Questions before I purchase...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Questions before I purchase...

Hello,

I am just about to purchase the GLK here in Toronto, Canada and I have few questions:

1) I am getting the navigation system. Does it speak street names? How is the routing?

I have been searching for the manual for the navigation system online. I haven't been able to find a link. Anyone find one?

2) Do the side mirrors automatically fold in when you turn off the engine? Is that part of a package?

Cheers
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM

C63
I am not sure about the first questions, but I do know the 2nd. The mirrors auto fold in when you press lock on your key fob. When you press unlock, you have to open the door handle, then the mirrors will go back to the original position. This is standard in all Canadian models.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Doesn't say street names, it says distance before turn and that's where it gets annoying. It would say "turn left...in 800 feet" so as you driving you think you should turn right away and then hear "in 800 feet". It should say "in 800 feet turn left" instead.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
I have UMI and it gives certain street names but only route numbers. Example turn right on SR 820.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Doesn't say street names, it says distance before turn and that's where it gets annoying. It would say "turn left...in 800 feet" so as you driving you think you should turn right away and then hear "in 800 feet". It should say "in 800 feet turn left" instead.
Totally agree. I found even MB navi maybe on par with garmin in terms of functionality, they are not as user friendly. My other complaint was to see the street name, you have to zoom in all the way and still too small to read.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Good information. The Nav system is something that I was considering leaving out as I consider ordering a GLK. There seem to be more complaints than compliments. I'll just keep using the Garmin - and I can move it from car to car. I'm still on the fence between GLK and ML. Definitely two different vehicles, but I keep waffling back and forth.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM

GLK 350
Your Answers:

1) NYCGLK posts answers the first one on the buzzer. Give you distance before turning

2) Mirros fold once you arm (Activate Alarm) the vehicle. Its a feature which must be turned on in settings.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM

GLK 2010
Originally Posted by karburn
Good information. The Nav system is something that I was considering leaving out as I consider ordering a GLK. There seem to be more complaints than compliments. I'll just keep using the Garmin - and I can move it from car to car. I'm still on the fence between GLK and ML. Definitely two different vehicles, but I keep waffling back and forth.
We have the UMI Nav system. It works fine, but I agree with other posters that the functionality needs some improvement. You get used to some things, but it should be better.

I have also noticed that I cannot get the radio to go silent when a Nav instruction is provided. Perhaps there is a setting I am missing, but I believe other integrated systems have such a feature. I would think that is supposed to be one of the benefits of having an integrated solution.

I have looked for information on map updates, which I hoped might address some of these issues in a new release, but so far, there is only radio silence.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by karburn
Navi is still great. My friend who always praised Lexus/Toyota navi was impressed with new MB Navi, esp. how well it understands adresses when you speak to it, extremely useful when you are driving. And I didn't even train it. Also state is automatically selected depending on what state you are in.

Bigger/better screen looks much nicer IMO, too.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
When it plays the msg "turn left ast 800 ft", does it show on the creen the street namer to turn to? Is it large and clear the street name?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Just to clarify, I didn't regret getting the navi as you get 7" LCD instead of 5" voice command, DVD and all the other bells and whistles. Just hope MB improve the navi firmware next time.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by guyfromtor
When it plays the msg "turn left ast 800 ft", does it show on the creen the street namer to turn to? Is it large and clear the street name?
not sure if name is there, I don't ususally look at Navi screen (look on the road), but it's very clear on the screen where to turn. It also shows directions of the lanes. For inst., if you are on a 4 lane road and some lanes go left/right/straigt, navi shows which lanes go where.

Another thing to add, the navi works great in the city with tall buidlings. My Navman portable navi was getting confused due to high buildings. Haven't had this problem with GLK. Also when you go into tunnel, it still shows where you are on the map even tho it's not getting the signal (it calculates where you should be based on how much you traveled)
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
The street name is displayed large across either the top or bottom of the screen, the street you're on is displayed for the opposite:either top or bottom.
I like the Navigation...I have a higher end portable Magellan, but I like not having power cords and suction cup residue on the windshield and worring about having a window smashed out and having it stolen. I do take it down when I park, but it's still a concern. The built in has never let me down.

Karburn...

For what it's worth, I have the ML and have had a GLK as a loaner...the GLK is a blast, loved it, but not for my everyday ride. The ride was stiffer and quite a bit more "sporty". Felt alot smaller inside too, I guess it depends on your driving style and needs. If money was no object, I would add a GLK to the fleet in a second....for zipping around town, not a family road trip.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM

GLK 350
I don't have the car yet, I am ordering this weekend and will be delivered in 3 months.

I have downloaded the manual and on the section for the navi, it states to look at a separate manual.

Anyone has seen this for download?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
I like my navi a lot. The views are great and rarely I need to look at all the street names anyways, so for me it's perfect. I don't use it much anyways locally but when I do it works well.

I would much prefer this to a Garmin as it is built in, boots up way faster, doesn't need to lock on to satellites, and where I live I don't have to worry about thiefs breaking in to my car to steal my GPS unit.