Canadian GLK Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
yco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G37x
Originally Posted by SSFinest
I ordered my GLK Jan 25/09. Delivery sometime at the end of March. Bought it from Lone Star MB in Calgary Alberta. I did not get any discount. They were not willing to move at all on the price as the sales guy said that they were unable to due to the GLK being a 2010 model. I wanted the GLK so bad that I didnt want to hold out for a discount.

I was told that the aluminum roof rails were no longer available even with the sport package as it was only offered with the launch of the GLK.

I orderd - Obsidian Black Metallic/ Black Leather Interior / Premium Pkg/ Command Nav / Bi Xenons / MMI / 19' Rims (not really liking the split 5 spoke rim, will upgrade with aftermarket rims in the summer) / Aluminum interior trim
no discount? -_-

Did u try Calgary Smart Centre Hyatt?

I decide to buy one this fall if I can graduate this summer.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Well I am almost ready to put in my order, I will have to forego Keyless Go, they are just not building them. If I order what I want, I will have to wait until at least mid May, I figure its prob more like beginning of June. So there is a Tenorite Grey Metalic Paint with Black Artico and the following packagers Prem - Nav - Bixenon - Rear View Monitor - Sports (did not want) - Alum Running Boards (did not want) Media Interface - Alumin Trim - Floor Mats - $50 365 thats with a $1,000 discount taxes not included. I might be able to knock off another $500 from my conversation. $15392 on Delivery with tax(incld $550 refundable security, $10,000 down, freight admin fuel tax green levy? and taxes) so I give my answer tomorrow. This model I can have by next week.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM

B200 Turbo
Ordered my GLK on Wednesday. Now I have to wait 2 long months. I feel like I'm slumming when I drive my b200 turbo now
I had the opportunity to listen to the HK stereo. 5 minutes in I was sold!

Tenorite Grey, Premium/Nav/Sport/HK sound
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Leslielp
Well I am almost ready to put in my order, I will have to forego Keyless Go, they are just not building them. If I order what I want, I will have to wait until at least mid May, I figure its prob more like beginning of June. So there is a Tenorite Grey Metalic Paint with Black Artico and the following packagers Prem - Nav - Bixenon - Rear View Monitor - Sports (did not want) - Alum Running Boards (did not want) Media Interface - Alumin Trim - Floor Mats - $50 365 thats with a $1,000 discount taxes not included. I might be able to knock off another $500 from my conversation. $15392 on Delivery with tax(incld $550 refundable security, $10,000 down, freight admin fuel tax green levy? and taxes) so I give my answer tomorrow. This model I can have by next week.
Suggest that you ask your dealer to do a swap for the standard 19" wheels and have him credit you with the difference in price (CD$800).
This should be easily accomplished since your dealer will likely have another GLK buyer who would want to purchase the 20" wheels.

Last edited by DerekACS; 03-09-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Suggest that you ask your dealer to do a swap for the standard 19" wheels and have him credit you with the difference in price (CD$800).
This should be easily accomplished since your dealer will likely have another GLK buyer who would want to purchase the 20" wheels.
After looking at the GLK with the 19 and seeing the 20" on the roadtest model, I have to admit it does seem to fill up the wheel well better. So I am going to stick with them.
Well if everything goes well I should get it by Friday or Saturday. With all the discounts my mthly is $493.03 including tax. Total discount was $1284.25. Thats around $105 more/mth than a loaded up Highling Tiguan.

My only stipulation was that I have the car by this week. I think with more patience you can save more. This model is selling well and people are doing what I am, just taking what ever is out there.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 PM

GLK 350 / Acura Integra GSR (2001) Crackenstein Engine
Originally Posted by yco
no discount? -_-

Did u try Calgary Smart Centre Hyatt?

I decide to buy one this fall if I can graduate this summer.

I only went to Lone Star MB. But I called my sales guy and I told him about how the east coast got deal and he told me that I was miss informed and that if I didnt believe him that I can look at all the deals that he has done on the GLK and that there is no deals. So he pretty much is calling me a liar. I also confirmed that I am getting folding mirrors and led tail lights. My sales guy told me that I get those features for sure.

I talked to my buddy that bought a G500 and he told me that MB is pretty strict on the prices listed (in calgary that is).
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Fellow Canadians, I think we are getting very attractive deals on GLKs compared to US MSRP. Even on south of the border they are getting just a little higher from invoice price. Somehow I believe GLK was priced when CAD was stronger. If you use the current rate of 0.78, MB canada is selling it cheaper than MB USA. That might explain why discounts are much difficult to get here. If MB did not do any CAD hedging when they price the car, they may alreay loss money now.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Sonderklasse
Under certain circumstances, I don't doubt that margin is thinner on certain models or under certain deals. But I don't actually believe a business like MB would be selling cars at a loss. Nevertheless, I still believe MB Canada priced the GLK this way to gain market share. I am sure when they priced the GLK they factored in the CAD volatility; do not forget that that EUR has also weakened significantly in the past months.

Having said that, it is true that the GLK MSRP in Canada is cheaper than that of the USA and Canadians are getting a good deal.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Well took possesion of my Tenorite Grey on Friday 13th, so I am hoping for good luck with this vehicle. The only option I did not get was the Keyless Go, I was spending a small fortune renting a car on a weekly basis since the end of Jan so I am going to be saving some serious money now :-)

I ordered it on Monday with the stipulation that I have it in my possession on Friday and my Markham MB did a great job with making this happen. (actually my car was sold to someone else at another dealership but I beat them out by having my dealership submit it a few min before, MB Canada gave it to me based on my being first (I prob payed more :-) ) Anyway, I had only two choices with the options I wanted so it was a White or Grey. So having spent a few hrs and driving on about 60km I am very very happy.

1) the owners's manual does fit in the glove box, its all these novel sized books and they give you this carry case thats about 2 1/2" thick x 8" x 4", you have to put it in so it goes in length wise.
2) My model does look better with the sports package, the wheels just look awesome.
3) As of now there is no more chrome roof rails, the dealer mentioned that the ML has a problem with the chrome bottom bumper chrome screws rusting and MB just does not want to chance that with the roof rails on the GLK.
4)In Canada we do get LEDs in the rear tailights along with the folding side mirrors.
5)The Nav looks great if you set it in "Birds Eye View" its like ur flying over the streets and its very accurate.
6) The backup camera is dead on. You can actually park it over something and make a perfect lineup with the rear bumper, at night the rear backup lights are really bright and make the view super clear and yes its in colour.
7)The parktronic will actually beep if someone walks in front of you and you are in D or N
8)The headlight washers are not selectable, they will cycle into the windshield wash after the 8th-10th wash and wipe, did not try this out as of yet.

To sum it all up, I did have some reservations of getting this, but now that I have it, its one of the few times that wanting something and having it, have been met and acually exceeded. If I was younger I would probably sleep in it tonight :-)
Will I miss the Keyless Go, well I have never had it, it would have been nice but after the button is pressed its the same as me turning the key fob and its a $995 option, so my sports package is a good alternative use of $800
My GLK also had the running boards and they acutally look good with my dark grey and with the black plastic roof rails its a very balanced look.
I was told to keep the rpms below the redline for the first 500km. But the GLK is really quick in the "S" mode :-)
Voice command and bluetooth is average for the most part. I will need to play around with it to get it to be better.

Last edited by Leslielp; 03-13-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM

GLK 4Matic
Congrats on the new vehicle! I hope you love your new baby like we do ours. Also, I hope the rusting screws isn't going to be a problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 AM

GLK 350
Congrats Leslie, its time to post some pics eh....
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 PM

2009 IS-F, 2013 GLK
I just ordered a 2010 GLK, should arrive in May. Odered Bi-Xenons, Nav, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Rear View Camera, Media Interface, HK Sound in Iridium Silver. Do any of you think the HK sound system is worth the extra grand? It will mostly be used to listen to sat radio and ipod.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by retrop
Do any of you think the HK sound system is worth the extra grand? It will mostly be used to listen to sat radio and ipod.
That's a tough question to answer. It really depends on your budget and your love for music. There is no doubt that the GLK's HK system is a top quality installation, but it all a mater of priorities.
As for the rear camera, I asked my dealer about this before my GLK was built. His response was that the rear camera is "only needed by those who have trouble driving forward." The GLK has decent rear visibility and together with the Parktronic system, you really do not need a camera. Save your $$$.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Not sure if it's worth it, but I will be getting one as part of MM package. I'm very curious to play music DVD's with multiple channels and see the difference. CDs and Ipod have only two channels.

As far as back up camera I agree with above post, except if you have to park/back up in non-standard settings. Also parktronic is useless if you are closer than 12 inches and that's when camera is usefull.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by retrop
I just ordered a 2010 GLK, should arrive in May. Odered Bi-Xenons, Nav, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Rear View Camera, Media Interface, HK Sound in Iridium Silver. Do any of you think the HK sound system is worth the extra grand? It will mostly be used to listen to sat radio and ipod.
Congrats on your order, wow I don't think I could have held out until May :-)

Well if you are a satellite radio fan then the HK package is the only way to get it built in. The regular 8 speaker sound system is above average and has good sound imaging depending on your source. With the multimedia interface (4 cables) you can hookup just about anything to either setup, even an aftermarket sat radio.

Last edited by Leslielp; 03-15-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I have never heard my son's iPod sound better in any vehicle we have owned, as it does in the GLK. The HK system and iPod in the GLK blows away the sound of that combination in our '08 GL. YMMV of course.

Bish
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM

2008 MB C300; 2007 Acura RDX
Originally Posted by thebishman
I have never heard my son's iPod sound better in any vehicle we have owned, as it does in the GLK. The HK system and iPod in the GLK blows away the sound of that combination in our '08 GL. YMMV of course.

Bish
totally agree, my iPod sounded awesome in my tester!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I would recommend that one gets all the options one wants to begin with because it is much cheaper to add options from factory then to retrofit them.

Bish - that is very interesting to note that HK in GLK blows away HK in GL. Wondering if the smaller size has anything to do with it? Where are the tweeter and rear speakers placed in GLK? Post pics to prove
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM

2009 IS-F, 2013 GLK
Thanks for you input on the sound system. I'm willing to spend the extra for better sound, but we'll use it mostly to play mp3's and sat radio. I guess the hard drive would be useful as well.
We have HK sound in our ML, and it sounds good, just not great.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

2009 IS-F, 2013 GLK
Congrats on your order, wow I don't think I could have held out until May :-)
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I have a lease due in June so the timing works
Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 PM

GLK350
Observation: Canadian GLK's have the metric dashboard and by default the digital display shows your speed in km/hr and odometer in kms, fuel economy in litres/100 etc. Circling your digital display/speedometer you have the chrome ring with km/hr stamped on it. OK that's fine. Now let's say you want to take a drive down to Florida in your new wheels...

The display settings will allow you to change your odometer from kms to miles. It will also show your fuel economy expressed in mpg. But your current speed remains shown in km/hr... I have yet to find a way to have the digital display show my current speed in mph.

Hopefully someone out there with a metric dash will tell me I'm wrong and you can in fact have your speed shown in mph!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 AM

MY05 Jeep Liberty
LOL funny enough...
Checked out the Toyota Venza today. $926 monthly with 3k down, sales rep asked if were looking into any other cars... told him the GLK; Fair enough he asks how much a monthly payment would be. (If my calculations are right, which they were with the Venza.) I told him $987 taxes included.

I think he soiled himself.

LOL. Then tried to tell us that the Toyota Venza uses a Lexus engine; AND that Benz's don't use real wood trim... and that there EXTREMELY unreliable. Chyeah... coming from the same guy that thought Mercedes was spelt "Mursaydeez".
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by glkowner
Observation: Canadian GLK's have the metric dashboard and by default the digital display shows your speed in km/hr and odometer in kms, fuel economy in litres/100 etc. Circling your digital display/speedometer you have the chrome ring with km/hr stamped on it. OK that's fine. Now let's say you want to take a drive down to Florida in your new wheels...

The display settings will allow you to change your odometer from kms to miles. It will also show your fuel economy expressed in mpg. But your current speed remains shown in km/hr... I have yet to find a way to have the digital display show my current speed in mph.

Hopefully someone out there with a metric dash will tell me I'm wrong and you can in fact have your speed shown in mph!

I have tried, I think its the Canadian default to show the speed in Kph. Too bad I would have liked to use that one on any speeding tickets I got
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM

GLK350
I have tried, I think its the Canadian default to show the speed in Kph. Too bad I would have liked to use that one on any speeding tickets I got
I understand that km/hr is the default for Canadian cars. I'm curious as to why MB provide the option of switching the odometer reading to miles and your fuel economy to mpg but it won't let you view your current speed in mph? Canadians regularly take their cars south of the border for day trips or vacations. Not giving the driver the flexibility to temporarily switch the speed display to mph is not very 'north american friendly'.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Well I have to assume (there is that word again) that the software on the GLK is upgradeable by the dealer as MB will want to be able to tweak the interface since this is a new model. So hopefully its something that can be added in the future. Hmmm I should start a thread "What features and improvements should the GLK 2.0 software have?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadian GLK Owners