GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Swap entire headlight housing with Xenon Housings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 01:16 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Swap entire headlight housing with Xenon Housings

This is a pretty technical question I know. But maybe someone has already investigated this option? Maybe not? But I regress....

I am not one to simply add a Xenon kit (bulbs and ballasts only) to my new GLK because the Halogen Projectors are different from the Xenon. Also I would want the Adaptive and Cornering lights as well.

Are the ballasts attached to the housings? In other words is everything one would need attached to the entire housing for Xenon's?

I know this would cost a lot of money from the dealer but I might be able to find a wrecked GLK with Xenon housings and swap the halogen housings with the Xenon's? I know a few wreckers around here that buy junked Mercedes and would happily give me a deal on some housings. All I have to do is ask them to call me when one comes in.

I really wish the GLK I bought had the lighting package. But I got such a good deal on the car that I didn't have much choice. I only paid 32K for a 2010 GLK with 5K miles. Can't get everything you want sometimes.

But a Mercedes without Xenon's just seems to me.
Old 10-22-2009 | 01:23 PM

2010 GLK 350
I have looked at this option as well, but the answer I got is that the voltage is different on Xenon Headlights. Therefore, it involve more than just replacing the housing.
Old 10-22-2009 | 01:33 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Man. I am like 10 minutes from just going back there and trading this one for one with all the options. Pay the difference. Feel silly driving a stripped MB.

Just ticks me off! I knew it would to. But when your in the middle of a deal your not thinking about all of these options.
Old 10-22-2009 | 02:00 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I was like you and got a good deal on the car that met most of my wants but now regret I didn't just get it fully loaded. I just bought a HID kit online and just had my halogens replaced today and they seem to work just fine. My only issue is the low beam lights are yellowish in comparison and I want to replace them with a whiter bulb but it is so hard to get to them to replace that I may have to go back to the dealer just to find out what kind of bulb it is. I may also have to have them install it.
Old 10-22-2009 | 02:08 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
In response to the first reply to this post. I am wondering if changing the service menu "Xenon's Present" changes the voltage to the lamp housings?

Need the service manual with diagrams to go further with this option I guess. Or someone that works on these cars and knows.
Old 10-22-2009 | 02:16 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by gdepau
I was like you and got a good deal on the car that met most of my wants but now regret I didn't just get it fully loaded.
I figured there were others out there like me. Some deals are to difficult to pass up. Of course, we all want the toys. But for me, honestly, I realize it was smarter save the cash and remember were still driving a Benz. That's much more than many others in this world can ever get or may ever even have. Also, I just posted regarding feeling a little gypped not getting the auto wipers also. That was until another member put me in my place regarding the difference in cost between US and CAN.

Its all about making the compromise. Probably both of us know we still made the right choice though.

Thanks for sharing my selfish pain!
Old 10-22-2009 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
In response to the first reply to this post. I am wondering if changing the service menu "Xenon's Present" changes the voltage to the lamp housings?

Need the service manual with diagrams to go further with this option I guess. Or someone that works on these cars and knows.

I know what you’re thinking… “I wish I had the Factory Bi-Xenons”. Forget it… you’ll need new wiring harnesses, new headlight housings, install new ballasts, etc etc. Huge cash outlay.

The setting is for the correct voltage but to the ballast, not to the housing itself. You should explore after market retrofit units from Hella, etc.

http://www.carid.com/mercedes-xenon-hid/
Old 10-22-2009 | 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Just put the xenon bulbs and ballasts. It still comes with lens not old reflector type setup. Many members here got the xenon kits and were pretty happy with it.

Yea you are not getting swivel function, but as you said, can't have everything you want.
Old 10-23-2009 | 08:57 AM

2010 GLK 350
I'm wondering if you can do the same thing with the tail lights, and replace them with the OEM LED taillamps ?
Old 10-23-2009 | 10:12 AM

GLK 4Matic
This vehicle was supposed to be my wife's no regret vehicle. She was supposed to get exactly what she wanted but it didn't turn out this way because the launch cars were outfitted a certain way. We just didn't want to wait for an ordered vehicle so we settled for a more upscale model on the lot. My grandmother taught me to get what I wanted or close to it so I wouldn't regret it. Didn't happen this time, darn it!
Old 10-23-2009 | 11:26 AM

GLK350
Smile

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Just put the xenon bulbs and ballasts. It still comes with lens not old reflector type setup. Many members here got the xenon kits and were pretty happy with it.

Yea you are not getting swivel function, but as you said, can't have everything you want.

I am still try to figure out if the beam pattern (or focus) on those retrofit is close to the actual Xenon comes installed on the GLK350? I just want to get a better view on the end result before switching over to xenon bulbs and ballasts. Not sure if someone can point me to the right thread on this.
Old 10-23-2009 | 12:44 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by austinglk350
I am still try to figure out if the beam pattern (or focus) on those retrofit is close to the actual Xenon comes installed on the GLK350? I just want to get a better view on the end result before switching over to xenon bulbs and ballasts. Not sure if someone can point me to the right thread on this.
Yes this would be very helpful info. Are the Hlalogen Projectors really different from the Xenon. I found a picture of the headlight assembly and found it interesting that on the back of the housing are the numbers: H7/D2S. I can't find that picture right now but will look again for it. Does this mean it takes both? I know the Acura MDX projectors are the same. Maybe alot of manufacturers are going this way to save the cost of having two different parts?
Old 10-23-2009 | 01:09 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
I found that picture I was talking baout above.

It is an EBay item. Halogen housing. But look on the back of the housing. DS1/H7

Why would it have that?
Attached Thumbnails Swap entire headlight housing with Xenon Housings-312818844_o.jpg   Swap entire headlight housing with Xenon Housings-312818894_o.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009 | 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Here you go

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...on-my-glk.html
Old 10-24-2009 | 01:42 AM

2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I got my GLK way back in the olden days in March 09 :-). They had a limited choice in options you could get this but not that, in the end to get a GLK that was close to my wish list I got suff like the running boards and at the time the Xenon lighting system. I have not lived through a winter with the running boards but I have to say the Lighting system is very sweet. The LEDs in the rear are very bright and do compensate for the fact that they are not YELLOW (This should be Law). The swiveling light is very hard to detect on regular driving only on dark roads do you see the self leveling and swivel in action. The thing that I think is so cool about the lighting is this side turn lighting which lights up the corner ground you are signaling or turning into. People on the sidewalks and others notice it right away its a real asset on dark unlit roads. I think the lighting was like $1000 Can$ so I know that on here there were threads about sub $400 HID systems. To make a long story short get it if you are into these tech.
Old 11-10-2009 | 08:07 PM

2010 MB GLK 350
Is there a better way to install the HID plug and play H7 kit? I mean the pin is a ***** to put on with one hand. You can't see the clip latching on tight. I had to tape the light on so it would stay put in the socket. Why can MB just make a simple twist on HID bulb like the H11? The install is a total *****. After cursing and a case of beer later. I had to put back the gay yellow OEM H7 bulb. Does anyone have a better DYI ideas? Love to hear it!!!