GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

considering a GLK, some questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
considering a GLK, some questions....

Hello folks

As the thread title implies, I am considering a GLK as my next vehicle. I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, how is the drivers seat for long distance comfort? I drive around 30,000 miles a year, and am obviously concerned about driver comfort. Anybody done a long 6 or 7 hour drive in the leather (if it matters) drivers seat?

Just how bad is highway gas mileage? Anybody consistantly seeing above the rated 21 (4matic) mpg?

I have never had a car that has onboard navigation. Has anyone driven in a large city (Seattle, San Francisco) that can give me an idea of how good the system is at retaining a satellite signal? I am just curious if its better than a portable Garmin.

Thanks for your help!
Michael
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK (white,PP,MM,Xenon,20's,ipod)
Originally Posted by pb12
Hello folks

As the thread title implies, I am considering a GLK as my next vehicle. I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, how is the drivers seat for long distance comfort? I drive around 30,000 miles a year, and am obviously concerned about driver comfort. Anybody done a long 6 or 7 hour drive in the leather (if it matters) drivers seat?

Just how bad is highway gas mileage? Anybody consistantly seeing above the rated 21 (4matic) mpg?

I have never had a car that has onboard navigation. Has anyone driven in a large city (Seattle, San Francisco) that can give me an idea of how good the system is at retaining a satellite signal? I am just curious if its better than a portable Garmin.

Thanks for your help!
Michael
In answer to your questions:

Just did a 5 hour trip yesterday, the seats were quite comfortable. I would put them better than the BMW X3.

In terms of mileage I managed 22.1 mpg on average speed of 68...too much traffic to really open it up for any decent period.

I just drove to Seattle and didn't have any problems driving around last night with the navigation. This the first car that I have owned with in car navigation, I actually prefer it to the portable Garmin I have (now used for business trips). I like the way it is integrated to the sound system so that music is muted while instructions are given. Also the voice control is actually quite good and is particularly good for when you are on the move. My one complaint is that it doesn't speak street names.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Was your 22.1 measured or just the computer readout?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks Aussie much appreciated. One more question. Can you mute the navigation instructions, but have it still play music? I like the ability to just show the instructions, but not have them spoken if, say I am on the phone.

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
Thanks Aussie much appreciated. One more question. Can you mute the navigation instructions, but have it still play music? I like the ability to just show the instructions, but not have them spoken if, say I am on the phone.

Thanks again.

Michael
Yes, you can control the volume of the instructions independantly from the music and you can tell her to shut up if you want to and still listen to music.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM

thanks Andy -

One more question. can you detour by road? In other words, can I specifically say, avoid a particular road (I-5 for example) in an itinerary?

Thanks again
Michael
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Hello folks

As the thread title implies, I am considering a GLK as my next vehicle. I have a couple of questions though. (OKAY)

Firstly, how is the drivers seat for long distance comfort? I drive around 30,000 miles a year, and am obviously concerned about driver comfort. Anybody done a long 6 or 7 hour drive in the leather (if it matters) drivers seat? (THE SEATS IN MY OPINION ARE NOT MEANT FOR LONG HAULS... DEPENDING ON YOUR SIZE, THESE SEATS CAN BE A LITTLE SMALL IN WIDTH WHICH CAN MAKE LONG INTERSTATE DRIVING A BIT TIRING... MOST LIKELY THESE SEATS, AND THE CAR WAS MEANT AS A CITY COMMUTER.)

Just how bad is highway gas mileage? Anybody consistantly seeing above the rated 21 (4matic) mpg? (YES EVERY NOW AND THEN WE GET ABOVE 21MPG BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF DRIVER YOU ARE... THE TYPE OF FUEL USED AND IF YOU ARE DRIVING INTO A HEAD WIND OR NOT. AGAIN, THIS BOX IS NOT VERY AERODYNAMIC AND THE 3.5L ENGINE IS KNOWN TO SUCK GAS DOWN LIKE A THIRSTY LOGGER... THERE ARE BETTER BOXES IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GOOD FUEL MILEAGE WITH MORE COMFORT.)

I have never had a car that has onboard navigation. Has anyone driven in a large city (Seattle, San Francisco) that can give me an idea of how good the system is at retaining a satellite signal? I am just curious if its better than a portable Garmin. (I DO NOT LIKE THE BENZ NAVI SYSTEM.... IT IS VERY GOOD AT RETAINING THE SAT. SIGNAL, BUT I DO NOT LIKE HOW BRIGHT IT IS AT NIGHT, THAT IT DOES NOT INDICATE ALL STREET NAMES, AND IT DOESN'T ZOOM IN ENOUGH. I PREFER MY NISSAN NAVI SYSTEM OR STICK WITH YOUR GARMIN.)
Thanks for your help!
Michael

REPONSES IN BOLD ABOVE
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM

GLK (white,PP,MM,Xenon,20's,ipod)
Originally Posted by RedRover
Was your 22.1 measured or just the computer readout?
Computer readout.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
have my new baby for a few days now...and the Navigation is incredible in Vancouver, BC. The dial allows you to see as far as Alaska, Toronto, California? Yeah, the screen is bright and clear. Once my VIM is installed, I can then watch video in motion if needed.

The seats are comfortable if your medium in size. They have many adjustments including lumbar, and spinal support. I luv it!

If you're a heavy footer, then the GLK is not for you. Remember, this is a 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive class vehicle. Most others in the same configuration is about +/- 2-3 mpg difference. This is very subtle, considering the overall engineering of MB is super!