5 days 200 miles in GLK - Short Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
5 days 200 miles in GLK - Short Review

I guess I will share a few observations after having this car for a few days now. Keep in mind I'm coming an econ. car.

Pros.
- Xenons are excellent. I have clearly noticed that they swivel on curvy roads. Corner lights are also nice addition, but to be honest when headlights are on, you can barely notice that corner light comes on.
- Car feel very solid. I drive on very crappy roads in Hoboken, but my old car used to rattle and feel like it's about to fall apart. I'll add suspension here as well, GLK's suspension with 20's does awesome job working through all of the potholes.
- Quiteness...shhhh. Talking through bluetooth at 85 is not a problem at all. Also many times I would try to start the car as I would not realize it's already running.
- Bluetooth works perfectly with our two blackberries. It connects to one set up last, but you can switch between them.
- Navigation is good. Better than my Navman (which is pretty outdated). Very easy to use and it does the job.
- Sound system is awesome. Still need to try out DVD-Audio, and get some CDs to fully appreciate it.
- Yesterday I tired out commands, very nice. It understood Hickey Ter. in Saddle Brook nj with my russian accent haha.
- Dynamics are also really good. I pushed it a couple of times very briefly and this thing is pretty fast and sounds pretty good. As I mention suspension is really good. I've taken the same ramps at the same speeds as in my old cars with much more confidence. Haven't tried pushing really hard yet.

Cons:
- Went 204 miles on the first tank (filled up 15 gallons). That's about 14mpg in mixed driving. I think worst here is 204 miles on a tank. Bigger tank is very needed.
- I read it in magazines too, this car produces quite a bit of hear toss, on uneven roads. I think it's just because it's higher off the ground.
- Breaks. They not that bad, but have to be pushed hard to work. More initial bite and more linearity would make them much better.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 05-03-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Hey NYC, I see that you had the license plate brackets with the tinted cover in the first couple of pics. Did you take em off because the boys in blue? I like the Way they look.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
No it's on in front in all pics. Actually I put the rear cover today (not in the pics) as I had to find longer screws. I do like the look of them, too.

We'll see if boys in blue mind. I figure the worst case is I'll be asked to take them off. My excuse is that they were sold in NJ in the auto store, so I thought I could put them on.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
Cons:
- Went 204 miles on the first tank (filled up 15 gallons). That's about 14mpg in mixed driving. I think worst here is 204 miles on a tank. Bigger tank is very needed.
- I read it in magazines too, this car produces quite a bit of hear toss, on uneven roads. I think it's just because it's higher off the ground.
- Breaks. They not that bad, but have to be pushed hard to work. More initial bite and more linearity would make them much better.[/quote]

-yes tank should be a little bigger

-head toss is there but might be due to the large wheels/low profile somewhat stiff suspension(still a decenty ride for me though..)

-brakes will get better...my glk has about 1k mile anmd the brakes feel like they are biting sooner than when new.

just my .02
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
good to know that breaks get better. The ride is also good for me, goes over broken road very well, yet feels confident in high speed turns. I think headtoss for me is more of an issue because the car is taller than my previous ones, hence more momentum when going over smooth but uneven roads.

One more con:

Sound system could use a lot more bass, I had to turn bass to 9 and lower the treble to hear some decent bass. I think JBL in my 01 Solara had more bass than this. Maybe it was the song I was trying it on.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
One more con:

Sound system could use a lot more bass, I had to turn bass to 9 and lower the treble to hear some decent bass. I think JBL in my 01 Solara had more bass than this. Maybe it was the song I was trying it on.
is logic 7 surround on? this will reduce bass effect as the sound will be more hollow like.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Hmmm. It is on, I'll try turning it off and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM

GLK 4Matic
NYCGLK, I noticed that about the brakes. I'm not complaining about them but I just thought it was MB's "style" so to me, they're just different. We are used to them by now.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM

528i, GLK
they are not MB style, c-class do not feel like that at all either are the E-class.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
got another thing to add:
This GLK is 7 inches longer than my old car, but turns better. I have to drive in garages every time I drive and GLK can turn rather well. Still need to get used to the view, as it always seems I'm close to things, when I have at least another foot (should've gotten parktronic oh well).

Also noted that camera makes things seem much closer than they are.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Thanks for the review / feedback.

The turning radius on these MB crossovers is amazing. I always joke with my wife that I can do uturns in a matchbox with our R350 lol