GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Checked out the GLK today for the first time.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Checked out the GLK today for the first time.

I wa comming home heading north on I87 and I was stuck in traffic so I got off the exit to kill some time and get out of the traffic. Pulled into the Mercedes dealer and saw the GLK in white sitting out front. What a great looking car it is. Its not ugly in person as I thought it would be. I liked it and the interior looked good also. All for low $30,000 and it comes well equpped also.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML-350 BT
I also like how it looks in darker colours. Saw a couple of black ones earlier this week. The dark grey one at the dealership was also very sharp looking. I would like to see the carneol/Barolo red in person.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM
EWL

2003 Mercedes 350ML
I'm new on the forum, but I've owned Benzes all my life, from a 1956 190SL to my current ML350. I saw the GLK for the first time yesterday and I'm at a loss what the designers at MB were thinking. If they were succumbing to pressures to build a more economical SUV, then why didn't they offer it with their renowned Blue Tec engine? It would get 30 or better MPG [the E-class gets 32] and it would grab headlines for the most economical luxury SUV. But NO - they plugged in the ML 350 engine - not that there is anything wrong with it - but it's way more engine than the GLK needs AND they could have made a REAL economy statement with the Blue Tec. If they ever integrate an economy diesel engine then I may consider it. As of now, my next car will be a Subaru - and I've driven Benzes all mylife.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
GLK Bluetec engine

Originally Posted by EWL
AND they could have made a REAL economy statement with the Blue Tec. If they ever integrate an economy diesel engine then I may consider it. As of now, my next car will be a Subaru - and I've driven Benzes all mylife.
Search this forum for "GLK Bluetec" for more info. The basic reason for no diesel version as yet is homologation or meeting EPA/California standards.
The 2.2 lt engine (approx.168 bhp) will appear in about one year in both the GLK and C Class. A GLK with this diesel engine will certainly be more economical, but it will be at least two seconds slower in 0-60mph performance.
Although diesel versions of the ML/GL sell very well in Canada (about 60% of total ML/GL sales), they have not sold nearly as well in the USA (approx 20% of sales), likely due to the premium price placed on diesel fuel by US oil companies. IMO, the extra 20 to 30% price per gallon has deterred many from buying a diesel in the US.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
What DerekACS said. I am in USA and the price for d almost eliminates benefit. Add the performance hit and finding d and it is not a winner for USA.

I do agree that 30+ mpg, even with a slower 0-50 time is well worth doing, but not at price in USA today. Thank you GOV.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I wa comming home heading north on I87 and I was stuck in traffic so I got off the exit to kill some time and get out of the traffic. Pulled into the Mercedes dealer and saw the GLK in white sitting out front. What a great looking car it is. Its not ugly in person as I thought it would be. I liked it and the interior looked good also. All for low $30,000 and it comes well equpped also.
well equiped relative to what? was at the dealer today and saw 4 of them all priced to 42k and they all had mb tex. thats bull****. and no nav leather or wood. when you price them online its 47k to get them with leather and nav. I know some people wont care about leather OR nav but 42k with neither? only for fan boys and badge ******. it is a lot better looking in person though.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
I went to dealer to look at it today, it is a nice looking little SUV, good size, but I was a little dissapointed in how stiff/hard the seats are and how truck like and austere it was inside. I thought it was kind of expensive for what it is, once you added the packages on and price climbs to over $45K and still no leather.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by sacguy
I went to dealer to look at it today, it is a nice looking little SUV, good size, but I was a little dissapointed in how stiff/hard the seats are and how truck like and austere it was inside. I thought it was kind of expensive for what it is, once you added the packages on and price climbs to over $45K and still no leather.
Like you, my current drive is an E Class. The GLK is certainly not an E Class, but it is a much more practical vehicle that is sized similar to and drives much like a C Class , without many of the E CLass luxury touches. I think it all depends on what you are looking for; if you want more luxury and softer seats, then maybe the ML or GL makes sense. However, I found the GLK seats, with 4 way electric lumbar adjustment, to be very comfortable.

As for pricing, I get the impression that many of the initial units for sale on US dealer lots are loaded with packages that may not be what many folks are looking for in the GLK. For example, the US "Mutilmedia Package" is an expensive bundle of goodies, some of which are unnecessary, such as the rear camera. If the car has Parktronic, a very useful feature, why have a camera ?

Then, there's the silly running boards, guaranteed to keep your pants
muddy ! And finally those 20" wheels; what sense do these make for any off-roading or even for pot-holed roads ? Maybe the 20" wheels are fine with the paved roads in SoCal, but those wheels sure don't make any sense in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sacguy
Don't be fooled by the "austerity" in the look of the German design. You will find all features, and some more, that you would expect. My wife commented on this when we bought my GL and in her words "it was so uncluttered compared to others that you can enjoy driving it".
Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by DerekACS
As for pricing, I get the impression that many of the initial units for sale on US dealer lots are loaded with packages that may not be what many folks are looking for in the GLK. For example, the US "Mutilmedia Package" is an expensive bundle of goodies, some of which are unnecessary, such as the rear camera. If the car has Parktronic, a very useful feature, why have a camera ?
Derek - please don't give out such terrifying ideas Come down to SoCal and I will show you what people do to their cars when they have Parktronic and rear camera.