GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
GLK Future

Ok, if GLK never reaches volume critical mass, topic over.

But for those of us that think the platform is viable and a probable sales success, what is its future?

Let's not go down the AMG trail because that is another tread.

The original Mustang and its "1st Refresh" were the best it ever got and it was a downhill slide towards bloated and genric after that.

Is the GLK or its first refresh as good as it gets for this concept? Foreget AMG as the savior for a under sold GLK, AMG is spice market add, not savior.

How could MB improve GLK, without destroying the concept and how could they destroy the concept?

I own and love my original GLK, but where from here?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM

none
Obviously they could improve on fuel economy. Diesel maybe? I don't see the glk as ground breaking, rather filling in a market segment. It is a nice suv/suv but it can use some more cargo space. The cargo is null.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Agree with M_goldberg, I would see a diesel version coming to the US.

And a "stretched" version with a bit more cargo space behind the rear seats would be welcomes as well although that might spoil the lines and push the price point too close to the M-Class.

Finally, I'd like to see a redesign of the video screens in the back to make them more integrated with the vehicle. That whole system looks like a cobbled-on afterthought.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:02 AM

528i, GLK
In terms of cargo space, I think GLK is right where it wants to be. Larger cargo would def. disrupt its SUV lines.

I see restyling in GLK's future. Too many reviews pointed out its bipolar styling. People either hate it or love it. I feel MB will do a minor facelift on this model quicker than other models before.

I think Diesel will be in the US. They'll see how well Audi's CDI sales goes. I'm wondering if US gov't would provide a tax break for ppl purchasing Diesel.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by webada
In terms of cargo space, I think GLK is right where it wants to be. Larger cargo would def. disrupt its SUV lines.

I see restyling in GLK's future. Too many reviews pointed out its bipolar styling. People either hate it or love it. I feel MB will do a minor facelift on this model quicker than other models before.

I think Diesel will be in the US. They'll see how well Audi's CDI sales goes. I'm wondering if US gov't would provide a tax break for ppl purchasing Diesel.
A 4 cyl diesel with 204 HP and 354 ft/lb of torque and 34 MPG (Wonderdiesel)would make me take a serious look. Although I love our GL, I can see where downsizing could make sense, in the future.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Diesel is the only thing I can see happening in new future.

ML got refresh this year after 3-4 years, which you can barely tell. I think it will be the same thing with GLK, which is good thing since it'll keep GLK looking fresh for longer. I think C-class will be a good indication when GLK will get refreshed.

One thing to note is that there is new more efficient 3.5 V6 with about 300hp that MB is putting in E class in europe, but I don't think that engine will make it to C or GLK for another couple of years.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:40 PM

GLK 4Matic
Eventually, shorten the hood/front end, and add just a hair rear seat room. With the small front end, add the small diesel.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by M_goldberg
Obviously they could improve on fuel economy. Diesel maybe? I don't see the glk as ground breaking, rather filling in a market segment. It is a nice suv/suv but it can use some more cargo space. The cargo is null.
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Agree with M_goldberg, I would see a diesel version coming to the US.

And a "stretched" version with a bit more cargo space behind the rear seats would be welcomes as well although that might spoil the lines and push the price point too close to the M-Class.

Finally, I'd like to see a redesign of the video screens in the back to make them more integrated with the vehicle. That whole system looks like a cobbled-on afterthought.
Yes there is a diesel in Europe, and possibly coming to North America in 2011.
As far as the cargo space goes, the GLK is perfect (RDX/Q5/etc fighter)
Any bigger wouldn't make it a small compact SUV anymore, it will become too much like an ML-sized GL.

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
add the small diesel.
Bring the big and small diesel.