GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Follow UP: Whistling sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350/2009 Lincoln MKX
Follow UP: Whistling sound

So on the way home from getting my car back, (brake pad replacement) I noticed that damn whistling sound again. I turned right back around and went to my SA to let him listen to the noise. As we past 45 mph there it was. My SA immediately turned the A/C on and instantly knew it had something to do with the A/C or Heat being on or off. Whenever the air system is not in use, something to do with the blowers or vents is allowing air to come into the cabin. The whistling sound is extremely annoying (his words.) Anyway, he said he doesn't have a fix yet because this is the first they have heard of it from the GLK but to email MBUSA again as a back-up even though he will call me back soon to let me know what the fix will be. Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the issue. For now, if you are noticing the same thing, just turn the air or heat on to make it go away.

Chris
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Yup... it's a stuck air damper... a big job on a Benz if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Yup... it's a stuck air damper... a big job on a Benz if I'm not mistaken.
Could you explain that more? I don't know how hard a fix this is. I also called MBUSA and informed them of the issue as well. They are supposed to be calling me back today. Given the circumstances, is there any way to get a free service out of this. I just got the GLK and have less than 1,000 miles yet it seems like I will have to be without the car again if they find a fix for this. I didn't buy a GLK to drive a C class.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Air dampers are internal air duct *rudders* in a way... they direct air to different parts of the car via small air pipes (ducts) throughout the dash.... The air enters the external vents at the base of the windshield, and these dampers are electronically controlled to redirect the air (after it has been conditioned by cold or hot) to the places you wish. If one or more of these duct dampers sticks open a little... it can cause a whistle as you drive, as air is forced through the gap...

It should be fully covered under warranty but it may mean your entire dash will need to be removed.... if this is the case, check for severe rattles after getting the car back.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Air dampers are internal air duct *rudders* in a way... they direct air to different parts of the car via small air pipes (ducts) throughout the dash.... The air enters the external vents at the base of the windshield, and these dampers are electronically controlled to redirect the air (after it has been conditioned by cold or hot) to the places you wish. If one or more of these duct dampers sticks open a little... it can cause a whistle as you drive, as air is forced through the gap...

It should be fully covered under warranty but it may mean your entire dash will need to be removed.... if this is the case, check for severe rattles after getting the car back.

Good luck.
Thanks...MBUSA called me back regarding this issue this morning. They were very polite and apologetic throughout. They asked how they could make this right by me, aside from fixing the car. I didn't know what to ask for and told the rep I would think about it. What exactly am I entitled to? I know some things I want but not sure what I'm qualified to ask for. I did mentioned that was pissed considering I bought a GKL to drive a GLK, not a sedan. We shall see as I have to drop it back off on the 29th.

What should I be asking for? I don't know how far they will go to keep me satisfied as I just bought the car less than a month ago.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by doctorres112
What should I be asking for? I don't know how far they will go to keep me satisfied as I just bought the car less than a month ago.

mmmmmmmmmmm... let's see..... nothing. I never take advantage of these offers... they take note of those who look for handouts... it's a flag on your record.... I save my "little handout favors" until such time it's really needed.... but that's just me.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:20 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm... let's see..... nothing. I never take advantage of these offers... they take note of those who look for handouts... it's a flag on your record.... I save my "little handout favors" until such time it's really needed.... but that's just me.
Good point, I did mention a free first service and seemed more than willing to accept that request. Either way, won't know much until next week some time.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 AM

Mercedes Benz GLK-350

Good luck.

Hi MBRedux,

Thanks for your explanation on the whistling sound. I have wind noise in my GLK and it starts after 55kmph. Could it be the same reason?

The service station which took my vehicle for almost a week and returned it back to me said that the rear door alignment job was complete. (Rear door allignment, according to them was needed to stop the wind noise leakage)

Unfortunately the noise still persists. I intend to take the vehicle back to the garage but before which I was hoping you'd be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks In Advance
Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G*L*K
The service station which took my vehicle for almost a week and returned it back to me said that the rear door alignment job was complete. (Rear door allignment, according to them was needed to stop the wind noise leakage)Unfortunately the noise still persists. I intend to take the vehicle back to the garage but before which I was hoping you'd be able to shed some light on the subject. Thanks In Advance
Rear door alignment! Really? Well it could be the same problem as above but you need to first locate the exact area where the wind noise is coming from. Have a passenger ride with you and look for it. It could be windows or doors, but Benz's have dual seals everywhere... so I doubt it.... Play with the heater controls to see if you can make the noise appear or stop. Open each window slightly in turn to see if it makes the noise appear or stop. Try the sunroof too... Once home, open each door and check the black rubber seals on each door as well as around the door opening of the car for damage where air could whistle through.... etc etc.... once detected... what ever it is, then have it fixed. In some cases like this, there could be dozens of reasons for the same issue and the ownwr must properly dx the cause before it can be repaired finally. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM

My car is going in tomorrow now that we have identified it has something to do with the air system. As stated above, see about driving without the air or heat system on and then on. That is what is causing my whistling noise.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Got car back 2 days ago, said they electronically reconfigured the blowers etc.. The noise was back in a few hours. I called the SA again, he said he would call back after the holidays. I am getting upset now as it will inevitably have to stay for more than a few days or so. He mentioned that if they can't fix it MB may have to buy the car back and get me a new one. Of course, that is the worst case scenario. Either way I'm kinda at my limit with this. This will be the third time I have dropped it off in just over 35 days.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
How did this get resolved??????