GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Scratch Repair Dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Scratch Repair Dilemma

From another thread I mentioned that I got my car back from the dealer after a repair, only to find out that they had put a one inch scratch on the drivers door.

The scratch is deep enough to require paint and they said that they may have to repaint the whole door. Since my car just came off the showroom floor and only has 300 miles on it, I really don't want to have the whole door repainted.

Since it can't be buffed out, should I have the whole door repainted or just touch up the scratch and live with it or are there any other suggestions?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
We need to see it, to mare recommendations. I have no idea how big/deep/noticable.

My recomendation will be to live with it, but I need to see it first. I think there are alot of body shops might be able to take care of it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
If the dealer said it needs to be repainted, then it needs to be repainted. It would cost far less to repair a door then paint a door. Im guessing they are paying for it right? If so, im sure you can tell them to repair it, im sure they will be more then happy to do it, since it will be much cheaper. So stop thinking about it. It obviously needs paint to be done right, other wise they would have suggested touch up. Trust me a full repaint will look much much better.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^You are assuming dealer damaged it. I don't think that's the case. I think he got scratched somewhere else and dealer is not responsible. If dealer is, then what's the point of this thread?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 PM

GLK 350
^^^Well according to the first line it states: "I got my car back from the dealer after a repair, only to find out that they had put a one inch scratch on the drivers door."

Now where he mentions they is the dealer, and they damaged his vehicle. He is simply asking what we would do in this case.

Rayenet, post a pic so we can give better advise, but with the description you have given so far, I would get it repainted. Ask them to blend it correctly so you don't see a difference in the paint. It must be painful since the car is brand new, but if you don't correct it, you can have a potential to get rust, which will be more painful. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
My bad, I saw this in another thread and was under impression it wasn't definite that dealer damaged it.

It that case, they should do whatever it takes to make it go away.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
My bad, I saw this in another thread and was under impression it wasn't definite that dealer damaged it.

It that case, they should do whatever it takes to make it go away.
No worries bro its all good . Any word on your GLK?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Happened to me with my Cayenne when it was only about 6 months old! I was sick to my stomach. However my dealer took care of it, and had the whole passenger door painted. The shop they used was super high end, and knew there stuff. When I got it back it was 100% perfect!. Just make sure there sending it to a classy joint that knows what there doing!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 AM

528i, GLK
you mentioned it was autobahn motors? and you had mixed results on their repairs in the past? Is this a actual MB dealer or some kind of automall?

I would only go for a repaint if its done by a actual MB dealership or a reputable body shop that you can trust.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:23 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
you mentioned it was autobahn motors? and you had mixed results on their repairs in the past? Is this a actual MB dealer or some kind of automall?

I would only go for a repaint if its done by a actual MB dealership or a reputable body shop that you can trust.

Autobahn Motors is a Mercedes Benz dealer in Belmont California and the body shop that they use is Eurotech a Mercedes certified shop. Given that, I guess I'll just have them paint it to match and be done with the whole issue.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Baby G
No worries bro its all good . Any word on your GLK?
Sales guy is on vacation till Monday. The car should be at the dealer, but can't take off from work so will have to wait till the following Saturday (25th).