GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Squeky Breaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Wow, this is a huge issue! I am having the same problem on the wife's GLK. Had taken it in once b4 to address the squeeky brakes but the SA's said the tech's couldn't reproduce the problem!! BS, it was squeeking all the time and they couldn't reproduce it??

Took it in a 2nd time, for the same problem... This time, they told my wife to wash the brakes?! Uh oh...bad. We take our $50K + car to get serviced and you tell my wife how to fix it!!!??

Finally made a call to the Service Mgr... Car came in again, Service Mgr took a ride in it with my wife and well, it squeeled like a pig!!

They took apart the brakes, lubed it and scrubbed it this time. The squeek was gone for a day! Its not as bad now but its still there... Maybe its the weather and salt/sand getting in em??

Sux to turn heads cuz your brakes are squeeling and not cuz you drive a nice car....
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
I think everyone should write to their National MB customer lines. MB is really good with taking care of their customers I am sure they will do something about it.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
I have a full invoice of the service under warranty they did to replace my brake pads, I'll pull it and try to extract some information for you guys.

As for the experience it was pretty simple. Brakes started squealing, I took it in, foreman confirmed squealing during ride-along and they were swapped. Free car detailing and I'm on my way after a day of leaving it at the Service Depot. No more squeals or squeaks so far.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
So last night I'm slowing down to stop at a red light and the brakes are squealing like a ****... I come to a complete stop and I still hear squealing... I'm like WTF and my wife says "oh that's from the car pulling up next to us".
I look over to my right and... what do-ya know... another GLK!! No ****!

I almost pissed my pants!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
LOL!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:44 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
hahaha. I am getting this fixed this week. I hope they won't give me lip since I will not be happy at all.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM

2010 GLK 350/2009 Lincoln MKX
Good, the more people that go in for this will greatly assist in others getting it fixed without problem.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:57 PM

glk
GUYS look here...

I have just confirmed with MB dealer in Toronto...about these breaks.

IN CANADA,

Merc provide a free break replace for the first 2 years or 40k. Your salesman should have told you all these extra information when you guys were doing the "training".

If you replace the brakes now...you dun't get the replacement...
The dealer here is certainly aware of the break problem...and this is not only for GLK...MB is shifting to a new material so that the brake dust won't floating into the air.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S Edition 1, 1995 Ferrari F355, 2004 Mini Cooper JCW MC 40, 1967 MGB
Brakes replaced today

I had not seen this thread til tonight. Reason I was even checking is that when I got my car back from service, the tech commented that my brakes had been replaced. Both front and back.

History, last few months brakes were squealing. Car has 12,000 K's on it. In service date of April 30th, 2009.

So I finally got around to taking it in to Mercedes Durham, in Whitby, ON, Canada. And then I get this work order. Good news is that it was replaced free of charge.

Now I see this thread.

Here are the replacment part numbers from my work order:

Front
211-421-14-12 Brake Disc (2)
005-420-63-20 Brake Lining (1)
211-540-17-17 Sender Unit (1)
001-989-94-51 Brake Paste (2)

Rear
211-423-09-12 Brake Disc (2)
005-420-51-20 Brake Lining (1)
211-540-17-17 Sender Unit (1)
001-989-94-51 Brake Paste (2)

Hope this is helpful, or at least for the Canadian owners.

I love this car. Never get bored of it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
what kind of mercedes dealer is giving toyota's as loaners? that's horrible. my dealer gives c-classes!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
veerrdder,

they are probably a MB/Toyota dealership.
I have seen one in the U.S. and looks kinda

Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
this is great news. I will make sure to mention this when I drop my car off. Last time I got a B class for a loaner hahaha.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM

Yea, Richmond BC just has too much traffic going through and they don't have enough cars to accomodate all the loaners needed. Most popular models like the C, GLK, E classes are backordered, so unless you drive an S-Class you probably won't be getting an outstanding loaner here.

People living in Vancouver should be able to understand what I'm talking about.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM

GLK 350
So I emailed MB Canada about this issue:

Servicing Dealership: Hyatt Auto Gallery

Comment or Question: Hello,

I am writing this email in regards to the problem that many of us GLK owners seem to be having.

At around 2k kms on the vehicle, the brakes seem to be squeaking unimaginably loud. Now I understand these are new brakes and need to also be "worked in" but even now at almost 4k kms on the GLK, the squeak is still there.

There is whole internet thread about this problem where many GLK are also complaining about the same issue. Some Service centers have had to replace the brakes on some GLK's which I'm sure you guys have seen the bills for. While some service centers, (like mine) turn don't even take a second to look at the issue (this is a whole other story).

Here is a link to one of the threads online I am speaking of:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class/323009-squeky-breaks.html

I have taken in my GLK 3 times to have this issue addressed and fixed. The first time, I was told the techs could not reproduce this symptom. I find that comment very annoying as the brakes were always squeaking while I have driven the car. My wife who had taken the GLK in for service took the vehicle home regardless. Booked the GLK in for a 2nd visit for the same problem. Again, was told they could not reproduce the squeak, and told my wife to power wash the brakes herself to remedy this. Wait a minute, we have taken our vehicle to be serviced and you are telling my wife how to fix the problem? Not very good service. Not only till I called and spoke directly to the Service Manager himself did the tech's look into the problem in better detail. Finally the service manager had taken a test drive in the vehicle with my wife to hear the problem himself. So on the 3rd visit, the problem was fixed. Or so we thought.

The service order shows the work they did to try and remedy the problem, which I am happy with. But only after 1 day, the squeak was back from the brakes. My wife and I being reasonable people, think the squeak maybe caused by the cold weather we have been having so have let it slide till warmer weather comes about. But still, I am not satisfied with purchasing such an expensive vehicle having such an annoying problem. Should warm weather not come around in the next few weeks, I will likely return to the service department asking for a new remedy.

Please, if this seems to be a nationwide issue, have something done like a recall on the brakes and have them replaced with something else. I know I am not the only one with this problem, and I have not had a problem like this with the previous 3 BMW's I have owned.

Regards,

Chris

Their response:

Re: 2010 GLK350
VIN - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. I:

Thank you for your email.

We were sorry to learn of the brake noise that you have been experiencing with your GLK350. Brake sound or squeal is often believed to be a symptom of defective, but this is not always the case. Due to environmental concerns, Mercedes-Benz has eliminated the use of asbestos in its products. As a substitute, we have adopted semi-metallic brake pads, which offer excellent performance. However, because of the metal-to-metal contact involving semi-metallic pads, the sounds generated by the brake system under normal operation can be greater than vehicles equipped with the previous asbestos linings.

Depending upon the local environment, weather conditions, and individual driving patterns, sounds from the braking system may be more or less apparent. Brake squeal or squeak may occur with cold brakes (especially morning) and/or high humidity. As well, a grinding sound is common to rear brake assemblies during the first few stops (such as after the vehicle has been parked overnight). It is caused by trace corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use or storage. This light corrosion is typically cleared from the metal surfaces after a few stops, causing the sound to be less prevalent. Although we realize that brake squeal can be annoying, it does not present a risk to the safety or performance of your braking system. This sound, which is common to many cars, cannot be permanently eliminated.

However, we recommend that you contact the dealership again if you find that the noise has become excessive. We have also taken the liberty of forwarding the matter to the service manager at Hyatt Auto Gallery, Mr. Bruce Urich.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Regards,

Karen Thomas-Lyttle
Customer Relations Officer
Mercedes-Benz Canada/
smart Division Canada
98 Vanderhoof Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G4C9
Direct Line: 416-847-7398
Toll Free: 1-800-387-0100

My Response to that!!!

Hello Karen,

Thank you for the reply.

If you look up our service records, you will see that we have brought in the vehicle 3 times for the same issue. At the momment, I do not have the records in front of me but we have taken it in during warmer weather and Calgary is about 1000ft in altitude so I the humidity is little to none. These climate issues are not the factors affecting the excessive noise.

Also, the vehicle now has 4k kms on it. I have braked aggressively to remove the "film" on the brakes in hopes to be rid of the noise but to no avail. I could see this being a problem when I first drove home the car, but not after 4k kms logged on to it. Imagine yourself driving in the middle of rush hour traffic in the GTA. The noise can be heard for blocks, and pedestrians walking by cringe and stare.

If you are telling me to "suck it up" in so many more words, this is definitely unacceptable. I did not move from owning a BMW that was pretty much problem free to be embarassed by driving behind the wheel of a $52k Mercedes Benz. I do expect much more from Mercedes. If Mercedes Benz is happy with giving customers leather upholstered squeek mobiles, then I have switched to the wrong manufacturer.

If you are willing to help a customer, I am more then willing to bring the car back for service. Should the brakes need to be replaced with ones of less metallic content or perhaps the brakes on it now are indeed out of manufacturing specs, then please replace them.

I have owned 3 BMW's in the past and never had been embarassed to drive them at all, as I am with the Mercedes Benz GLK.

Please forward this to someone who can address me and my wife's concerns.

Regards

Chris I

And this is where we are now:

VIN - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. I:

Thank you for acknowledging our response to your email.

We have again contacted the service manager for Hyatt Auto Gallery, Mr. Bruce Unich regarding the issue you raised. He informed us that he is working with the Technical Team at our Head Office regarding the brake noise concern and will be contacting you shortly for further inspection of your vehicle.

Regards,

Karen Thomas-Lyttle
Mercedes-Benz Canada/
smart Division Canada
98 Vanderhoof Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G4C9

Feel free to email this lady about the same issue...

Funny thing, was driving around last nite too at the mall. Heard some squeeky brakes...kept walking and saw, it was a brand new C350 making all the noise!!!!! I knew exactly how he felt...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by topher91
So I emailed MB Canada about this issue:

Servicing Dealership: Hyatt Auto Gallery

Comment or Question: Hello,

I am writing this email in regards to the problem that many of us GLK owners seem to be having.

At around 2k kms on the vehicle, the brakes seem to be squeaking unimaginably loud. Now I understand these are new brakes and need to also be "worked in" but even now at almost 4k kms on the GLK, the squeak is still there.

There is whole internet thread about this problem where many GLK are also complaining about the same issue. Some Service centers have had to replace the brakes on some GLK's which I'm sure you guys have seen the bills for. While some service centers, (like mine) turn don't even take a second to look at the issue (this is a whole other story).

Here is a link to one of the threads online I am speaking of:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class/323009-squeky-breaks.html

I have taken in my GLK 3 times to have this issue addressed and fixed. The first time, I was told the techs could not reproduce this symptom. I find that comment very annoying as the brakes were always squeaking while I have driven the car. My wife who had taken the GLK in for service took the vehicle home regardless. Booked the GLK in for a 2nd visit for the same problem. Again, was told they could not reproduce the squeak, and told my wife to power wash the brakes herself to remedy this. Wait a minute, we have taken our vehicle to be serviced and you are telling my wife how to fix the problem? Not very good service. Not only till I called and spoke directly to the Service Manager himself did the tech's look into the problem in better detail. Finally the service manager had taken a test drive in the vehicle with my wife to hear the problem himself. So on the 3rd visit, the problem was fixed. Or so we thought.

The service order shows the work they did to try and remedy the problem, which I am happy with. But only after 1 day, the squeak was back from the brakes. My wife and I being reasonable people, think the squeak maybe caused by the cold weather we have been having so have let it slide till warmer weather comes about. But still, I am not satisfied with purchasing such an expensive vehicle having such an annoying problem. Should warm weather not come around in the next few weeks, I will likely return to the service department asking for a new remedy.

Please, if this seems to be a nationwide issue, have something done like a recall on the brakes and have them replaced with something else. I know I am not the only one with this problem, and I have not had a problem like this with the previous 3 BMW's I have owned.

Regards,

Chris

Their response:

VIN - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. I:

Thank you for your email.

We were sorry to learn of the brake noise that you have been experiencing with your GLK350. Brake sound or squeal is often believed to be a symptom of defective, but this is not always the case. Due to environmental concerns, Mercedes-Benz has eliminated the use of asbestos in its products. As a substitute, we have adopted semi-metallic brake pads, which offer excellent performance. However, because of the metal-to-metal contact involving semi-metallic pads, the sounds generated by the brake system under normal operation can be greater than vehicles equipped with the previous asbestos linings.

Depending upon the local environment, weather conditions, and individual driving patterns, sounds from the braking system may be more or less apparent. Brake squeal or squeak may occur with cold brakes (especially morning) and/or high humidity. As well, a grinding sound is common to rear brake assemblies during the first few stops (such as after the vehicle has been parked overnight). It is caused by trace corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use or storage. This light corrosion is typically cleared from the metal surfaces after a few stops, causing the sound to be less prevalent. Although we realize that brake squeal can be annoying, it does not present a risk to the safety or performance of your braking system. This sound, which is common to many cars, cannot be permanently eliminated.

However, we recommend that you contact the dealership again if you find that the noise has become excessive. We have also taken the liberty of forwarding the matter to the service manager at Hyatt Auto Gallery, Mr. Bruce Urich.

Regards,

Karen Thomas-Lyttle
Mercedes-Benz Canada/
smart Division Canada
98 Vanderhoof Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G4C9

My Response to that!!!

Hello Karen,

Thank you for the reply.

If you look up our service records, you will see that we have brought in the vehicle 3 times for the same issue. At the momment, I do not have the records in front of me but we have taken it in during warmer weather and Calgary is about 1000ft in altitude so I the humidity is little to none. These climate issues are not the factors affecting the excessive noise.

Also, the vehicle now has 4k kms on it. I have braked aggressively to remove the "film" on the brakes in hopes to be rid of the noise but to no avail. I could see this being a problem when I first drove home the car, but not after 4k kms logged on to it. Imagine yourself driving in the middle of rush hour traffic in the GTA. The noise can be heard for blocks, and pedestrians walking by cringe and stare.

If you are telling me to "suck it up" in so many more words, this is definitely unacceptable. I did not move from owning a BMW that was pretty much problem free to be embarassed by driving behind the wheel of a $52k Mercedes Benz. I do expect much more from Mercedes. If Mercedes Benz is happy with giving customers leather upholstered squeek mobiles, then I have switched to the wrong manufacturer.

If you are willing to help a customer, I am more then willing to bring the car back for service. Should the brakes need to be replaced with ones of less metallic content or perhaps the brakes on it now are indeed out of manufacturing specs, then please replace them.

I have owned 3 BMW's in the past and never had been embarassed to drive them at all, as I am with the Mercedes Benz GLK.

Please forward this to someone who can address me and my wife's concerns.

Regards

Chris I

And this is where we are now:

VIN - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. I:

Thank you for acknowledging our response to your email.

We have again contacted the service manager for Hyatt Auto Gallery, Mr. Bruce Unich regarding the issue you raised. He informed us that he is working with the Technical Team at our Head Office regarding the brake noise concern and will be contacting you shortly for further inspection of your vehicle.

Regards,

Karen Thomas-Lyttle
Mercedes-Benz Canada/
smart Division Canada
98 Vanderhoof Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G4C9

Feel free to email this lady about the same issue...

Funny thing, was driving around last nite too at the mall. Heard some squeeky brakes...kept walking and saw, it was a brand new C350 making all the noise!!!!! I knew exactly how he felt...
Good job! Let us know when you hear back. I had mine serviced yesterday and the squealing is gone... for now. If it comes back I will certainly send her an email. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Got another appointment tomorrow but just emailed MBUSA with the issue as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Damn you guys are troopers, seems like I made off easy as I got my pads replaced no hassles first time.
Good luck to all your squeaky endeavors everyone!!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Kamen
Damn you guys are troopers, seems like I made off easy as I got my pads replaced no hassles first time.
Good luck to all your squeaky endeavors everyone!!
Kamen.... please look at your service report for the part numbers on the new pads your dealer installed. Post that part number here for all to see. If it's not on your report, please call your service rep and get the numbers.... IT'S IMPORTANT.... thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 PM

I'm looking at the invoice now.

FRONT:

BRAKE PADS ON FRONT AXLE REMOVE/INSTALL
477 W 0.40
1 005-420-63-20 BRAKE LINING
1 211-540-17-17 SENDER UNIT
2 001-989-94-51 BRAKE PASTE

1425 CONFIRMED COMPLAINT OF NOISY BRAKES, TRACED SQUEAKY NOISE TO FRONT BRAKE PADS. 477-RE&I FRONT WHEELS-REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS DUE TO NOISE-CHAMFER BRAKE PADS-TEST DRIVE VEHICLE--OLD PADS AT90%, 9MM-DISCS 31.8MM SPEC 30MM--

REAR:

480 W 0.60
1 005-420-51-20 BRAKE LINING
1 211-540-17-17 SENDER UNIT
2 001-989-94-51 BRAKE PASTE

1421 CONFIRMED COMPLAINT OF NOISY REAR BRAKES WHEN REVERSING. TRACED NOISE TO REAR BRAKE PADSRE/I REAR WHEELS, REPLACED NOISY BRAKE PADS. BRAKE PADS THICKNESS=85%/8.5MM,REAR BRAKE ROTORS=19.4MM.

This is word for word off my invoice, parts and labor all at 0.00 covered under warranty. Hope this helps guys.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Kamen, this is great! Now all on this thread who have noisy brakes, cross reference the brake lining numbers Kamen posted above with the brake pads that are in your car. Simply call your dealer, ask for the parts dept., give them your name, your car model and year, ask for the std. front and rear brake pad part numbers and see if they match up. If not, and your brakes do squeal, you may want to get a set of these instead.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Just dropped car off for brake pad replacement. Got a C class for a loaner. Not to get off topic but this loaner stays in sport mode after every re-start. GLK doesn't do that. I will be sure to cross reference invoice so you all can see what my SA noted on the report.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Dropped of my car today for squeky breaks. Mentioned about this problem and asked them to contact MB Canada. They are suppose to call me back with what they are going to be doing.

Got a B class for a loaner. I don't know how I feel about this car yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I've had the problem happen a couple of times. I am going to make my own 2 piece rotors and see what happens
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I've had the problem happen a couple of times. I am going to make my own 2 piece rotors and see what happens

And how do you plan to do this?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by MBRedux
And how do you plan to do this?
Where is the funny part in what I said?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeky Breaks