GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Owner Dealing with the Fear and Doubt Creeping in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK, CLK, CLS
Exclamation GLK Owner Dealing with the Fear and Doubt Creeping in...

Hey guys,
I have a few things I'd like to have cleared up if possible.
1. When will the new E Coupe be released in Canada? What will be the price in CDN $?
2. I just took delivery of my GLK less than 4 weeks ago, and I'm very very happy. However, I'm starting to fear that I made a mistake. The reason is I think the GLK is a "family car", and it's not for a 21 year old like myself. What do you think? Do you think it was wrong for me to buy a GLK? I really like the C Class (as well as the SLK & CLK of course), but I figured the C Class with Sport Package would have a hard time plowing through snow, whereas the GLK is expected to handle it.
But, now that the E Coupe is coming, I was thinking maybe I should've gotten that (assuming the price will be in line with my GLK, which is about $61K after taxes). So to cut it short, I want your opinion on this. I feel what I've done was really stupid (because of the type of the car and my age).
3. Hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to "trade in" my 4 week old GLK back to the dealer and get the E Coupe...how much do you think I've lost on it??? It's got 1700 KM on it.
4. Does anyone know if there is a HARD TOP CONVERTIBLE Mercedes planned for any time soon??
5. Do you think the CLK will be priced lower to have it cleared it out as it's discontinued?
Thanks guys...appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
21 years old and you can afford to drive a Mercedes? It really doesn't matter which model, you are obviously demonstrating that you are a very successful professional.

I'm 53 yrs and can only now afford a MB (barely).

I think the GLK is too small to be considered a "family" car. A family of 2 kids with all their stuff would be a tight fit. Minivans, large SUVs, they're the "family" cars. Plus, you'll appreciate that extra room when you go and pick up the large flat screen TV!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM

528i, GLK
I think you are experience buyers remorse.

I was driving a GLK and a hot chick in a w204 was checking out my ride.... so I don't think its a family family car.

I think GLK is in between, young couples (where my demo belongs), young professionals, etc...

you see alot of mods for the w204 sports, hop over to the w204 and you will see the type of demographics and personality. (although i've seen grandmas in w204 luxury) GLK is a good balance of sportiness and practicality. if you are the type that keep cars for a long time, you will find the extra space in GLK vs c-class more useful.

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
The GLK is very sporty and modern compared to other SUV's on the road. It has a very capable suspension if you chose to do some spirited driving on twisty roads which other SUV's don't. It also has space for sports equipment or other important items (keg) if you need that extra space. I have gotten thumbs up from multiple MB drivers of all ages, so to me it is a very positive purchase.

By the way, if you do trade your's in you will take a very big hit since the vehicle would now be considered used no matter how low the mileage, they would take a cut when it comes time to resell it also.

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 05-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM

GLK 350
I wouldn't say its a family car, but agree with others that its for young professionals, couples, etc. In regards to the new E coupe, its a nice car, but I really don't see it fall in price line with the GLK. GLK starts off at 41K Cdn. E-Class start off around 65.6K. Add in all the toys and gadgets your well over 75K.

You can do a lot of things to customize to make it your own taste. You can add aftermarket rims, tints, sound etc. You can make it to your own liking. I know others have said that we don't see a lot of GLKs on the road, personally I like that. I prefer to have a vehicle that others don't have. Before making the jump into the GLK we did try out the C and SLK as well. But after driving my G35 coupe in the winter last 4 years, we decided to get the SUV.

At the end of the day it what you really like and want to go with. Your trade in value will not be anywhere close to what you have paid for, but it really depends on your relation with your dealer. Nothing wrong in asking to find out value, or options from the dealer.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM

2010 GLK350
hopefully, i can offer some advice as i'm only 6 years older (27yrs old).

1. expect the e-coupe to cost more than today's clk350 prices as mercedes is further moving this car upmarket. you should be able to get your hands on one though either this fall or early next year.

2. i know what you mean by the family car image. it's a small suv. and small suvs make you think of budding families with their crvs and rav4s or x3s and q5s. it makes you think of carseats in the backseat, and a stroller in the cargo hold. it makes you think of grocery stores and errands for the new house. i know, i thought of that too. the thing doesn't imply an image of sportiness or litheness. it doesn't say dynamic. i, too, considered a c-class 4matic for dealing with the snow, but thought i also needed the ground clearance and the glk offered more value for the buck. but that's the thing, if you're worried about a c-class in the snow, the e-coupe (which is yet to be offered in 4matic, btw), simply will not do.

since your glk cost 61k, i assume it's pretty much loaded. IF you can get an e-coupe for 61k (which i doubt as most clks are prices 63k BEFORE tax), it'll b a stripper model. so don't expect a glk to be priced inline with the e-coupe.

i took the glk for what it is: an entry level lux suv. i was against suvs back then, but have taken a shine to this one. it handles decently, offers the luxury i wanted and gives good utility. sure it's not gonna wow the people at the bar the same way as a c350 4matic with sports package, but i don't give a damn what others will think. from the inside, the glk offers the same goods as the c--after all, they share a lot of parts. and to me, as the guy who only uses the thing when he's sitting IN it, that's the most important part. and in exchange of a sporting image, i have an outgoing, adventurous image. it's not something i put a lot of weight on, mind you. image is just that: an intangible perception that has no material value which varies from person to person and should be discarded as easily as it is made.

3. the moment you drove you car off the lot, it has lost far more value than you can wrap your head around--unless you can return it for full price for being a lemon--because it has changed from a new car, to a used one. if you choose to trade in your vehicle at such an early time, you are losing financially no matter how you slice it.

4. so far, reports indicate that it will retain a soft top, but no one knows for sure.

5. they're doing that now, but to my father's dismay, they're not pricing it low enough. and coming from a family with a w203 from which the clk is based on, i find the tech in it to be woefully outdated in comparison to my glk: the stereo isn't as good; the supposed "mp3-capable" cd changer takes forever to read mp3s; no modern COMAND interface. and quite frankly, the quality is also lower: the switches don't have the same feel to them, and there's less chrome detailing on the small things like signal stalks and window switches.

enjoy what you have got as a celebration of the choices you've made to attain it. i think proudly everything i think that i was able to get my car on my own terms, and in my own time. don't second guess yourself and do realize that at such a young age, you have a lot of choices ahead of you, and that e-coupe will be there in a couple years from now. take the time to enjoy what you have attained and do not dismiss them so easily, as there are people out there who have yet to come to where we are now. cheers.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
I am 19 and I can tell u I dont think GLK is a family car as the back seat is not that useful for family usage, and the E-coupe should be far more expensive than the GLK.
And I also don't think the CLK will drop its price too much, just see the Old E class which are still on sale right now, they didnt drop the price too much either.
So If I were u, I will stick with the GLK.
That's just my 2cent tho!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Exclamation

Hey guys,
Thanks very much for your thorough responses! As I was reading each one, I wanted to quote them and respond...then I thought I'd have to do that for all of them because you all make very good points and they all make me feel as good as I was when I took delivery! So I thought I'd just respond with 1 post..Andy..Ryan..Baby G..& everyone else..thx for explaining it!
My parents say the same thing..it doesn't have a FAMILY FAMILY feel to it b/c it's pretty small for a family (yet big enough for purchases like a flat screen TV like Andy mentioned), & it's got that sporty style to it. I just felt that way because I see some people roll their eyes when I say I got an SUV, and when I see the SLKs and CLKs on the road, I think maybe those were the cars for me (mind you I cannot afford the CLK).
As for Andy..I wish I could say I bought it myself! But my parents paid for a good chunk of it! I'm still a pre med student...so I could only pay for a fraction of it! They bought it as a "gift" for me..you probably know this..but they wanted to make one of those parent type statements (i.e. "you can make your dreams come true" & etc..:P it's because my dream since I was 4 or something was to have that 3 pointed star on my steering wheel because my mom had it & I just loved it!) They wanted to show me that I should believe in myself that I can be a doctor too (cuz it's another "dream")!! I know...corny!
Either way...some of your points show that I didn't think this through in a mature way like you guys did. Again, I appreciate it...keep your opinions coming! I could use your words of wisdom!:P
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
23 here, and I don't think GLK is your classical "family car". To me minivan is family car. I wanted to get a coupe (135,335,G37, TT-S), but then realized if i'm spending so much money on a car why not have something that will come useful. It has back seats for a few friends that can also be folded for big purchases. It has AWD to go to ski slopes or just to be to get around in blizzards.
I could have gotten one of the coupes mentioned above, and say "I wish I got SUV" every time I drive over these roads around here or if I need to fit some stuff in it etc.

On E class. Coupe is not coming out for prolly another year. You would take huge hit on trade in, which is idiotic to me. Anyways, you should be very happy to have brand new car as a 21 year old, even if it was Toyota RAV4. My friend's dad drove a car with holes in the floor when he went to medical school. You should be worried about your medical school not what other MB your parents could have gotten you. Sorry for being harsh but from this post you don't deserve a brand new car. You sound like one of those rich spoiled college kids I went to school with. Three pointed star won't make happier, it won't make girls like you more or other people respect you more, it won't make you a better doctor. It's your personality and hard work that will do for you. GLK is a great car, be thankfull to be driving one.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 PM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
23 here, and I don't think GLK is your classical "family car". To me minivan is family car. I wanted to get a coupe (135,335,G37, TT-S), but then realized if i'm spending so much money on a car why not have something that will come useful. It has back seats for a few friends that can also be folded for big purchases. It has AWD to go to ski slopes or just to be to get around in blizzards.
I could have gotten one of the coupes mentioned above, and say "I wish I got SUV" every time I drive over these roads around here or if I need to fit some stuff in it etc.

On E class. Coupe is not coming out for prolly another year. You would take huge hit on trade in, which is idiotic to me. Anyways, you should be very happy to have brand new car as a 21 year old, even if it was Toyota RAV4. My friend's dad drove a car with holes in the floor when he went to medical school. You should be worried about your medical school not what other MB your parents could have gotten you. Sorry for being harsh but from this post you don't deserve a brand new car. You sound like one of those rich spoiled college kids I went to school with. Three pointed star won't make happier, it won't make girls like you more or other people respect you more, it won't make you a better doctor. It's your personality and hard work that will do for you. GLK is a great car, be thankfull to be driving one.
I agree with you on the SUV point, but I want to address your second point, which questions my character and personality.
First of all, don't be sorry for challenging me like that. I do sound like "one of those kids" from my last post...I KNOW...& one of the reasons I felt "depressed" was because I was "not happy" with a car that cost $65K by the time it left the dealer...that did make me look like a spoiled, undeserving idiot. My dad took the bus to school throughout his life and his current car is probably worth $5K tops..so I DO realize what I have..
Believe me when I say I'm not "one of those kids"..I see them everyday at my school & classes..the ones that just drive all the way there to show off their new luxury shades, ride, watch, & etc. etc. I tell whom ever sees the car at my school that it's my parents because I don't want them to think I'm like those spoiled showoffs...also, the girls factor was NEVER a part of my decision (as like I said, I tell most people it's not my car).
Anyway, I haven't lost focus in terms of my REAL goal..that being having "Dr." in front of my name and helping improve sick people's lives..THEN I will be proud of myself.
But I don't blame you for thinking of me that way based on my original post..it didn't come out the way I wanted it to.
Cheers
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM

C35 OMG
I'm 20 and I'm deciding on either a GLK350 or E90 328xi. I understand what you mean by "family car", and of course as young people we all love them coupes. However, the way I see it, as a student that needs cargo space to being stuff back and forth between res and home, and possibly carpool friends once in a while, the COUPE is really useless.

IMHO, guys driving SUV seem more powerful. I know many girls that prefer their man to drive a SUV instead of a coupe.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 PM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I'm 20 and I'm deciding on either a GLK350 or E90 328xi. I understand what you mean by "family car", and of course as young people we all love them coupes. However, the way I see it, as a student that needs cargo space to being stuff back and forth between res and home, and possibly carpool friends once in a while, the COUPE is really useless.

IMHO, guys driving SUV seem more powerful. I know many girls that prefer their man to drive a SUV instead of a coupe.
Well said. Actually, I feel better and better about my choice every single time I get behind the wheels of my beautiful GLK! & yes..I do appreciate the cargo space now more as well, & I definitely agree with the carpooling point!
Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE Coupes & Cabriolets (Convertibles). But, it is just not practical and looks too "out of place" for me as a student right now. Maybe when I have money & can afford them myself, I'll get one of those as well (because SUVs and Coupes both have their pros and cons)! But until then, I think I made a great choice!
p.s. I also agree with the ladies factor! In fact, I've gotten a lot more compliments from my lady friends than I initially thought I would!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 PM

GLK
I thought coupe is not very trendy and popular in present and the near future. I also think the E sedan / coupe is good looking only for people over 40. If you like coupe, I would suggest the convertibles like the new IS, SLK, BMW 3 series, but there are really few convertibles that have all wheel drive. I also have remorse after yesterday's real test drive on a moutain road (the sea-to-sky hi-way in Vancouver). I have many hours of driving time for X3 and X5. I would say the best handling among these 3 is X5, then it's X3, and GLK really has no fun. It feels more like a sedan than a sporty SUV. And the comfort mode is really powerless, my right leg was pretty tire because I had to really press down on the pedal all the time. I think the comfort mode is really a winter mode, only suitable for snow and rainy conditions. I guess I will use the sport the whole time after the break-in period. But it's road handling feel that really disappoints me. For those who are still wondering to buy the GLK or not, you should ask the salesman for a long and real test drive before you make the decision. Since in real life I don't do a lot of moutain road driving, I only have a little remorse, and I have no regrets. X3's look is too old, if you like the X3, you should wait the new model.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
I was in the same predicament as yourself, sort of, not really. We were gonna get a small suv so it was gonna be GLK no matter what. It's just hard not to get tempted by just about everything once you walk into an MB showroom. Anyhow, if you're seriously planning on trading your month old car in now, you might as well walk in to the dealer with your pants down cause you're gonna get *****!
We seriously considered replacing our summer car as well, so we did actually sit down and considered the options. You can get a E coupe now in Canada, but the base 350 starts at what you paid for the GLK, tax in. On the other hand, the CLKs cost even more! That's because they are now only available in FULLY FULLY LOADED trim, and don't forget they're also already a step ahead in terms of depreciation since the E coupe is already out as a 2010.
The bottom line is, you should be very happy with what you've got (we could have afforded a G wagon, but still went with the GLK, it's just great all around), and you've got nothing to have doubts about.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM

Be the first one to offer to drive. Keep the interior and storage area totally empty. Be gracious about letting your friends pile their junk in when you go on away for a vacation or a short trip. Let sand get ground into the carpets in the summer and take your time vacuuming it out.

There's nothing like zipping by other cars with a vehicle that is fully of happy (young) people. It's easy to forgive a seamingly rich kid who shares with his friends. You can make a lot of passengers feel sophisticated with a classy vehicle like that. I'm sure your parents wanted you to have a good time with your friends, too. Lord know a lot of us were't so lucky. Enjoy!

Wish you the best with med school.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 AM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Originally Posted by ben-c
I was in the same predicament as yourself, sort of, not really. We were gonna get a small suv so it was gonna be GLK no matter what. It's just hard not to get tempted by just about everything once you walk into an MB showroom. Anyhow, if you're seriously planning on trading your month old car in now, you might as well walk in to the dealer with your pants down cause you're gonna get *****!
We seriously considered replacing our summer car as well, so we did actually sit down and considered the options. You can get a E coupe now in Canada, but the base 350 starts at what you paid for the GLK, tax in. On the other hand, the CLKs cost even more! That's because they are now only available in FULLY FULLY LOADED trim, and don't forget they're also already a step ahead in terms of depreciation since the E coupe is already out as a 2010.
The bottom line is, you should be very happy with what you've got (we could have afforded a G wagon, but still went with the GLK, it's just great all around), and you've got nothing to have doubts about.
Yes, you are right about me expecting to get abused by Benz $ wise if I want to trade it in!!!!
I am actually feeling better & better about my choice every day and your reasoning only helps!!!
Thanks! I hope you enjoy your GLK too!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 AM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by iblaho
Be the first one to offer to drive. Keep the interior and storage area totally empty. Be gracious about letting your friends pile their junk in when you go on away for a vacation or a short trip. Let sand get ground into the carpets in the summer and take your time vacuuming it out.

There's nothing like zipping by other cars with a vehicle that is fully of happy (young) people. It's easy to forgive a seamingly rich kid who shares with his friends. You can make a lot of passengers feel sophisticated with a classy vehicle like that. I'm sure your parents wanted you to have a good time with your friends, too. Lord know a lot of us were't so lucky. Enjoy!

Wish you the best with med school.
Every one of your points is reasonable and valid! I do like the fact that my friends can get in my car when no one else can take them. In fact, all of us were just spending the day together yesterday, and when it came to driving to a place to eat & going to a movie & etc, everyone "called it" (everyone was arguing with each other to get in my car rather than my other friends who were driving!) lol...They said it makes them feel "important" & "powerful"!!!hahaha...
I also appreciate your kind & wise words! Thanks for helping me realize and understand how lucky I am to have such a nice car!
Cheers