GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Official Gas mileage thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 220 cdi - irridiumsilver
Here in Belgium most of the cars are diesel engines while the gasoline is so high in price: nearly 2 $ for 1 liter ! So I drive the GLK diesel with a consumption of 7 to 8 liters per 100 km. On the highway even below 7 liter.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 2010
I managed to get 9.2 litres / 100 kms on a two hour road trip recently, with RPMs rarely getting over 2000.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

GLK 2010
same mileage as noted above on longer trip (600 km), RPMs well over 2000, doing 120 k / hr, total mileage at 12,000 km
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I must add that consumption improved with warmer weather by 2-3 mpg.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Why cars get better gas mileage in warm weather

by Louis Albornoz
There are many factors that cause cars to achieve better gas mileage in warm weather. It is mostly due to the fact that cold weather, especially winter weather, negatively affects fuel economy in general. Some cars, such as hybrids and electrics, are affected more than others but this article will only address gasoline powered cars.

Here are nine reasons for why cars get better gas mileage in warm weather:

1. Oil viscosity

Oil viscosity (thickness) is affected by temperature. Heat reduces oil viscosity (makes it thinner). This reduces drag on the engine and increases gas mileage. Cold increases oil viscosity (makes it thicker). This increases drag on the engine and reduces gas mileage. An engine operates more efficiently when the oil flows like water and not molasses. This concept also applies to all the other lubricants and fluids found in your vehicle.

2. Tire pressure and rolling resistance

In fall and winter, tires lose air pressure due to the colder weather. Under-inflated tires increase rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy. In spring and summer, tires gain air pressure due to the warmer weather. Rolling resistance decreases and fuel economy improves.

3. Engine warm up time

Modern vehicles achieve peak fuel efficiency only when they have reached their normal operating temperature. In colder weather, this process takes more time and this results in decreased fuel economy. In warmer weather this is not the case. Your engine reaches normal operating temperature faster and fuel economy improves.

4. Air density

Hot air is not as dense as cold air and it presents less resistance to the forward movement of your vehicle. Consequently, your gas mileage will be better in warmer weather.

5. Ice and snow

Ice and snow, which commonly accompany cold weather, create slippery road conditions. This often causes wheel spin upon acceleration. A lot of wheel spinning also occurs when trying to get out of icy or snowy parking spots. All this going nowhere reduces your gas mileage. Furthermore, ice and snow force you to drive at less fuel-efficient speeds.

6. Cold weather starting

It usually takes longer to start a vehicle in colder weather. In the middle of winter, poorly maintained vehicles can spend several minutes trying to start up. While the engine cranks, gas gets wasted and fuel economy decreases. Vehicles start faster in warmer weather which results in better gas mileage.

7. Winter grade gasoline

Here in America, many states require gas stations to sell oxygenated, reformulated, or blended gasoline during the colder months of the year. These types of gasoline often contain ethanol or butane, and this diluted gasoline will typically lower your fuel economy by one to three percent due to its lower energy content. Gasoline sold in warmer months has a higher energy content which results in better gas mileage.

8. Increased alternator and engine load

Drivers use more vehicle accessories in colder weather than they realize. The heater, the defroster, windshield wipers, electric seat warmers; all this puts an additional strain on the alternator. This demand on the alternator creates additional drag on the engine which reduces fuel economy.

9. Better vehicle maintenance

Many people are in the habit of tuning up their vehicles in preparation for travel during spring and summer. It is no secret that a well-maintained vehicle gets better gas mileage than one that is neglected.

Well, there you have it. Warmer weather equals better gas mileage. We can all move closer to the equator or we can wait until technology develops engines that are more fuel efficient in colder weather. Now wouldn't that be interesting?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63s
89 fuel 4/3 tank drove 420km
91 fuel 4/3 tank drove 370km
Old 04-10-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by RedRover
Why cars get better gas mileage in warm weather

by Louis Albornoz
There are many factors that cause cars to achieve better gas mileage in warm weather. It is mostly due to the fact that cold weather, especially winter weather, negatively affects fuel economy in general. Some cars, such as hybrids and electrics, are affected more than others but this article will only address gasoline powered cars.

Here are nine reasons for why cars get better gas mileage in warm weather:

1. Oil viscosity

Oil viscosity (thickness) is affected by temperature. Heat reduces oil viscosity (makes it thinner). This reduces drag on the engine and increases gas mileage. Cold increases oil viscosity (makes it thicker). This increases drag on the engine and reduces gas mileage. An engine operates more efficiently when the oil flows like water and not molasses. This concept also applies to all the other lubricants and fluids found in your vehicle.

2. Tire pressure and rolling resistance

In fall and winter, tires lose air pressure due to the colder weather. Under-inflated tires increase rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy. In spring and summer, tires gain air pressure due to the warmer weather. Rolling resistance decreases and fuel economy improves.

3. Engine warm up time

Modern vehicles achieve peak fuel efficiency only when they have reached their normal operating temperature. In colder weather, this process takes more time and this results in decreased fuel economy. In warmer weather this is not the case. Your engine reaches normal operating temperature faster and fuel economy improves.

4. Air density

Hot air is not as dense as cold air and it presents less resistance to the forward movement of your vehicle. Consequently, your gas mileage will be better in warmer weather.

5. Ice and snow

Ice and snow, which commonly accompany cold weather, create slippery road conditions. This often causes wheel spin upon acceleration. A lot of wheel spinning also occurs when trying to get out of icy or snowy parking spots. All this going nowhere reduces your gas mileage. Furthermore, ice and snow force you to drive at less fuel-efficient speeds.

6. Cold weather starting

It usually takes longer to start a vehicle in colder weather. In the middle of winter, poorly maintained vehicles can spend several minutes trying to start up. While the engine cranks, gas gets wasted and fuel economy decreases. Vehicles start faster in warmer weather which results in better gas mileage.

7. Winter grade gasoline

Here in America, many states require gas stations to sell oxygenated, reformulated, or blended gasoline during the colder months of the year. These types of gasoline often contain ethanol or butane, and this diluted gasoline will typically lower your fuel economy by one to three percent due to its lower energy content. Gasoline sold in warmer months has a higher energy content which results in better gas mileage.

8. Increased alternator and engine load

Drivers use more vehicle accessories in colder weather than they realize. The heater, the defroster, windshield wipers, electric seat warmers; all this puts an additional strain on the alternator. This demand on the alternator creates additional drag on the engine which reduces fuel economy.

9. Better vehicle maintenance

Many people are in the habit of tuning up their vehicles in preparation for travel during spring and summer. It is no secret that a well-maintained vehicle gets better gas mileage than one that is neglected.

Well, there you have it. Warmer weather equals better gas mileage. We can all move closer to the equator or we can wait until technology develops engines that are more fuel efficient in colder weather. Now wouldn't that be interesting?
interesting but some points are somewhat BS.
2 - yes, but I adjust tire pressure in winter.
4 - don't really know how much effect that has on anything, but engines work better in cooler temperatures (except for warm up times and very cold temperatures)
6,9 don't really apply to our cars
8 - AC in summer puts as much if not more strain then any of the electrical stuff.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM

2010 Mercedes GLK 350
Better gas mileage on 89 octane?

Originally Posted by bing1221
89 fuel 4/3 tank drove 420km
91 fuel 4/3 tank drove 370km

This is contrary to what I was told.
Anyone else experience this?

Len
Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63s
If you own the car, better fill up with 91
Mine is leased, so I don't care.

Originally Posted by Lend27

Len
Old 04-11-2010, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Lend27

Len
that's because that information doesn't tell you much. Car could have been driven differently resulting in different fuel consumption.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 PM

2010 glk 350
Owned for 7 months now, I get a consistant 470km's out of a tank in c mode, mixed driving, fairly agressive. Did 3 tanks in s mode and got 440 km's each time. Tried a tank of 87 octane just to see, I got 483km's out of that tank but the GLK sure didn't like that gas very much.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by bing1221
If you own the car, better fill up with 91
Mine is leased, so I don't care.
ouch, this is why I recommend ppl to steer away from used entry level MB and BMW. People can't be "bothered" to put in proper gas because it will cost them an extra $200 a year. Its unfortunate, I tend to take care of "other's" property as my own...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM

GLK 350 4Matic, G35, Ford Ranger FX4II
I've got about 6k on my GLK and I get the same, 19 MPG US, 23 CDN. Most of my driving is highway. Takes getting used to a midsize SUV versus a G35
Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
335 km on 40 Liters, (210 miles on 10.5 US Gal, 8.8 IMP Gal)

All city driving,

11.9 L / 100 km
20 US MPG
24 IMP MPG

A bit better now that there is 9400 km on it!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by SD90
335 km on 40 Liters, (210 miles on 10.5 US Gal, 8.8 IMP Gal)

All city driving,

11.9 L / 100 km
20 US MPG
24 IMP MPG

A bit better now that there is 9400 km on it!
Pretty much what i'm seeing now with mainly city driving with around 3000kms total. I remember the first 1000km's was brutal (but it was during winter too)
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
I'm getting 24.5mpg in the country and 26mpg on the highway since I passed the 5K mark.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM

2012 ML350, 2020 GLE450 (On Order)
I'm getting 16.6L / 100KM on average, just got over 1300KM on it now and i've filled it up 3 times already. I just cant drive it tame in S mode...that engine growl's, its a beast i tell ya!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by glkbeige
I'm getting 24.5mpg in the country and 26mpg on the highway since I passed the 5K mark.
Wow, that is great mileage -- whereabout are you in GA? I'm in Gwinnett!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Originally Posted by Mercedes Rules
Wow, that is great mileage -- whereabout are you in GA? I'm in Gwinnett!

Down near Macon!