GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Prototype parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by F450Mikey
Why two tubes? What size is that tubing, 3/4"? How about a single piece of 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" in the center with the 3/4" "loops" on the ends attached to the plates? You could probably get away with DOM tubing to be more cost effective too. Looks good so far. I like the detail on the strut plates.
I used twin 7/8" tubes and locked them together with the center braces. Twin tube designs are much stronger then any single tube design due to the fact that it has 4 solid connecting points instead of two. Also it is much easier to bend/twist a single tube then it is to try to bend/twist 2 tubes that are joinded together in mutiple areas.

Thank you for the compliment. Just as a reminder the Brace in the picture is just a prototype. The production models will be much more solid with different cross braces.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM

GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by yualfred
^^ agree, from mechanical rigidity point of view. A single larger tube is much better than 2 smaller ones. I don't know however, how much room you have under the hood.
My fabricator has been designing/building racecars for 33 years and has been driving them for the past 29 years. Every part we make will be built up to racecar standards.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I tend to agree with others. It might easier to bend single tube, but I think it's much easier to twist two parallel tubes, in your case the 3 braces take all of the twisting force not the tubes themselves. I'm sure it would not matter if it's single or twin tube model for dynamics. But from reliability standpoint I can see those little braces connecting the two tubes snapping if not welded well from the twisting force.

Also, racecar is different from an SUV by about 1,500 pounds if not more. Plus, race cars have rolling cage and no doors which increases rigity dramatically. If you really want to make it strong, why not go with CF, unless it's a lot more expensive.
How much do you plan on selling it for?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I tend to agree with others. It might easier to bend single tube, but I think it's much easier to twist two parallel tubes, in your case the 3 braces take all of the twisting force not the tubes themselves. I'm sure it would not matter if it's single or twin tube model for dynamics. But from reliability standpoint I can see those little braces connecting the two tubes snapping if not welded well from the twisting force.

Also, racecar is different from an SUV by about 1,500 pounds if not more. Plus, race cars have rolling cage and no doors which increases rigity dramatically. If you really want to make it strong, why not go with CF, unless it's a lot more expensive.
How much do you plan on selling it for?
I would love to see you try to bend my brace. So what you are trying to tell me is that you can snap 4 welds easier than you can snap 2 not counting all the center support welds...makes no sense at all. Also I take it that you know more than someone that has been building chassis' for 33 years. No matter what the weight of a vehicle is the welds are the same. There are no compact car welds, truck welds, or motorcycle welds if they are done right like mine are they will work perfectly.

As far as carbon fiber goes of course it is more expensive don't you look at any websites or magazines. If I made a carbon brace it would go for about $1000 like other companies that make them for BMW. Besides if it were carbon I would have to make it in 3 sections. 2 mounting plates with brackets so the crossbrace could connect to it and the crossbrace itself. There would have to be 2 bolts per side side to connect the brace with the plates. To me a solid bar with no extra hardware is much strong than a multi piece brace.

Thanks once again NYCGLK

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 05-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Hey, I just shared my observations, not trying to knock your or your fabricator's experience. I don't build car frames, I don't do welding so I have no idea how that stuff is made. I just see two tubes welded by three braces, and that didn't look right to me just like it didn't look right to others. It very well can be very strong. Also I know that CF material costs more, I just have not idea how much more. My last car had CF hood by Carbon Creations that cost 500 bux, didn't expect a CF brace to be a $1000.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Hey, I just shared my observations, not trying to knock your or your fabricator's experience. I don't build car frames, I don't do welding so I have no idea how that stuff is made. I just see two tubes welded by three braces, and that didn't look right to me just like it didn't look right to others. It very well can be very strong. Also I know that CF material costs more, I just have not idea how much more. My last car had CF hood by Carbon Creations that cost 500 bux, didn't expect a CF brace to be a $1000.
Like I said before the cross brace design in the pictures is only on my prototype. A different design is going to be used for the production model. The brace is working far better than I had expected. I am leaving it on my personal ride so I can get a feel for all different driving conditions. I have taken many hairpin turns on some very twisted roads out in the hills around town. There are several posted 15 mph turns out there that I have
taken at 32-35 mph with ease. The only thing I feel reaching it's limit are the tires. MB did an amazing job with their suspension design and I just topped it off by helping the struts stay inline.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 PM

Renntechs W204 prices:

I got a person from Renntech to give me pricing on their rear strut tower brace,which comes out in the next couple of weeks. I was told it will be between $1000-$1300 each. When the front brace comes out it will be about the same price and as of right now they are planning on selling them as a pair only so $2000-$2600. The downfall to their rear bar are the quick release pins...not as strong as a bolted or welded bar since there is flex/play in the pin area.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Renntech struts too much

Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
Renntechs W204 prices:

I got a person from Renntech to give me pricing on their rear strut tower brace,which comes out in the next couple of weeks. I was told it will be between $1000-$1300 each. When the front brace comes out it will be about the same price and as of right now they are planning on selling them as a pair only so $2000-$2600. The downfall to their rear bar are the quick release pins...not as strong as a bolted or welded bar since there is flex/play in the pin area.

Way too much for a strut bar!

Let us know when you will start selling your struts.

I'm getting one
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MadLorGLK
Way too much for a strut bar!

Let us know when you will start selling your struts.

I'm getting one
I will be posting pics of the new bar this evening. And should be ready for orders anyday now. Sorry I have'nt been quicker with the process, but I am working on multiple parts for our GLK's. Trying to make the strongest parts that I can.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 350z
Hey jay, good luck on the business,

I recommend this guy to anyone out there. Once we get a GLK, This will be my first part! Can't wait to see the final product