GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350: Common problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Koenig is right. How is it that the warranty company said it wasn't covered?

You need a good attorney and take them to the cleaners. Don't see how you can loose. Best of luck don't give up the GLK is a great car.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Thumbs down 2010 glk350

I have this car since 2010. Last year I have had the trasfer case fixed it was terribly leaking transmission fluid and my mileage was 24000k only. Now I have another problem at 31000k check engine light is on, the heater was set auto at 24 degrees and not blowing heat and one day the trunk or hatch back was automatically open by itself. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and now is battling winter again (November 23, 2013) this is why I said heater is a must. I'm thinking trade the car and go back to Japanese brand again since I used to owned Toyota. Is anyone have the same problem.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM

GLK 350
Replaced Transmission with 140K Km

I just replaced my transmission (luckly I talked my way into no cost) two months ago, it will cost around $7,000. Right now I have three things to fix - warning night on Thermostats (timing is off), passenger door lock malfunction, would not lock all doors when in motion. Not sure the last two is related.

Mine was the first delivery of GLK back in 2009.

Anyone have these problems?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I have a 2010 GLK that was made in Oct of 2008 that I bought the week after the car was introduced in Jan of 2009. I have 55000 miles and no such problems. Routine maintenance has been my friend.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MKenM
I have a 2010 GLK that was made in Oct of 2008 that I bought the week after the car was introduced in Jan of 2009. I have 55000 miles and no such problems. Routine maintenance has been my friend.
no leaky transfer case? Have you done your tranny service yet? That's when they noticed mine has a leak. See my post not too long ago.
I have early 2009 build.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 PM

Had mine done at 40K no signs at that time and my garage floor is bone dry so far.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MKenM
Had mine done at 40K no signs at that time and my garage floor is bone dry so far.
My floor is bone dry, too. There is a cross member and tray that will catch any leakage. My leak is more like sippage from what I could tell...was hard to tell since there was some oil from the tranny service. Will check in couple of weeks. What I heard is that TC uses oil from the tranny so there is plenty of oil.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I've only had a few niggling problems. The windshield urethane molding at the top was loose causing wind noise. The windshield was also white "fogging" in the lower corners - really weird.
The hill holder feature seems to hold for 2 seconds then releases. Another weird thing. Anyone else have this?
I read Consumer Reports carefully before buying (used) my '10 GLK350 4Matic and they seemed to like it. It was recommended in the '10 model year and rates as Average and not "Worse" or "Much Worse". Many MB's rate far worse. We need to remember that all us posters are giving anecdotal experiences and you can't rate a car from this. The thousands that aren't on this forum or have no problems aren't weighing in here.
All in all, this is my 8th Mercedes and I find it to be fairly trouble free and a joy to drive. In the '90's Mercedes experimented with bio-degradable wiring insulation and it was a disaster with the wiring degrading from heat. The W124's (I had a '93 E320) engine harness would have insulation that hardened and broke off regularly. That was a nightmare in an otherwise very fun to drive trouble-free car.
Maybe it's the made in Bremen quality, but I am very pleased. One thing in the back of my mind is the intake manifold. It has little plastic arms (why, oh why plastic?) that move shutters to change the runners and they are prone to breaking in the 272 engine. My mechanic designed a kit with metal parts to replace these if they fail.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 AM

1983 W123 Euro 280E
Originally Posted by reyoasian
2010 MB GLK350 4MATIC

If you own one or know about it, what are some common problems that occur?

I know this model is new so it's really hard to say in the long run, but so far have you guys had any issues with the car?

My main concern is long-term reliability, because I've heard rumours that ever since MB was bought off by Chrysler, reliability has become a common issue with MB cars. Now that Chrysler is bankrupt, maybe they're trying to cut down cost on the MB? Who knows..

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Hertz has the GLK 350 and GL 450 as part of it's rental fleet. I rented the 2013 GLK350 for a couple of weeks. It had 15350miles on it and I put 2000 on it. Superb vehicle, I could not fault the quality, fit & finish. The drivetrain and performance was excellent and highway fuel economy was pleasing. I did a couple of 7-8 hr stints and arrived feeling relaxed and refreshed.
btw; no rattles or squeaks anywhere.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Hill Holder feature

Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I've only had a few niggling problems. The windshield urethane molding at the top was loose causing wind noise. The windshield was also white "fogging" in the lower corners - really weird.
The hill holder feature seems to hold for 2 seconds then releases. Another weird thing. Anyone else have this?
I read Consumer Reports carefully before buying (used) my '10 GLK350 4Matic and they seemed to like it. It was recommended in the '10 model year and rates as Average and not "Worse" or "Much Worse". Many MB's rate far worse. We need to remember that all us posters are giving anecdotal experiences and you can't rate a car from this. The thousands that aren't on this forum or have no problems aren't weighing in here.
All in all, this is my 8th Mercedes and I find it to be fairly trouble free and a joy to drive. In the '90's Mercedes experimented with bio-degradable wiring insulation and it was a disaster with the wiring degrading from heat. The W124's (I had a '93 E320) engine harness would have insulation that hardened and broke off regularly. That was a nightmare in an otherwise very fun to drive trouble-free car.
Maybe it's the made in Bremen quality, but I am very pleased. One thing in the back of my mind is the intake manifold. It has little plastic arms (why, oh why plastic?) that move shutters to change the runners and they are prone to breaking in the 272 engine. My mechanic designed a kit with metal parts to replace these if they fail.
Your hill holder is working correctly. It is only meant to hold 1-2 seconds and then release. You need to use the "HOLD" feature for longer durations.. These are 2 completely different features. Ck your owners manual.

Last edited by greasykid; 05-11-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:28 PM

GLK350
GLK 350 bought in Dec 2010 has transmission problem

I got my 4th service done at our Mercedes Dealer in December and was told that everything is in great shape as usual. I did not have any trouble with the car before that. 15 days after the service (January 1st week), some check engine light (not sure what it is called actually) came on and I took it to the dealership and they said it was some thing minor (will cost about 500$) and fixed it for free as we are good customers and that we only got out of warranty less than 2 weeks before that.

Towards late January, I started hearing some noise coming from engine when driving. The noise increases proportionally to speed. The noise may have started immediately after the service appointment but I did not notice it with the car stereo and the heater fan noise. It is very audible when both of them are off. I believe it took me longer to notice this problem because of the other noises.

We finally took it to the dealer again today and we are told that there is a transmission problem and it will cost us $9500.

It has come as a shock to me that we would run in to such a problem with in 4 years of buying the car. We are not even done with the car payments and I am concerned that we will start seeing other issues once this is fixed. How can a 50000$ Mercedes car have a transmission problem with in 4 years? It has only 25000 miles on it.

Wanted to check if any one hit this kind of problem or if anyone has any recommendations?

Is it better to get this fixed and sell it to the dealer or get it fixed and keep it? Is there any we can get the dealer/Mercedes to pay for this?

Our 4 year warranty ended only on Dec 22nd 2014.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:24 PM

GLC 300 4matic
I remember a few years back having some transmission issues too but luckily it was covered under warranty, so I didn't dig into it too much. You might want to get a second opinion by a mechanic you can trust or one that specializes in MBs. IMO its not worth it to fix if its going to cost you 10g's.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by swapnab
I got my 4th service done at our Mercedes Dealer in December and was told that everything is in great shape as usual. I did not have any trouble with the car before that. 15 days after the service (January 1st week), some check engine light (not sure what it is called actually) came on and I took it to the dealership and they said it was some thing minor (will cost about 500$) and fixed it for free as we are good customers and that we only got out of warranty less than 2 weeks before that.

Towards late January, I started hearing some noise coming from engine when driving. The noise increases proportionally to speed. The noise may have started immediately after the service appointment but I did not notice it with the car stereo and the heater fan noise. It is very audible when both of them are off. I believe it took me longer to notice this problem because of the other noises.

We finally took it to the dealer again today and we are told that there is a transmission problem and it will cost us $9500.

It has come as a shock to me that we would run in to such a problem with in 4 years of buying the car. We are not even done with the car payments and I am concerned that we will start seeing other issues once this is fixed. How can a 50000$ Mercedes car have a transmission problem with in 4 years? It has only 25000 miles on it.

Wanted to check if any one hit this kind of problem or if anyone has any recommendations?

Is it better to get this fixed and sell it to the dealer or get it fixed and keep it? Is there any we can get the dealer/Mercedes to pay for this?

Our 4 year warranty ended only on Dec 22nd 2014.
Sorry to hear.... I'm going to assume you have a 2010 GLK 4matic. Many early model GLKs have experienced the 4matic transfer case bleeding oil out from warn drive seals, leading to catastrophic transfer case & transmission damage. Your vehicle is out of warranty... My suggestion to you is twofold. 1st: Find an INDEPENDENT mechanic who knows his MB cars. He, or you, can purchase a used tranny/transfer case for approx $2500. (See www.car-part.com) I'm guessing a good Independent can replace purchased used tranny for $1200>1500, and he will make $$ doing it!!! Your Dealer knows your 'bagged' and is trying to make the most of it. When repaired, you then will have to make the decision on whether to sell, or keep.
2nd: The other thought is to bargain with the dealer(or another dealer), trading for a newer vehicle, knowing that it will cost him maybe $2000 at best to repair yours....
I, personally, would never set foot in that dealership again.... $9500 is beyond comprehension. Do a search... most dealership repairs of that nature are about $5000>$7500. still outrageous, but $9500 OMG!
good luck...
Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM

GLK350
Thanks for your responses. I will definitely consider your advice. Can you tell me how I can find an independent mechanic knowledgeable about these things? Also I am concerned about the lifetime of a used transmission given a new one gave me this issue. I like the second option.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
@swapnab. So convenient that this transmission problem showed up less than a month after your last service and after your warranty period, especially when they said everything was fine. Would they cover it if you buy a 3 year extended warranty now? Good luck.

I had the transmission leak about a year after I bought it.

At my 4th service I had the windshield re-installed/replaced because they said it was the cause of the excessive moisture build up on the inside of the windshield. Apparently it had moved and was creating a gap. They fixed it under the 4 year warranty.

Scared me enough that I bought a 3 year extended warranty. It covers transmission only for 2 years though.

Other than the above and squeaky brakes and chattering wiper blades it was a fun car.

After 30,000 km I just traded it for a Macan.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
@swapnab. So convenient that this transmission problem showed up less than a month after your last service and after your warranty period, especially when they said everything was fine. Would they cover it if you buy a 3 year extended warranty now? Good luck.

I had the transmission leak about a year after I bought it.

At my 4th service I had the windshield re-installed/replaced because they said it was the cause of the excessive moisture build up on the inside of the windshield. Apparently it had moved and was creating a gap. They fixed it under the 4 year warranty.

Scared me enough that I bought a 3 year extended warranty. It covers transmission only for 2 years though.

Other than the above and squeaky brakes and chattering wiper blades it was a fun car.

After 30,000 km I just traded it for a Macan.
Where is it stated that the MB extended warranty only covers 2 years? Or is this a difference in Canadian vs US? Or is this not a MB extended warranty?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM

GLK350
Good news

Yesterday the dealer called me and informed me that he wrote a letter to Mercedes and they agreed to cover the transmission. It is unbelievable but I am just thankful.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

2010 GLk 350
Tires or Bearing???

New to the forum, I have a 2010 GLK 350 - took it to MB to get Service A done, when I got the car and driving home, at 40 mph, I noticed a loud noise, I thought it was the engine of the big Ford 350 truck in front of me. Disregarded it. Drove it the next day, and the noise was back and noticed that it picks up when speed picks up. I called dealer, they checked it, they said it was when they rotated the tires that the front tires (that were in the rear) should even out.

I drove to DC this weekend (3 hour drive), and man, that noise was so loud, it's almost like a flat. I wonder if its the bearing?

I love my GLK but everytime I drop it off to the dealer for service, it comes back with an issue, 1st one was the driver window, wouldnt auto roll up and once it is fully up, it goes back down an inch or 2 and you will have to roll it up again. Brought it back 2x (they kept telling me to reset, which didnt work), so I brought it back again, turns out, all the rivets etc in the door panel was gone (bought a Certified MB at an MB dealer). So I told my serv mgr should I contact the dealer I bought it from? he said to me, nah, because once warranty hears that we worked on this they will charge you, but I bought the MB Certified warranty and that should be covered. Sigh...

Anyone experience the tire noise is or is that bearing noise?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Are you sure the wheels are on tight? How many miles on the vehicle? CPO should work at any dealer, as long as you are still covered. What dealer said "Nah"? 3 hours to Washington, North, South or West? In the Philly area there are multiple dealers, so if one gives you the run-around there are others who are interested in making repeat customers.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
If you are in doubt about what your CPO covers---READ the CPO document,
Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Our 2011 had only one initial issue on delivery, a broken plastic sunroof lifter arm and then over the course of four years, three cracked wiper fluid bottles. All taken care of under warranty. Conclusion: MB had issues with plastic parts for awhile. The current wiper fluid bottle has been in for two years, so far so good.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 GLK with 83k miles and normally jerks when i'm about to apply my brake and its been going on for about 2 months, Can anyone recommend what i need to do to get this corrected ASAP?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM

1998 ML 320
Exclamation Excessive heat in the dash?

I've checked the net and on this board, however, suspect the search parameters for this problem would lead me to "overheating" which the vehicle is NOT doing.

The suspect SUV!: 2010 GLK350 4MATIC w/105,000 miles on her. This is my wife's vehicle and she uses it mostly on the highway going to and from Virginia to Fort Knox ky approx 1300 round trip and I have to say of all the MB she has owned THIS one has been the least trouble BY FAR. Virtually no issues in 40k+ miles. since she has had it. Regular maintenance is key.

The PROBLEM: That said, something has recently shown it's ugly head. She said that the center console while driving with the heat on gets VERY hot. So much so today that the nav screen shut down for 30 seconds. So she shut the center blower off (yes it works) and once it cooled came back on. My experience with this type of thing is that the overheating fail-safe shut that down until it was cool.

She said that the screen is quite hot to the touch as well when this is going on.

She then redirects the heat to the floor blowers and there is no heating issues anywhere in the truck.

Anyone had or know of this issue before?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GLK 220 cdi
Originally Posted by recruiting
The PROBLEM: That said, something has recently shown it's ugly head. She said that the center console while driving with the heat on gets VERY hot. So much so today that the nav screen shut down for 30 seconds. So she shut the center blower off (yes it works) and once it cooled came back on. My experience with this type of thing is that the overheating fail-safe shut that down until it was cool.

She said that the screen is quite hot to the touch as well when this is going on.

She then redirects the heat to the floor blowers and there is no heating issues anywhere in the truck.

Anyone had or know of this issue before?

Thanks!
There is fan behind the screen/dashboard, check if it works, it is there for cooling the audio system...you can even hear it when you shut off the engine, it goes off few minutes after...see the picture below (number 120)
you can check the part number on 7zap.com

Old 12-23-2018, 01:20 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
door handle panel squeek.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK350: Common problems?