GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Squeky Breaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Squeky Breaks

Hey. My GLK has less then 2k on her and I am getting squeaking sound when I am lightly pressing on the breaks to slow down. Did anyone else got this? What did you do? I will call dealership tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM

GLK 350
I had this issue, took it in, and they serviced them... Much better and no more noise...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I have this every now and then. It seems to do it some days then it goes away on its own. I guess its all that break dust that the front produces, it sounds like its the front breaks making the sound.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Squeky Breaks = Squeaky Brakes?

If you are only getting squeals when the brakes are cold and/or damp or a thin film of rust has formed on the rotors after washing or the vehicle hasn't been driven for awhile, I'd say it's no cause for worry (other than the annoyance).

M-B seems to have struck a good balance with their semi-metallic pads...reasonably long life with good stopping power while being relatively quiet. But if the sound is too obnoxious, the dealer can place a thin layer of silicone compound on the brake pads to reduce the the semi-metallic pad squeal.

Or it's available at auto parts stores for DIY'ers.

One last note, if your driving style seldom stresses your brakes, a couple aggressive stops can "de-glaze" the brake pads and help reduce the squealing noise for a while.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Squeky Breaks = Squeaky Brakes?

If you are only getting squeals when the brakes are cold and/or damp or a thin film of rust has formed on the rotors after washing or the vehicle hasn't been driven for awhile, I'd say it's no cause for worry (other than the annoyance).

M-B seems to have struck a good balance with their semi-metallic pads...reasonably long life with good stopping power while being relatively quiet. But if the sound is too obnoxious, the dealer can place a thin layer of silicone compound on the brake pads to reduce the the semi-metallic pad squeal.

Or it's available at auto parts stores for DIY'ers.

One last note, if your driving style seldom stresses your brakes, a couple aggressive stops can "de-glaze" the brake pads and help reduce the squealing noise for a while.
This is a good idea for some cars but not all cars, especially this Benz. The passenger side brake pads on these GLK's are direct wired and "anti-squeal" applications can be messy if not applied correctly between the back side of the pad and the caliper.

I would suggest the same attitude as MB-Owner has... a little squeal is normal... I would leave well enough alone... but if it bugs you and you are a true "do it yourselfer", buy a "brake-pad silencing kit" instead of the silicone goop.

These kits consist of a "Teflon" coated shim that snaps onto the rear of the brake pad and acts a lubricator thus eliminating or minimizing pad noise.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by MBRedux
The passenger side brake pads on these GLK's are direct wired...
Thanks for that clarification. I was curious what sort of an approach was used to keep the brake pads dry during inclement weather since the M-B literature makes a point of noting that the brake pads periodically lightly contact the rotors so max braking capability is always available.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Sorry for the late update. I took the car to MB dealership. They told me that my breakpads needed to be broken in. They also told me that they have treated it.

After that the squeal was gone. But now it is back again. I didn't expect this from a brand new (has less than 2k) MB car. It doesn't do it when I do relatively hard breaking. It is only when I break lightly.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Nissan Murano
Same here!

After 1000km smooth ride, my brand new shining GLK has embarrassed myself big time with the squeaking break noise on the road, during the traffic slowdown, everyone to look around and see where is that squeaking noise came from, and only found that from the newest car on the road, and it is MB, LoL.

Took it back to dealer two times, and the noise is gone, so nothing he could do about it except give me a nice car wash, but the noise came back.

As everyone said, Service adviser think it caused by brake dust.

If the break need to be break-in, so how long would it be for the break-in period?

Does anyone experience this and passed the break-in period that actually make the sound go away?

Last edited by lulumomo; 11-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by lulumomo
Same here!

After 1000km smooth ride, my brand new shining GLK has embarrassed myself big time with the squeaking break noise on the road, during the traffic slowdown, everyone to look around and see where is that squeaking noise came from, and only found that from the newest car on the road, and it is MB, LoL.

Took it back to dealer two times, and the noise is gone, so nothing he could do about it except give me a nice car wash, but the noise came back.

As everyone said, Service adviser think it caused by brake dust.

If the break need to be break-in, so how long would it be for the break-in period?

Does anyone experience this and passed the break-in period that actually make the sound go away?
I am curious, do you have the sport packet with the 20" wheels? The double 5 spoke wheels?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Nissan Murano
Originally Posted by Duke_on
I am curious, do you have the sport packet with the 20" wheels? The double 5 spoke wheels?
Yes, I have it. Sport Pkg w/ 20" double spoke wheels. Are you having the same?

Wonder this is a common symptom for the sport pkg.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:20 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic

Yeah I have the same. Hmmm interesting. I will contact he MB dealership again. They are going to hate me but oh well
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350

I have the sport package 20 inch wheel and no squeeks here,knock wood.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:24 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
I have the sport package 20 inch wheel and no squeeks here,knock wood.
what is the milage on your car? Also do you have the twin 5 spoke wheels or the other one?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
what is the milage on your car? Also do you have the twin 5 spoke wheels or the other one?
I have about 800 km and the 5 spoke wheels.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Nissan Murano
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
I have about 800 km and the 5 spoke wheels.
Mine did not start until around 1100 km.

Still very interested to see anyone can confirm that break-in period theory.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic - Calcite White
Mine is at 12,000km and I have the stock 19" rims/tires. I get the squeak. Very embarrassing, but it doesn't always happen.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
If I am spending over 55k on a car, I don't want any sequels
Old 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
If I am spending over 55k on a car, I don't want any sequels
55K.... man... ours is fully loaded (except for leather) and we paid way more than 12K less out the door.

These days, noisy brakes develope as a result of driver habits... such as riding the brakes, hard stops at every light, and driving through very deep dirty water when hot... also keeping the car outdoors can rust brake components.... sometimes driving away with the parking brake on can make that system very hot which can cause noises even after it's released... all kinds of things cause noisy brakes... rarely is it the manufacturer's fault these days.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Actually several manufacturers have developed TSBs to deal with the issue.
Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Infiniti,and yes Mercedes Benz, that I am aware of.
Probably not on the GLK (yet) but I know there are TSBs for the C220 model and the SLK350.

After perfecting the disc brakes over the years.....the Gummint stepped in and said no more asbestos.......and that caused some problems having to do with sympathetic frequencies.
Sympathetic frequencies are when there is a vibration and other parts will then also vibrate at that same frequency. It can get well beyond what people think of when you say "squeal" and become a very loud SHRIEK!

It is tough to fix, because the cause can be so varied.

The Nissan Muarno TSB called for new (and different part #) brake pads.
That's what MOST TSBs cover, though some attempt toc lean the pads and Chamfer the leading edge, and sometimes both edges, of the pads.
It worked for me. And my shriek was so loud you could easily hear it a half mile away!
It not only was annoying, it was embarrassing. Everybody had told me that when I got rid of my Town and Country, I should buy a "perfect" Flawless Japanese car.
Riiiiiight.

So, you could be tempted to say that the pads were "defective"....
But maybe not.
They also changed out anti squeal pieces, springs, clamos, etc.....
And sometimes it is just the unhappy marriage of good parts that are "sympathetic" to each other.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's right Red, there have been many cases in our race cars with incompatible pads-to-disc... but we worry more about stopping efficiency rather than noise. But the same would also apply to the street cars. Silencing shims are easier to swap out in most cases... but as the disc ages, the steel loses some of its hardness... so depending on the material composition of the new pad, it could resonate as the pad "digs in" so to say.... producing frequencies that can cause other components to resonate.... the “sympathetic frequency” phenomenon you refer to.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
I don't what the deal is. My breaks are squeaking again. I love everything about this car but this annoying little glitch is making me insane. ARGGGGGGGGGGGG
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
[quote=MBRedux;3814854]55K.... man... ours is fully loaded (except for leather) and we paid way more than 12K less out the door.
quote]

Sorry for being here but what did you mean by this comment?

If I interpret it literally it would mean that you paid about the same price (you paid WAY MORE than 12K LESS)... But I believe you are suggesting that you paid almost 13K less than $55K, rather. Correct?

Are you telling us that you bought a fully loaded GLK for less than the base model MSRP?? In Canada??
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Wink Easy JT01

[quote=JT01;3822382]
55K.... man... ours is fully loaded (except for leather) and we paid way more than 12K less out the door.
quote]

If I interpret it literally it would mean that you paid about the same price (you paid WAY MORE than 12K LESS)... But I believe you are suggesting that you paid almost 13K less than $55K, rather. Correct?

Are you telling us that you bought a fully loaded GLK for less than the base model MSRP?? In Canada??
JT01,
Potomac, Maryland is in USA. If you check MBUSA pricing, of course they are much lower than us

...my 2 cents..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
[QUOTE=mr.mbenz;3823057]
Originally Posted by JT01

JT01,
Potomac, Maryland is in USA. If you check MBUSA pricing, of course they are much lower than us

...my 2 cents..

Yeah... knew that. I forgot to look at the profile of who was posting.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[quote=JT01;3822382]
quote]

Yes, and if I told you what we paid in $USA, it would kill you... $44,978.00 out the door with taxes, tags and all related fees... see I told you so.... ... but what's the exchange rate these days?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeky Breaks