never have to deal with headlights. Is a very smart system IMO.
I understand that you can turn off daytime headlights that is not the issue I’m having obviously, my issue is at night, yes it is a smart system however maybe there are times where you are parked at night and don’t want to have your headlights on and want to have your car running…Mercedes didn’t even take that into consideration when they made this “Smart system”

Last edited by Chormz; 07-27-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:12 AM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by Chormz
I understand that you can turn off daytime headlights that is not the issue I’m having obviously, my issue is at night, yes it is a smart system however maybe there are times where you are parked at night and don’t want to have your headlights on and want to have your car running…Mercedes didn’t even take that into consideration when they made this “Smart system”
Point well taken. That happened to me once and I literally had to turn the car off to turn off the headlights.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:33 AM

Point well taken. That happened to me once and I literally had to turn the car off to turn off the headlights.
Exactly, it’s a minor inconvenience that can be VERY annoying at times but I guess there is nothing to do about it…
Old 07-27-2024, 12:06 PM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Exactly, it’s a minor inconvenience that can be VERY annoying at times but I guess there is nothing to do about it…
Well I just checked the owner manual and saw no way to turn them off. More than this though, I wish there was a hard "play" button for playing music. Hate having to hit the play button on the Mbux screen. Have you found a solution for that?
Old 07-27-2024, 01:04 PM

Well I just checked the owner manual and saw no way to turn them off. More than this though, I wish there was a hard "play" button for playing music. Hate having to hit the play button on the Mbux screen. Have you found a solution for that?
Not sure about this one I use AppleCar play or Bluetooth audio when I play music in my car so I just use my phone to pause or play or change the song.
Old 07-27-2024, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said already, Mercedes no longer have an off position for the headlights. I wish other car manufacturers would follow. The number of cars I see around here driving around w/o their lights on is staggering. It's primarily Asian brands, where the instrument cluster backlight turns on at night regardless of whether the lights are on and combined with the daytime running lights these folks don't realize that their lights aren't on. The DLRs are bright enough to light the road even at night, but from behind they disappear in the dark of the night and you see them only last moment. Very dangerous. I believe this is why MB did away with the off position.
Old 07-27-2024, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
As said already, Mercedes no longer have an off position for the headlights. I wish other car manufacturers would follow. The number of cars I see around here driving around w/o their lights on is staggering. It's primarily Asian brands, where the instrument cluster backlight turns on at night regardless of whether the lights are on and combined with the daytime running lights these folks don't realize that their lights aren't on. The DLRs are bright enough to light the road even at night, but from behind they disappear in the dark of the night and you see them only last moment. Very dangerous. I believe this is why MB did away with the off position.
Yeah that makes sense I already came to the conclusion that Mercedes did this solely for safety reasons which is okay and I support it, however that doesn’t change the fact that people may still want their headlights off. In my opinion they could have made a system that enables you to turn off the headlights somehow for the people who need it off in certain situations.
Old 07-27-2024, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah that makes sense I already came to the conclusion that Mercedes did this solely for safety reasons which is okay and I support it, however that doesn’t change the fact that people may still want their headlights off. In my opinion they could have made a system that enables you to turn off the headlights somehow for the people who need it off in certain situations.
Just to clarify a point. The left position on your switch is the parking light. The main beams should turn off in that position and only the lower intensity parking lights should be on. So that's effectively the headlight off position as the main beams are off. That's what folks use if they are parked and running the engine, so the main beams don't blind bystanders. Some models also have standing lights. Those are useful if you park somewhere on the side of the road in the dark. You can illuminate one side of the car to be seen.