GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Manual Tailgate - Open from Inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350
Manual Tailgate - Open from Inside

I was wondering if there is a way to open the truck from inside. I checked on the SmartKey, but I only have three buttons, lock, unlock and Panic. I also looked inside (driver side door - as mentioned in the owners book), but did not find a button to open the truck.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM

GLK (white,PP,MM,Xenon,20's,ipod)
Originally Posted by Miric
I was wondering if there is a way to open the truck from inside. I checked on the SmartKey, but I only have three buttons, lock, unlock and Panic. I also looked inside (driver side door - as mentioned in the owners book), but did not find a button to open the truck.
Yes, there is a switch on the drivers door, just above the storage bin on the door...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by aussie_expat
Yes, there is a switch on the drivers door, just above the storage bin on the door...
i think he doesn't have the power tailgate so he might not have that button
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM

2010 GLK 350
Correct - I don't have the power tailgate.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'd check the manual. If there is something inside to open the trunk, it'd be in the manual.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM

GLK 350
Correct - I don't have the power tailgate.
Most SUVs without the powertailgate usually don't have anything to open the rear hatch from the inside. Just a quick question, why do you need to open the rear door from the inside, just wondering...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM

2010 GLK 350
I guest it could be nice when you got your hands full (grocery bags or others) that somebody from inside could open the tailgate…
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I guest it could be nice when you got your hands full (grocery bags or others) that somebody from inside could open the tailgate…
or that somebody can thake their butt off the seat and help you incluiding opening the trunk for you

I could open trunk from inside on my first car and it was good because the trunk didn't have the handle to pull (had to use the key). Next car was a hatch with and I didn't even realize untill this post that it was missing the interior handle to pull.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Has anyone had trouble with the power tailgate? Sometimes when I try to open back using the key, it opens about two inches and then closes again. I then have to open it manually, and it feels like I'm forcing it open. Something obviously isn't quite right. Anyone else had similar issues?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by SLfanDC
Has anyone had trouble with the power tailgate? Sometimes when I try to open back using the key, it opens about two inches and then closes again. I then have to open it manually, and it feels like I'm forcing it open. Something obviously isn't quite right. Anyone else had similar issues?
yep a few people reported this including myself. I noticed that if I hold the button pushed longer it opens most of the times, also giving it a second or third try also works.

Since this is kind of on and off issue I don't want ot drive to the dealer just for this (my time is more valuable).

Another thing I have is that I can't close tailgate with inside button (open yes, but close - no), again I use the remote or the button on the trunk so not a big deal for me.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
yep a few people reported this including myself. I noticed that if I hold the button pushed longer it opens most of the times, also giving it a second or third try also works.

Since this is kind of on and off issue I don't want ot drive to the dealer just for this (my time is more valuable).

Another thing I have is that I can't close tailgate with inside button (open yes, but close - no), again I use the remote or the button on the trunk so not a big deal for me.
Thanks. Glad to know I'm not alone on this issue.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM

GLK
Mine so far has worked fine with the button on the driver's door and the remote.

But when standing outside and pulling the lever on the trunk / tailgate, it starts to engage and then stops. A second try makes it open. This is only occasionally so not a big deal. As NYCGLK said, not worth a trip to the dealer but if it becomes more frequent or other related problems come up, I will take it in.

Our old M-class did the 2 inches open and then close close thing but again it was not very often and no other issues popped up with it in the 2 years we had it - the tailgate seemed pretty reliable overall.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'm thinking that this might have to do something with autostop function. Since it's even more sensitive on GLK, maybe if those hydraulic legs are a bit to stiff (for whatever reason) and create just enough resistance for the trunk to stop opening and close back. Just a guess.

This still doesn’t explain why interior button doesn’t close my tailgate tho.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 PM

2010 GLK350 4matic Blk w/Beige Artico/Wlnt. PP,SP,MMI,C-Nav,Xenon,AlumBoards+20's,Tow Hitch,
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I'm thinking that this might have to do something with autostop function. Since it's even more sensitive on GLK, maybe if those hydraulic legs are a bit to stiff (for whatever reason) and create just enough resistance for the trunk to stop opening and close back. Just a guess.

This still doesn’t explain why interior button doesn’t close my tailgate tho.

GLK includes a safety stop on the (Auto) rear door. Purpose is to prevent smacking low garage doors, or in my case, the trailer hitch Bike rack I added after from RACK-ATTACK (really cool add-on). Anyway, the controller for that is on the key fob, so you may have triggered it accidentally. Check the Drivers manual on how to reset before you consider it a defect.

Also, my Sales rep assured me, that all MB's come with a rip cord for internal trunk opening. He lied. Maybe the GLK doesnt get this, because it has an internally slidable back vanity shelf. My recommendation is make sure the bodies aren't breathing before you load them in the boot. That way, you wont need to worry about this feature. Oh and by boot, i think it means trunk.

Last edited by B-alan-ce; 07-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM

2010 GLK350 4matic Blk w/Beige Artico/Wlnt. PP,SP,MMI,C-Nav,Xenon,AlumBoards+20's,Tow Hitch,
OK, 5 months in and my rear door lever is fighting me back. If I just touch it once, it auto lifts up over a 5 second period. But sometimes, I need faster access so I try to open it manually with a continuous pull and lift action and 50% of the time, I end up in a tug of war with the damned door handle. Anyone got any simple solutions?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
faster access? what are you robbing a bank? j/k. press the button sooner, i can open mine from maybe 50' away. i was the first one on the site to have the power tailgate issue. in the first month i had my glk in went back to the dealer 3 times. they had to replace the motor. i bought the showroom model and my guess is the motor went from people pulling it open to frequently. i now request a certain girl at the car spa that dries my car, cause she knows not to pull the tailgate.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by veerodder
faster access? what are you robbing a bank? j/k. press the button sooner, i can open mine from maybe 50' away. i was the first one on the site to have the power tailgate issue. in the first month i had my glk in went back to the dealer 3 times. they had to replace the motor. i bought the showroom model and my guess is the motor went from people pulling it open to frequently. i now request a certain girl at the car spa that dries my car, cause she knows not to pull the tailgate.
My Bank robbin days are over, now it's the banks who are the crooks.

But i should have clarified my scenario. Lets say you are in traffic, and stuck at a red light and you need to quickly run out to the back of your car and open the boot (trunk) by actually pulling the handle so that you can smack the tied up villain in the back of your car for making too much noise. Your key is still in the ignition and you cant use the door panel boot release cos your still smoking Magnum 45 is blocking the way. Plus, if you could just auto flip the button with that slow release, the yobo might escape. So you just want to get out there, pop open the boot with your own hand, knuckle-wrap the dude a couple of times and then shut it again. But the door just stalls on you. That's the issue I am dealing with.

OK, so maybe it's a teddy bear and not a gun, and maybe its a pacifier instead of some Mafioso. But when your child is missing his GaGa that he just lunged into the rear of the car and you are on a mission to stop him from screaming. And you just quit smoking that same month. What do you do, oh the pressure.

Anyway, was just wondering if there is a technique to opening the back of the car via the plastic handle so u can choose when to auto and when to manually raise it.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
hmmmmmm. interesting!!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:07 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by B-alan-ce
My Bank robbin days are over, now it's the banks who are the crooks.

But i should have clarified my scenario. Lets say you are in traffic, and stuck at a red light and you need to quickly run out to the back of your car and open the boot (trunk) by actually pulling the handle so that you can smack the tied up villain in the back of your car for making too much noise. Your key is still in the ignition and you cant use the door panel boot release cos your still smoking Magnum 45 is blocking the way. Plus, if you could just auto flip the button with that slow release, the yobo might escape. So you just want to get out there, pop open the boot with your own hand, knuckle-wrap the dude a couple of times and then shut it again. But the door just stalls on you. That's the issue I am dealing with.
When did MB start providing the vehicles for Quentin Tarantino movies?

What you really want is an old Dodge with a trunk the size of Maine.