GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Pot Hole in Bklyn NY destroyed 2 Pirelli Tires!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Angry Pot Hole in Bklyn NY destroyed 2 Pirelli Tires!

So driving yesterday, and a rock kicks up in front of me and chips my windshield. Was from a guy in front of me, before I can even react, I slammed right into a giant pot hole. Both tires on the drivers side are completly destroyed, with the front RiM getting bent! Suspension is out of whack, and yes the windshield is chipped. Pirelli scorpions didn't stand a chance. Love driving in NYC during the winter!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM

GLK 350
Best of luck.

Makes me feel better about buying tire and rim insurance.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Makes me feel better about leaving Brooklyn when I was 7 years old........

You have my sympathy tho.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
So driving yesterday, and a rock kicks up in front of me and chips my windshield. Was from a guy in front of me, before I can even react, I slammed right into a giant pot hole. Both tires on the drivers side are completly destroyed, with the front RiM getting bent! Suspension is out of whack, and yes the windshield is chipped. Pirelli scorpions didn't stand a chance. Love driving in NYC during the winter!

Where in Brooklyn?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Can you file suit against the city in small claims court to re-cover the damages? After all they were negligent in failing to maintain the road surface.

Bish
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
get some pixs taken very fast, 'cuz once the city repairs it, you are out of luck. Here in Vancouver, I had a similar incident where the rain had washed out a lot of many of fresh sealed manholes.
My previous vehicle tire came out of whack and also put a large scrap, just enough that I had to replace the tire for safety and new alignment was needed. $$
I went to city hall after reading an article how some motorists caught up with some 'compensation' by the city due all of these 'open' manholes. By the time I went back next day after reading article to take a pix, the patch work was done.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Pot Hole was on 65th street in Bklyn, and yup I took Pics! But it take about 3 years to get any money back from this city. So we'll see how it goes!

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I'm from NYC... born in Queens, lived in Manh, (west side) then Park-Slope Brooklyn... I once lost all my tires on Flatbush Ave.... not from potholes but from idiot ConEd guys who left pole-tacks all over the street.... cars were swerving every which way....

I contacted the City.... I contacted ConEd.... I contacted the Gov..... NOTHING! I filed an insurance claim... paid my deductable... they paid the rest... policy went through the roof.... gotta love it.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Thanks guys! I tell ya, drivin in BK has become so bad as of late, same with Queens. It's like the roads are just destroyed everywhere, especially with the salt they use to melt the snow. I've had so many vehicles over the years and never ran into a problem like this. Well anyway, ya live and learn. Nex car or truck gets the rim/tire insurance. My dealer pointed me in a direction to get after marker insurance for the rims/tires, and it works just about the same as the one they offered. Will run me about $700, will do in the next few days. As for now, 2 brand new 20'in tires ran me $730, mounted and balanced, no damage to the rim he said, thank god, thought it was bent, they say all good and I see no physical damage at all. Windshield was replaced through insurance cause I have glass coverage. So all in all, all ok right now. The lesson is, be very careful, and DO GET THE INSURANCE!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Sorry to hear (read) about this, $h!t happens as they say. So is suspension fine at least? That's great if it is.

I'm going to brooklyn today, will watch out for potholes. I did get tire/rim/glass insurance tho.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Was supossed to pick up my GLK this morning to have it in time for new years and the weekend. That was until I recieved a phone call saying that the parts department ordered the wrong wind shield for my truck, and that I won't be able to have it back until late Monday! To say the least I am Friggin Pissed. This truck was there since early early Monday morning. Also to add to this BS adventure, I don't even have an MB loan a car! This is a real first for me to hear what they had to tell me- They said my insurrance company, which is Geico does not cover a loaner that is a Mercedes. WTF is that! I have a Mercedes, how can they not cover it! And that I have to use a loaner through Enterprise, which they have on site. So I have a Honda Accord until my truck is done. Nothing against Honda, but i'd like a Benz for the time being. This is BS to me, I've owned a Porsche from the same dealership, and the Porsche service dept would always give me a Porsche when they took my truck for service. Going to really talk to there service manager when i pick my truck up on Monday!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
i also have geico, but i still drove my glk with the cracked windshield. i had to wait weeks, because safelite auto glass had to order a new windshield directly for MB. i'm assuming you took your car to the dealer for the rim repairs? was the windshield that damaged that you couldn't drive it with the crack?, instead of having a rental?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM

2016 C450 AMG
What happen was- My truck was flatbedded to the dealership on Monday! Mainly because of the 2 destroyed tires, however the truck needed to get there regardless because of the windshield, and a few other problems that I was needing repairs on. Namely the rear hatch not working right, and the cup holder chrome chipping off. The windshield was just part of the pot hole episode, and was fairly drivable if not for the wrecked tires.

What happen with the windshield is this, when u bring it the dealer, Geico pays u, after u pay the dealership, within 3-5 days after u submit the bill. If u go to a glass shop or a 3rd party, u pay nothing! The glass shop picks up the bill, and they wait for the insurance company to pay them, same with safe lite. And they can use an OEM windshield! My fear was it not getting done correctly, so I went through the dealership. And have no problem paying it and getting the money back. The dealership messed up, because they ordered the wrong windshield. So my gripe is really with them, and the fact that there telling me my insurance comp does not cover a Benz loaner... BS in my book!

Last edited by Sean76NYC; 12-31-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
yeah that kinda sucks! but if your car is there for a covered warrenty repair, they should give you a loaner?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM

2016 C450 AMG
So, it's Monday! Did not get a phone call from the service rep, had to call them. Which by the way was at 1pm. As per the Rep, they were installing the windshield as we spoke, and the truck should be good to go by no later then 4/4:30! Well, Well, Well, it's 5:30 and I did not receive as much as a phone call as to whats going on. If the truck is not ready, call me and let me know whats up, this is going on 8 days now! This stuff takes 2/3 days max to handle. Not to mention I didn't have my truck for New Years. Last time I ever deal with Ray Catena in Edison NJ, And I mean the last time!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
that sux, hopefully it'll be done soon. Ordering tires from tirerack and putting them on at a local shop takes 2-3 days max, 8 days is f'ed up.

Too bad two tires were killed, could've had donut and have car till tire arrives and then go to local shop.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM

528i, GLK
dude, I feel for you, hope all worked out for you by now, thx for the warning on Ray dealership... I have choices of either catena, prestige, or MB mahanttan.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by webada
dude, I feel for you, hope all worked out for you by now, thx for the warning on Ray dealership... I have choices of either catena, prestige, or MB mahanttan.
Thanks, all workin out now! As for what dealership, I would stay far away from Ray Catena. Check out Benzel Bush if ur out in NJ!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
Thanks, all workin out now! As for what dealership, I would stay far away from Ray Catena. Check out Benzel Bush if ur out in NJ!
That's where I got my GLK from. I thought they were real good. I dealt with young guy named Luis, who was really good.