GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB-Tex/Artico or Leather... Which Feels Better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 BMW 530xi & '14 ML350
MB-Tex/Artico or Leather... Which Feels Better?

For the owners who have either MB-Tex/Artico or leather seats... which one do you think feels better? We know that MB-Tex is easier to maintain, so no need to mention that point.

I ask because I ordered MB-Tex, but I am seriously reconsidering changing it to leather before it goes into production. I have leatherette in my BMW, and it doesn't feel as "cheap" as MB-Tex.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I can't tell the difference. Go with MBtex and save money and hassle.

I think MBtex is much better that bimmer's leatherette, with bimmers I could def tell difference.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by blinkme_210
For the owners who have either MB-Tex/Artico or leather seats... which one do you think feels better? We know that MB-Tex is easier to maintain, so no need to mention that point.

I ask because I ordered MB-Tex, but I am seriously reconsidering changing it to leather before it goes into production. I have leatherette in my BMW, and it doesn't feel as "cheap" as MB-Tex.
Tex is very nice indeed, but no way better then the leather!
Sorry those that say so are just plain wrong or don't want to pay the extra cost?
Plus you get the lighting package with leather which I feel is a great addition!
You'll get those that claim Tex holds better, ya right. Leather taken care of last forever!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 AM

528i, GLK
i can't say MB's leather is that much better than MB tex. I had the chance to compare them side by side in the showroom. I agree BMW's leatherette vs leather is a bigger difference than mbtex vs mb leather.

its either mbtex is very well made or mb's leather is not all that.

take our "leather" wrapped steering wheel, it feels like alligator skins!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by webada
i can't say MB's leather is that much better than MB tex. I had the chance to compare them side by side in the showroom. I agree BMW's leatherette vs leather is a bigger difference than mbtex vs mb leather.

its either mbtex is very well made or mb's leather is not all that.

take our "leather" wrapped steering wheel, it feels like alligator skins!

I'll say this, Benz's leather is not all that! Yes the MB Tex is easier to take care of, and the only real way to tell the difference is by smell. MB tex has no smell at all, while the Benz leather does. But that smell wears off pretty quick. My feeling is that the leather in other German car companies is much better. I'm going by some of the cars I've owned in the past. Porsche leather blows Benz away, 3 years with my Cayenne and it still smelled like new leather, as well as not having any creases from sitting in the seats. Normal wear and tear is fine and expected. But my E Class Leather looked plenty worn after only about 6 months. IMO I'd go with MB Tex for a Benz.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM

2010 GLK 350, 2008 F450 Pick Up, 2005 325
The wife wanted gray leather. She did not like the MB Tex at all. It is worth the extra $1800!
Luxury cars should have leather as standard equipment.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by F450Mikey
The wife wanted gray leather. She did not like the MB Tex at all. It is worth the extra $1800!
Luxury cars should have leather as standard equipment.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Get the leather. I have experienced both, Tex is durable and will look brand new forever but it is hot in the summer and feels somewhat dry or something. The leather will always smell nice and you just have to condition it once in a while. Despite what people think, MB leather is actually very high quality and will last if taken care of properly.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 PM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
leather is leather MB tex is not... that said it depends on the color and how long you are keeping your ride MB tex looks good 6 years out in any color ... Leather hmmm if its not black you would be lucky to have it still looking good in 12 months, double that time for black. Those light greys and tans are just dirt and stain magnets, and leather tends to show its age pretty quick.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM

2007 C230 Sport
After experiencing both for 3 years each, I would say go with the leather. I will never go back to MB Tex again. It's not horrible, but on warmer days, you'll quickly learn that man-made products to do not breathe very well.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM

MB GLK350
I saw MB-Tex and leather in the showroom... and I chose leather. The seats not only look better (a more intricate and expensive-looking pattern), but after two months, they are comfortably breaking in and breathe very well - which is of great importance in hot Houston. If you're going to have a luxury car, leave the plastic seats to lesser vehicles. Use a little Zaino's leather lotion and your car will always smell as luxurious on the inside as it looks on the outside.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
I have leather...no regrets at all....
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM

2010 GLK350
I spent the extra $ on the gray leather because the thought of black vinyl burning my butt in the summer wasn't high on my list for $50k! I was shocked REAL leather wasn't a standard item & the sales guy didn't like me calling the other stuff "vinyl" & asking who was the idiot who ordered a $50k spec car with vinyl & expects it to sell?!?!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 AM

2010 GLK350
I cannot believe people don't see hugh difference let along the feel of it.
I was @ dealer today and the tex does not look or feel as good as the leather!

I was looking @ the new E350 coupe & boy is it nice! GLK350 just might be going bye bye :-)
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Barry626
I cannot believe people don't see hugh difference let along the feel of it.
I was @ dealer today and the tex does not look or feel as good as the leather!

I was looking @ the new E350 coupe & boy is it nice! GLK350 just might be going bye bye :-)
I drove my 528 to check out MB GLK, I can tell you BMW's leather is way better than MB, atleast the ones on the GLK. So, maybe the difference is there but I certainly didn't felt the quality so I stuck with MBTex. no regrets at all.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
I drove my 528 to check out MB GLK, I can tell you BMW's leather is way better than MB, atleast the ones on the GLK. So, maybe the difference is there but I certainly didn't felt the quality so I stuck with MBTex. no regrets at all.
Are u sure it was the leather you were looking at?
9-10 dealers don't even stock any GLK350 with Leather.
Has the pleat stiching going down the center of the seats.

Funny how we all see things different. I had two BMW's 330 & 335.
Both with Dakota leather & I sure would not say it's a hugh difference over MB.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM

GLK350
Of course MB-Tex cannot be compared with leather. I have MB-Tex on my GLK and I have no regrets. I had leather in my previous cars and the reason I had them was because either it was standard already, or comes with heater seats. Since MB-Tex comes with heated seats already so to me leather isn't that necessary. MB-Tex is also easier to maintain and will look good for years to come.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I made damn sure NOT to get leather with this car.... all my cars have had or currently have leather.... feels good brand new... smells great when new too... but if you use leather clearners and treatments... plus have heated seats... the leather and foam cushions decay faster... the leather over time becomes too smooth and glossy... so your booty slips and slides all over... the nooks and crannies fill with dirst and stay stained... and severe rips or cuts cost too much to fix and/or replace.

In a $35-42,000 car?... not.... (It's an entry Benz anyway... it's not needed.)
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by MBRedux
I made damn sure NOT to get leather with this car.... all my cars have had or currently have leather.... feels good brand new... smells great when new too... but if you use leather clearners and treatments... plus have heated seats... the leather and foam cushions decay faster... the leather over time becomes too smooth and glossy... so your booty slips and slides all over... the nooks and crannies fill with dirst and stay stained... and severe rips or cuts cost too much to fix and/or replace.

In a $35-42,000 car?... not.... (It's an entry Benz anyway... it's not needed.)
I must disagree with you there! Leather is better... looks better, feels better, smells better. BTW... there is a BIG difference in the look/pattern of the seat. The Artico seats are plain with a perforated middle cushion. A blind man could spot them out. Don't get me wrong, the leather option is pricey, and the money is better spent on other options IMO. Bottom line: If you have the cash, DO IT, if you don't, DON'T.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by JT01
I must disagree with you there! Leather is better... looks better, feels better, smells better. BTW... there is a BIG difference in the look/pattern of the seat. The Artico seats are plain with a perforated middle cushion. A blind man could spot them out. Don't get me wrong, the leather option is pricey, and the money is better spent on other options IMO. Bottom line: If you have the cash, DO IT, if you don't, DON'T.
Please read my post again. I said that leather "is better".... when NEW! That EVERY car I currently own or have EVER owned in the past has had leather, except this one. Not because we couldn't "afford it" but because we didn't want it. Why? Because we found that within 3 years, especially if the car had heated seats and the leather was routinely cleaned and treated... the leather would slowly become too smooth, too shiny and too slippery… something I now completely dislike. MB-Tex actually holds up better under these same circumstances. As a matter of fact… even Ferrari is now looking into a similar fabric for their cars.

It’s not all a matter of “looks”, “smell” or “pompous protégé” to everyone anymore. We just don’t appreciate slipping and sliding in our seat as we're having fun driving.

Last edited by MBRedux; 10-14-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
It’s not all a matter of “looks”, “smell” or “pompous protégé” to everyone anymore. We just don’t appreciate slipping and sliding in our seat as we're having fun driving.
What kind of of pants are you wearing that you slip around everywhere when you drive?
Anyways... I get your point. I just disagree with you, that's all.

My view is... Then why even get a Benz? The are many less expensive and more reliable Japanese crossover alternatives. Why buy a black vehicle? Why get a cream interior? Why get electronic options that will undoubtedly cause you problems in the future? Etc... It's all part of what makes it a luxury crossover. It has nothing to do with practicality.

I guess we all have our preferences...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JT01
What kind of of pants are you wearing that you slip around everywhere when you drive?
Anyways... I get your point. I just disagree with you, that's all.

My view is... Then why even get a Benz? The are many less expensive and more reliable Japanese crossover alternatives. Why buy a black vehicle? Why get a cream interior? Why get electronic options that will undoubtedly cause you problems in the future? Etc... It's all part of what makes it a luxury crossover. It has nothing to do with practicality.

I guess we all have our preferences...
Why do I get the funny feeling that we are saying the same thing in different ways but for some reason it's going over your head? The only thing you appear to be upset with was our "preference" not to get leather with a Benz.... that our "preference" or reasons not to get leather should therefore negate any reason to buy a Benz in the first place!... or to load it up with better "electronic options" may some how equate those options with leather?... and therefore if "leather" is left off the list, then "why even get a Benz?" with "electronic options" no less?... that there are "many less expensive and more reliable Japanese crossover alternatives" to choose from..... it all defies logic!

Man... I don't know what to say right now other than you must have a SIMPLETON POV to everything.............................. if "leather" in a Merc is really your ONLY basis for buying a Benz (with options) over a "Japanese crossover alternative" in the first place!.....

Pants... everything from Armani to Levi's

Last edited by MBRedux; 10-14-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
That's taking it a little too far imo. Having leather or not would be a personal preference in the end to each own's justification, but the fact is that the new artico material is more durable and to some that aren't as experienced might not be able to tell the difference easily. I personally don't mind either but for the sake of not having to take care of real leather from time to time I went with the Artico, as it doesn't feel so different to me.

Another way of looking at this is to see how far MB has taken their MB-Tex/Artico material to the point where they are proud of it and fully endorse it against real leather. What other automotive manufacturer out there can say the same? Sure a Lexus or Acura has similar if not even more loaded features in an MB equivalent vehicle but it sure doesn't have anything near the developed material that MB promotes, and you sure as hell can't compare some scrubby fabric seats in a Ford to a Merc or even BMW.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded

It’s not all a matter of “looks”, “smell” or “pompous protégé” to everyone anymore.
BTW... you tell me what your comment above insinuates!... since you are so quick to interpret my comments.

Perhaps a simple minded suggestion, but if you'd wear your diaper on the outside of your armanys you wouldn't slip as much, regardless of the seating surface!

Anyways, this argument is useless and I am done with it.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM

2010 GLK350 4matic Blk w/Beige Artico/Wlnt. PP,SP,MMI,C-Nav,Xenon,AlumBoards+20's,Tow Hitch,
Maybe we are all flogging a dead cow with it's own tail, but to buy a live cow only costs about $880 Cdn. Heck, I only paid $1500 for a Natutsi leather couch, armchair and ottoman.

Yes, MB should have included it in the car at that price, but then I expect the base would have jumped to 44k from the getgo. So WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE, why would I put a more expensive chair in my car than in my living room.

This made other packages more affordable. My Beige Artico still breathed well in the summer thanks to all the micro holes. No butt burn for me this year. Besides, most friends and family didn't realize it wasn't leather, I didn't have the heart to tell em.

One more note. I will bet that later on if you are selling privately, most MB Newbies wont ask for fear of sounding green, and most dealers might throw back an extra $200 because it had leather.

So, I say, save your money, go buy a cow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB-Tex/Artico or Leather... Which Feels Better?