Thinking about ordering 2011 GLK 350 Soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Thinking about ordering 2011 GLK 350 Soon

Hi all,

This is the first time I will be buying a car for myself and have been doing some extensive research on what I like. I recently narrowed down my search to the Acura RDX and GLK 350. I'm pretty much set on the GLK 350, but just reading up on the vehicle as much as I can.

What I'm looking to get: 2011 GLK 350 with lighting package, black/black, mb tex, running boards (I know they are useless, but required for company rules), and chrome package. The last issues I'm trying to address are as follows:

-I read a review mention when using a car seat for a baby (where the baby faces the rear seat) that the front seat has to be moved up so far to where even a 5'2-5'4 person would be uncomfortable in the front passenger seat. Can anyone with this setup comment on this? Is this heavily dependent on the type of car seat used? I don't have any kids now, but plan on having kids when I still have the vehicle.

-Also, I'm planning on keeping my vehicle for around 8-9 years in my family, I see that these German cars are not as reliable as Japanese cars, but will I be paying out an absurd amount for repairs (bc of parts and labor costs) to keep this vehicle running that long? (Would be my first MB).

-When I went to the dealership they mentioned if I ordered one now, I would get a 2011 in the July time frame. Does anyone have experience negotiating a price on a custom order? Was it much harder? The problem I'm encountering is that the dealerships haven't gotten pricing on it yet.

-Does anyone know where I can find preview info for the 2011 model? I've tried searching and haven't come up with much.

Thank you in advance for helping out. I've been thinking about this vehicle a lot lately because I want to just go ahead an order, but I want to make sure I have my bases covered.

Last edited by Shak59; 05-02-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Don't know about baby seat.

When I was buying my GLK ordering one or getting one off the lot didn't really make much difference. I didn't want to wait and the guy got me GLK that was on the ship coming to US and was supposed to go to Colorado. I still got it for about invoice price. If we couldn't find what I want he was going to order one with the same discount. However, you might be able to get a better price to get car off the lot than to order. Keep in mind, it's very hard to find a car with lighting package, unless it's also fully loaded. So you'll have to order.

Another thing is that if you are financing, apr might change as they give what is in effect on the delivery date (month) not on the purchase date.

If dealer didn't have pricing info on 2011, it's prolly not out yet. I don't think much would change but price might go up a bit just like with C class.

I'm planning to keep GLK for 7-10 years or till it starts having too many problems. So far it's been flawless except for electric tailgate, which was easily fixed under warranty. Nobody knows or can read the future, but from what I read on the forums ppl have problems with Acuras too, even tho it's Honda. MB's quality has improved from what I read.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM

2010 GLK " SOLD", 2008 GL550 "LOADED", 2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6 "SOLD", 2000 E-320, 2004 Audit TT
I have a 2000 E320 as well and that thing is practically bulletproof. Just recently my a/c just gave out. To me its not bad for 10 years of beating i gave it.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Good choice.
I also tested the RDX. It was certainly more like a Honda (Solidly middle class) than a luxury car.
One thing I noted with the RDX and the Mazda CX7 and the VW Tiguan....they all claim to have done away with Turbo delay....and none of them have.

Pure measurements say that the back seat has plenty of room for a car seat in the back without crunching the front seat. But I would suppose you are right...there are car seats and there are car seats. Here are some measurements. http://www.carseatdata.org/cnt/resou...t-measurements

Like NYC. I intend to keep the GLK for several years.....about 6 or 7. But I don't put up with unreliable cars.
So far it has been flawless.
I bought mine for a couple of hundred under Invoice without any trouble. Buy near the end of the month and it is easier. The sales manager/salesman like to make quota.
Bet the 2011 goes up a couple of hundred........
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
I've got 10 000 km on our 2010 GLK right now, and haven't had any problems or issues. I plan on keeping it until it becomes unreliable as well, which is a long time hopefully! We bought it in January, and love it so far. We never had the rear facing car seat, but do have a booster seat in the back, and our 4 year old fits with me driving, I'm 5'11", if that helps.
We looked at the RDX, Infiniti EX, and FX and ended up going with the GLK and don't regret it at all!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM

GLK350
Thank you all for your responses. I'm currently in the process of trying to negotiate pricing. I'm having some difficulty since it will be a 2011 vehicle not in stock yet. Although I would think they would do a better price since they aren't paying interest on the vehicle to sit on their lot and are guaranteed a sale.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by Shak59
Thank you all for your responses. I'm currently in the process of trying to negotiate pricing. I'm having some difficulty since it will be a 2011 vehicle not in stock yet. Although I would think they would do a better price since they aren't paying interest on the vehicle to sit on their lot and are guaranteed a sale.
Might want to just wait till the 2011's start showing up so you can pick up a left over 2010. There isn't going to be a whole lot of difference between the two and your bound to save anywhere from $5k to $10k depending on your dealership and their inventory. I've got burned when I got my C class, just had to have the newest model and if I would have just waited a few more months I could have got the same car for $10k less as a left over. Your color choices and options will be limited, but for me, the money saved more than makes up for it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good info here. i might be ordering a 2011 but still on the fence about the GLK. it's going to be wife's car so we are thinking about doing European Delivery. by doing that we can save about 7% & use the money for the trip. not a bad deal for a fresh new year car. i doubt dealer would discount 2011 too much.

my question is what % do they have on profit? with european delivery it's about 7% off. is it real u could get 5~10k off buying in US?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 PM

GLK350
ChilledBenz, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'm on a car plan from my company so I need to have a car withing a certain number of model years. If I can get the 2011 now, then that'll give me an extra year of usability on my car plan.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM

GLK350
MB dealers have been telling me they have 6% margin. I'm guessing thats from MSRP to invoice maybe? But then they probably have holdbacks from the manufacturer for 2-3% (guessing) and maybe other incentives???
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Shak59
-I read a review mention when using a car seat for a baby (where the baby faces the rear seat) that the front seat has to be moved up so far to where even a 5'2-5'4 person would be uncomfortable in the front passenger seat. Can anyone with this setup comment on this? Is this heavily dependent on the type of car seat used? I don't have any kids now, but plan on having kids when I still have the vehicle.
All rear facing car seats do use up quite a lot of room, and you are supposed to place the seat in the centre (safest position) which makes it very tricky.

We went the van route, but go back to smaller cars when kids can use front facing seats, usually 2 to 3 years old.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Nissan Murano
Shak59,

I was in the exact situation a year ago between GLK and RDX, and I decided on GLK and very happy for my decision.

Here is my experience to share:

For Car seat? I don't use rear facing car seat anymore, but with two children booster seat, they are pretty tight, but acceptable, I don't have to move my seat all the way up. However GLK rear spacing is well known to be small, but we all knew about it.

Reliable? I planned to keep it long term if possible, hope everything goes well, This is the only new vehicle I purchased which is flawless, so far nothing require to be back to the service.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Originally Posted by 20C4S
good info here. i might be ordering a 2011 but still on the fence about the GLK. it's going to be wife's car so we are thinking about doing European Delivery. by doing that we can save about 7% & use the money for the trip. not a bad deal for a fresh new year car. i doubt dealer would discount 2011 too much.

my question is what % do they have on profit? with european delivery it's about 7% off. is it real u could get 5~10k off buying in US?
You need to look for what affiliations you have with companies like USAA, BJ's, credit unions like Delta and NFCU etc. Many offer a decent discount with membership. I obtained greater than 10% off of MSRP with my purchase which was in the range you mentioned above in the US.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:45 PM

'03 CLK 55
Yes, on Car seat... but it really comes down to what kind of baby seat you are getting..

baby seat tends to take more space when you face back.. and it is pretty tight in the front.. but may be my baby seat is bit big.. my RR feels small with my car seat : (

BTW, GLK is much better car than RDX.... not because I own one, but it is FACT!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM

GLK350
Thanks for all of your help everyone! I placed an order for a 2011 GLK 350 today. Should arrive mid to end of July. Ordered with lighting package (didn't say LED taillights, so I'm wondering if they will be standard, because they weren't an option either).

Also ordered running boards (required if a dealer option for business purposes). LED daytime running lamps were an option so I got those as well. Chrome accessory kit wasn't available to be ordered so I'm assuming that can just be added on at any dealership afterwards.

Hopefully the price for the 2011 isn't too much more than the 2010, can't wait to see pricing on the car and options as well as getting my car!!