To parktronic or not to parktronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
To parktronic or not to parktronic

So...I really wanted to get parktronic on GLK as I park all the time in the kinda small garage, so it would make it easier to know how close my front gets to other cars and walls. I loved it on E-Class in Europe.

Then, I saw silver GLK with parktronic and really disliked the look of the "holes." Why can't the make it the same as on higher MB's idk (maybe cost).

So now I'm second guessing myself. On one had after a few days of learning the size of the car I would prolly turn it off (as it would constnatly beeb if you get closer than 12 inches). On the other hand in other non-standard situations it might be helpful to know how close you are to the objects.

Any input on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yeah at first I had the same concern as I was used to driving smaller cars. The GLK is quite easy to park in tight spaces, not that I recommend it because someone else might ding your doors.

You're right, the dots look ugly on the ones equipped with parktronic, only if it has lighter paint color otherwise it is barely noticeable in dark colored GLKs.

When are you getting your GLK already ! Come join the fun

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
So...I really wanted to get parktronic on GLK as I park all the time in the kinda small garage, so it would make it easier to know how close my front gets to other cars and walls. I loved it on E-Class in Europe.

Then, I saw silver GLK with parktronic and really disliked the look of the "holes." Why can't the make it the same as on higher MB's idk (maybe cost).

So now I'm second guessing myself. On one had after a few days of learning the size of the car I would prolly turn it off (as it would constnatly beeb if you get closer than 12 inches). On the other hand in other non-standard situations it might be helpful to know how close you are to the objects.

Any input on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jpjolo; 04-01-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Dealer is supposed to let me know today if sepcials stayed. In that case he is gonna try to intercept GLK going to CO, and get it to me by mid April.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
That's one of the reason why I didnt get the premium pkg, i only got the Rear view which offers me great visibility and practicality!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Parktronic is not part of PP in US, it's a stand alone option. I'm also getting review view camera as part of Multimedia Package. I was more interested in parktronic in front, but most likely won't be getting it, as it's a rare option to begin with.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:21 PM

528i, GLK
I initially thought I would need it as well but found the rear view cam to be pretty accurate.

The GLk looks big but we all know it really isn't. Parking is much easier than my 528 and even the c-class.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by webada
I initially thought I would need it as well but found the rear view cam to be pretty accurate.

The GLk looks big but we all know it really isn't. Parking is much easier than my 528 and even the c-class.
That's good to know. I think I'm skiping parktronic.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
That's good to know. I think I'm skiping parktronic.
FWIW, I would recommend get it. At least on my GL, the "holes" are barely noticable. Plus, pretty much all cars that have parking sensors have them in "holes" so it is a standard look.

Avoid buyer's remorse down the road and get a loaded one out of the door.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM

528i, GLK
I thought buyer's remorse is regret getting the car all together... usually happens when you place an order and waiting for the car to arrive....
LOL
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 AM

W124 E320 Kombi
Parktronic

Hi, I have a brand new in the box parktronic (front) for sale if any one wants it. Made by Bosch URF6.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I have Parktronic on my R and find it useless. It gives off way too many false positives, such as pulling in and out of a garage it will bounce off the car parked next to you and beep like crazy. Snow also seems to reap havoc on the sensors with false positives as well. I've also noticed that if you need to park close to something, you have to ignore the lights and beeps anyways, because when it claims your too close, you still have a bit of distance between you and the object. Not to mention I haven't found a full proof way of turning it off for good, you can turn if off and as soon as you turn the ignition off and back on, Parktronic comes back on.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 AM

W124 E320 Kombi
Parktronic

personally I love it.
I have used the angled spacers to turn the sensors a bit inwards (if that makes sense) so I dont get readings from, too much to the side. Only objects that are behind me. We had an audi 3 or 4 years ago and my wife backed it into a steel post. The insurance company wrote of a very nice a4 wagon. Then gave us 25% of what it was worth (it was mint). I will never have a car with out them even if I have to retro fit them.
I also have an idea of when and where the light sensors go on so I can get very close. I did this by parking in front of a plate glass window an watching my reflection to get an idea of what the whole disco light show was indicating.

But then again I am not a great driver and love all of the help I can get.

If you want to disconnect the sensors permanently, go to the parktronic computer and disconnect (unplug) its power supply, this comes off the rear tail light power box. You can turn it back on by plugging it back in.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM

ml350
The car is not big. so I think it's a waste of money, but if the car has it I 'll take it.
I needed on my Suburban.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I was the OP and ended up with no parktronic. My observations so far is that it's not not a must especially in US. However, since this is my first SUV, even tho it's small, it always seems to me that I'm closer to things that I really am. Parktronic would make it getting used to the size easier and quicker, but after that it would be only ruining the look of the bumpers for me.

On a side note, rearview camera also makes wall in the back seem a lot closer than it is.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM

W124 E320 Kombi
retro

I retro fitted for around 25% of the cost so....... not a whole lot of cash.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
i wish i have gotten this damn parktronic

I'm not used to driving suvs

the way the hood is shaped, its hard for me to see how close i am from hitting things