GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Euro GLKs with black bumper pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel GLK in 20??
Euro GLKs with black bumper pads

I was scanning GLK images on the FLIKR.com photo website and found a few images of European GLKs where black strips of, I assume, rubber are present on both the front and rear bumpers to give additional paint protection from parking maneuver "incidents". That seems like a good idea and, in my opinion, does not detract from the looks of the vehicle. The lower portion of modern painted bumpers can show impact dings easily. This has led to some owners investing in "clear bras" which involves the application of adhesive clear vinyl sheets to cover all the vulnerable locations. I have heard of new car owners spending US$500+ for these clear bras.

Are MB dealers able to order the Euro style GLK bumper pads?

Have any GLK owners managed to order these pads elsewhere.

Has anyone found aftermarket rubber protective products that protect the painted bumpers and license plates?

Back when I owned a Porsche 914 I bought OEM rubber bumper guards for the chrome front and rear bumpers. These were solid rubber and about 3 inches deep and they bolted into the chrome bumper. I did not have to worry about klutzes who parallel park by tapping the cars in front and behind.

American GLKs have thin chrome door protection strips and in the Euro GLK images I found they are absent. Black rubber strips would be more SUV-like and practical. Has anyone replaced or covered these chrome door strips with rubber strips?
Attached Thumbnails Euro GLKs with black bumper pads-euro-glk-rubber-bumper-pads.jpg   Euro GLKs with black bumper pads-rear-glk-bummper-pads.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 AM

bmw x3 GLK 350 cdi
this is my car ! Same color and same bumper..

The bumper is optional and came only whit the "off road" pack.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 AM

Mercedes Benz GLK-350
Originally Posted by benbow
I was scanning GLK images on the FLIKR.com photo website and found a few images of European GLKs where black strips of, I assume, rubber are present on both the front and rear bumpers to give additional paint protection from parking maneuver "incidents". That seems like a good idea and, in my opinion, does not detract from the looks of the vehicle. The lower portion of modern painted bumpers can show impact dings easily. This has led to some owners investing in "clear bras" which involves the application of adhesive clear vinyl sheets to cover all the vulnerable locations. I have heard of new car owners spending US$500+ for these clear bras.

Have any GLK owners managed to order these pads elsewhere.

Has anyone found aftermarket rubber protective products that protect the painted bumpers and license plates?

Back when I owned a Porsche 914 I bought OEM rubber bumper guards for the chrome front and rear bumpers. These were solid rubber and about 3 inches deep and they bolted into the chrome bumper. I did not have to worry about klutzes who parallel park by tapping the cars in front and behind.

American GLKs have thin chrome door protection strips and in the Euro GLK images I found they are absent. Black rubber strips would be more SUV-like and practical. Has anyone replaced or covered these chrome door strips with rubber strips?

Not sure if you'd be able to replace the chrome strips with the black rubber strips that easily but this comes as standard fitment on the off-roading package. If you have a White GLK and a panaromic roof these strips do make the GLK look hot.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
for parking, buy bumber pads and put them on when your car is parked in tight spots (kinda like bumber bully)

Last edited by NYCGLK; 06-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The actual bumper is probably different, too, i.e. with holes for mounting the rubber parts. You would be the first to attempt modifying them, I expect.

You can look up the part numbers yourself if you subscribe to EPC.

It's for USA customers only, and is free for USA parts.

For $12/year you can view all-world parts.

http://epc.startekinfo.com

One place to source Mercedes parts from Europe is http://www.speed-autoteile.com
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by lkchris
One place to source Mercedes parts from Europe is http://www.speed-autoteile.com
- and another one is Schätz Tuning GmbH, "Your partner for proffesional Mercedes supply":
http://schaetztuning.de/index.php?la...b150282ea94bf6
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Diesel GLK in 20??
parts sources

Thanks for the links. Wish the EPC catalog was Mac OS compatible.

Schaetztuning has only a small selection of GLK modding parts such as chrome surround trims for exterior lights, mirrors and door handles.

Vintage Benzes look good with lots of chrome window trim but in modern Benzes I think that having lots of chrome is...ahem...tacky. Charcoal or piano black trim is my preference. I might even paint my future GLK front grill black. Just my opinion which may be a minority view here.

The OEM GLK bumper pads are thin enough that I suspect they are applied with an automotive adhesive. It might be as easy as peel-and-stick. One can see exactly where they would fit around the bumper level lights on the American GLK bumpers.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 AM

bmw x3 GLK 350 cdi
The OEM GLK bumper pads are thin enough that I suspect they are applied with an automotive adhesive.
Right !

But the bumper pads protect only the corners because the bumpers are curved and protruding center
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM

The OEM GLK bumper pads are thin enough that I suspect they are applied with an automotive adhesive. It might be as easy as peel-and-stick. One can see exactly where they would fit around the bumper level lights on the American GLK bumpers.

Have any GLK owners managed to order these pads elsewhere
As you and ciro write, the pads are applied with adhesive, as much of the other OEM exterior stuff.

I don't have answers to the two questions, however on one of the attachments (from our regional) 2009 "Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories GLK-Class", there is a page with "Item nos." with regard to the (black) pads. However don't I find the pads listed in the 2010 MBUSA brochure:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...s_brochure.pdf

You could check with your dealership.

Sorry for the bad quality of the "copies"
Attached Thumbnails Euro GLKs with black bumper pads-glk-off-road-pads-item-nos..jpg   Euro GLKs with black bumper pads-glk-off-road-front-pads.jpg   Euro GLKs with black bumper pads-glk-off-road-rear-pads.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:52 AM

Diesel GLK in 20??
The 2009 American GLK accessories brochure does not list any corner pads for the bumpers. However your included catalog images show front pads above and below the fog lights as well as a black center pad or it may be the exposed end of a black skid plate. One can see a interlocking tab where the corner pad meets the black central pad or plate. As Ciro notes the center of the rear bumper has no rubber protection at all.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 AM

GLK 350
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck finding these pads. Would love to get them on my GLK. I think they look great and are functional.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
It looks like the sensors for the PDS need to be modified ??
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
- and another one is Schätz Tuning GmbH, "Your partner for proffesional Mercedes supply":
http://schaetztuning.de/index.php?la...b150282ea94bf6
I don't know what's up with all the chrome stuff? Must be a Euro thing. We on this side of the pond have had enough of *chrome* in our past automotive history, but it appears Europe is going Ga-Ga over it.

However, that steering wheel is real nice! Love to get that for the wife but at over $1,250.00 US (without S/H and installation) I'm going to only dream about it.

Link: http://schaetztuning.de/b204133612b-...b150282ea94bf6
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Wow, only 800 euros for carbon side mirror housings! That'll really make my GLK fly!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by adamg2302
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck finding these pads. Would love to get them on my GLK. I think they look great and are functional.
As noted above, are they listed as Genuine accessories from Mercedes-Benz, Add-on parts (with some other need-to-have-stuff): http://www.amg-part.com/pdf/2010-09-pass-1.pdf.

Check with your dealership.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM

GLK 350
I have checked with my dealership and they have told me that I unfortunately can not obtain them in the U.S.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by adamg2302
I have checked with my dealership and they have told me that I unfortunately can not obtain them in the U.S.
So order them via Speed Autoteile as suggested above.