GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?

So is it OK to jack or support the car using the rubber block on the center of the front cross member under the engine? (I assume this is the purpose of this rubber block.)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
No....
Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by MBRedux
No....
Page 51 of the Service Introduction Manual shows that you CAN lift the vehicle at this point. BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE CAR IN THE PROPER LOCATIONS WITH JACK STANDS BEFORE WORKING UNDERNEATH. SO FOR LIFTING ONLY!

Manual can be found here ....

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...40a8a6cb5377b4

Last edited by cyberglk350; 03-29-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cyberglk350
Page 51 of the Service Introduction Manual shows that you CAN lift the vehicle at this point. BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE CAR IN THE PROPER LOCATIONS WITH JACK STANDS BEFORE WORKING UNDERNEATH. SO FOR LIFTING ONLY!
Excellent! Thank you so much, cyberglk350, for the info and the link to the Manual.

I will pass the info along to other groups and give you credit for the reference.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
My answer is still "no". That consumer document isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It's NOT a lifting point to be used all by itself. It's one of 5 to be used in unison... otherwise it's a support point, and not a single lifting point for the weight of the entire front end with engine, transmission, wheels, tires etc... it will bend.... do so at your own risk.

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-29-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is what I use on two hydr. jacks set into the recess pockets on each side of the car. Once the tires are off the ground, I quickly remove them to reduce weight.

Last edited by MBRedux; 08-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
I got one just like it, is it from Reverse Logic?

It works amazing with hydraulic jack. I used it to install the Winter Wheel.

I’ll probably use it again this weekend to install my OEM 20”
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
car is not made out of tinfoil. If it can't take part of its own weight everything would be bent after hitting first bump.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM

My answer is still "no". It's NOT a lifting point to be used all by itself.
So what procedure would you suggest using a floor jack to raise and support the vehicle so that all 4 wheels are off the ground simultaneously? (This surely is a lot easier on the BMWs I've owned where there are support points on the frame rails separate from the jacking points.) Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
My answer is still "no". That consumer document isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Did you even read the document?

This is an official technical publication service document written by Daimler Chrysler / Mercedes Benz engineering. It is delivered to ALL service managers prior to new model delivery.

I'm calling on your "5 Point" simultaneous lifting theory.

The subframe is NOT GOING TO BEND BY LIFTING HERE. HAHA LMAO!!!

Just to verify and not sound like yourself REDUX, I called my local dealer and asked about this jacking point. It is EXACTLY what it is descrbed as in the pre-service manual. IT IS A LIFTING POINT.

The service manager even verified this information from the actual service manual for me and verified this as FACT.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
car is not made out of tinfoil. If it can't take part of its own weight everything would be bent after hitting first bump.
This comment proves my point about the lack of technical expertise by some on this forum..... beware!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyberglk350
Did you even read the document?

This is an official technical publication service document written by Daimler Chrysler / Mercedes Benz engineering. It is delivered to ALL service managers prior to new model delivery.

I'm calling on your "5 Point" simultaneous lifting theory.

The subframe is NOT GOING TO BEND BY LIFTING HERE. HAHA LMAO!!!

Just to verify and not sound like yourself REDUX, I called my local dealer and asked about this jacking point. It is EXACTLY what it is descrbed as in the pre-service manual. IT IS A LIFTING POINT.

The service manager even verified this information from the actual service manual for me and verified this as FACT.
No theory... just 40 years of professional racing experience.... your comments prove my point as well.
"Service manager"....

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by slk55er
So what procedure would you suggest using a floor jack to raise and support the vehicle so that all 4 wheels are off the ground simultaneously? (This surely is a lot easier on the BMWs I've owned where there are support points on the frame rails separate from the jacking points.) Thanks for your advice.

On any vehicle with a uni-structure space frame, impact forces from an accident are the top priority for engineers and designers... not if it can withstand a single lifting point by the customer. Now for those that do not understand automotive structure, the entire weight of any vehicle is never loaded up on any single cross beam or member but always suspended by springs onto each of the 4 axles so that the weight of the vehicle is never loaded onto any one point.... ever.

That's why professionals use use a four (and sometime a five point) hydraulic lift to do the job. It raises the vehicle *EQUALLY* at all four corners simultaneously lessening the torsional stress while it goes up. And even then the body will bend and flex (try opening a door when your car is jacked up) until it can once again float on its springs when lowered.

If your wish is to raise the GLK completely off the ground, the best way is to use a two point hydraulic jack (below) for the front and rear using the device shown above in my other post for your GLK...otherwise the flex can be rather harsh on it when doing each corner separately... just like a whale out of water, most uni-structured space frame vehicles do not like being off their springs for too long.

Even then you shouldn’t get beneath the car... Mercedes GLK's really don't have jack stand points either.

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-30-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
Meh i used to lift my car last time, seemed perfect.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
This comment proves my point about the lack of technical expertise by some on this forum..... beware!

You are right i have no technical experience, I have this thing called common sense and it has worked alright so far. Lifted old toyots on whatever part of the car fited the jack and looked stable enough, no problem whatsover (had cars for years). And since when racing experience make you an MB engineer? Did you design GLK? Did you put it together? Did you lift it and something got bent? So lack of technical expericence applies to you just as much. Save your 40 years of racing experience excuse for other times.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Now for those that do not understand automotive structure, the entire weight of any vehicle is never loaded up on any single cross beam or member but always suspended by springs onto each of the 4 axles so that the weight of the vehicle is never loaded onto any one point.... ever.
so for those who don't understand

are we lifting entire car on one singe point? Wouldn't two wheels be still on the ground?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
No theory... just 40 years of professional racing experience.... your comments prove my point as well.
"Service manager"....

Well pardon all of us for challenging your superior intellect.

"Racing Experience" does not qualify as --> "Actually Working in a Mercedes Service Center" and following hte proper procedures in that type of environment.

Again, "Reading Comprehension 101"

I wrote ....

The Service Manager looked it up from the SERVICE MANUAL SPECIFIC TO THE GLK.

You just like to get the last word REDUX .

You can keep doing that if you want. It only helps make the point that you think of yourself as some kind of "KNOW IT ALL"

But guess what?

YOU DON'T
Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
You are right i have no technical experience, I have this thing called common sense and it has worked alright so far. Lifted old toyots on whatever part of the car fited the jack and looked stable enough, no problem whatsover (had cars for years). And since when racing experience make you an MB engineer? Did you design GLK? Did you put it together? Did you lift it and something got bent? So lack of technical expericence applies to you just as much. Save your 40 years of racing experience excuse for other times.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
Your 40 years < Mercedes 124 Years

KK THX
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay BLK and Cyberman.... Please demonstrate for all of us your willingness to act on very little technical know how. I dare you both to jack up your brand new Mercedes GLK using only the center of the cross support, video tape and/or take pix.... in fact do it a few times for us all to see... do it like three or four times if you don't mind.... It will give way sooner or later, maybe even crush or bend. In any case, the stress will lessen it's structural integrity.

Come on, let's go......... let's see it......... put up or shut up!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
Okay BLK and Cyberman.... Please demonstrate for all of us your willingness to act on very little technical know how. I dare you both to jack up your brand new Mercedes GLK using only the center of the cross support, video tape and/or take pix.... in fact do it a few times for us all to see... do it like three or four times if you don't mind.... It will give way sooner or later, maybe even crush or bend. In any case, the stress will lessen it's structural integrity.

Come on, let's go......... let's see it......... put up or shut up!
dude i jacked my clk last week , did not see any problems...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 PM

OK Guys. How 'bout if we all take a deep breath and cool off. Geez! Sorry I brought up the subject.

As a member suggested on another board, I'll subscribe to Startek and report on findings. In the meantime, I'll jack up one side at a time.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^don't be sorry...that's what these forums are for...sharing information one way or another.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Done Did It -- But Not Recommended

Well, I did it on my CLS550 (photos attached.) I assume the GLK procedure would be similar, but after doing this, I don't recommend doing this, not because of any structural concerns, but because it is not stable.

I wanted to take all 4 wheels and my spare to the tire shop for new tires. So using my floor jack at the normal front jack points behind the front wheels, I was able to raise the rear (one side at a time) high enough to put jack stands at the normal rear jacking points. Then I placed a single jack stand under the rubber pad on the front Xmember and lowered the vehicle on to it. I removed the wheels and took these photos, but because I did not consider the vehicle to be stable, I then put the floor jack and the OEM jack under the vehicle before leaving it.

So I do not recommend doing this, but in an emergency or in a similar situation, I would consider jacking the vehicle using the Xmember pad and then supporting the vehicle with jack stands under the normal jacking points.

BTW -- I modified some jack stands (the ones used at the rear of the vehicle) by removing the top "Y" portion of the center ratcheted support piece. This way, the jack stand fits into the cavity/pocket in the body where the jack normally fits. I have also fabricated a piece for my floor jack that fits into these cavities.
Attached Thumbnails OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?-xmembersupport1.jpg   OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?-xmembersupport3.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
Originally Posted by slk55er
Well, I did it on my CLS550 (photos attached.) I assume the GLK procedure would be similar, but after doing this, I don't recommend doing this, not because of any structural concerns, but because it is not stable.

I wanted to take all 4 wheels and my spare to the tire shop for new tires. So using my floor jack at the normal front jack points behind the front wheels, I was able to raise the rear (one side at a time) high enough to put jack stands at the normal rear jacking points. Then I placed a single jack stand under the rubber pad on the front Xmember and lowered the vehicle on to it. I removed the wheels and took these photos, but because I did not consider the vehicle to be stable, I then put the floor jack and the OEM jack under the vehicle before leaving it.

So I do not recommend doing this, but in an emergency or in a similar situation, I would consider jacking the vehicle using the Xmember pad and then supporting the vehicle with jack stands under the normal jacking points.

BTW -- I modified some jack stands (the ones used at the rear of the vehicle) by removing the top "Y" portion of the center ratcheted support piece. This way, the jack stand fits into the cavity/pocket in the body where the jack normally fits. I have also fabricated a piece for my floor jack that fits into these cavities.
swell DUH i only lift my front when my back tires are o the ground, when you pick up whole car better to use 4 floor jacks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?