GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What is that?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
What is that?

Hey guys just got my GLK and I have searched the forum for many things and found answers on a lot of stuff except for a few. They are not anything important but I am curious about.

1. There is a headphone jack sort of plug on the right side of the interior of the glove box, what is it for?

2. What is the little orange light in between the reading lights under the rear view mirror.

3. Is the bubble thingy on the dash the light sensor? I am pretty sure it is.

4. I believe the little rectangle you can see on the outside of the windshield at the top center is the rain sensor, am I right?

5. What is the little square thing on the right front side of the rear view mirror?

Lastly, do your tail lights and corner lights come on with DRL.

Sorry about all the questions and forgive me if the answers are already there. I have a 2010 Canadian version just so you know.

Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by rcguy5
1. There is a headphone jack sort of plug on the right side of the interior of the glove box, what is it for?
It's an auxiliary jack that you can use to plug in an audio source (like an iPod). It will play the sound through the car's audio system but you won't be able to control playback through the car system. You have to control playback on the device itself.

If you want to use it, get an audio cable with a 3.5mm male connector on each side and connect the headphone jack of your audio device to the port in the glovebox. These cables are cheap.

2. What is the little orange light in between the reading lights under the rear view mirror.
I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing. Ambient lighting, maybe? Do you have the full leather package?

3. Is the bubble thingy on the dash the light sensor? I am pretty sure it is.
Yes.

4. I believe the little rectangle you can see on the outside of the windshield at the top center is the rain sensor, am I right?
Yes.

5. What is the little square thing on the right front side of the rear view mirror?
I'm having trouble picturing this, too. Which side are you calling the front? The side that faces the front of the car or the side you look at from the driver's seat?

Lastly, do your tail lights and corner lights come on with DRL.
No.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM

2011 C63
Hey balticgreen,

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have the leather package, if you look at the underside of the rear view mirror there is a double reading light assy in the middle and a little 1/4 inch size orange light when on that is right in the center of the reading light assy.

The little square is on the front of the mirror facing the windshield and is on the left side when looking in from the front of the car. Bye the way, it is auto dimming if it matters.

I will take pics and try to post them.

For the guys with Canadaian models let me know if your tail lights and corner
lights are on with DRL.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by rcguy5; 08-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by rcguy5
I don't have the leather package, if you look at the underside of the rear view mirror there is a double reading light assy in the middle and a little 1/4 inch size orange light when on that is right in the center of the reading light assy.
When does it come on? With the reading lamps?

I don't have a GLK (yet?) but I was going to look at my C when I was in it earlier and of course I forgot to do that.

The little square is on the front of the mirror facing the windshield and is on the left side when looking in from the front of the car. Bye the way, it is auto dimming if it matters.
The auto-dimming sensor is on the mirrored side so it can detect bright lights behind you. It's also round, I believe, rather than square.

Perhaps it's for HomeLink? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

For the guys with Canadaian models let me know if your tail lights and corner
lights are on with DRL.
DRLs are required by law in Canada whereas they're allowed but not required in the US; however, how they work probably isn't any different. If you want to know for sure, start your car but leave it in park and walk around the car to see what lights are on.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350
The cap covers a laser sensor this is a leftover from the German automobile manufactures safety council program to improve safety by taking cars away from drivers that demonstrate poor driving skills. The theory is bad driving often causes accidents while not actually being involved in it. In Europe if you do something dumb other drivers can send your auto a signal by laser. If you receive 5 tags in a year’s time you receive a fine, in 3 years if you have 8 or more the German auto manufactures will not sell you a new car. If you have 12 your driver license could be revoked. I think it still works in here. You can check your status at night by putting your hand under the rear view mirror if there is no colored light you’re good, but if it is light yellow all the way to bright red you got tagged for doing something stupid

So far no one has a clue what the light is for.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by 02glider
The cap covers a laser sensor this is a leftover from the German automobile manufactures safety council program to improve safety by taking cars away from drivers that demonstrate poor driving skills. The theory is bad driving often causes accidents while not actually being involved in it. In Europe if you do something dumb other drivers can send your auto a signal by laser. If you receive 5 tags in a year’s time you receive a fine, in 3 years if you have 8 or more the German auto manufactures will not sell you a new car. If you have 12 your driver license could be revoked. I think it still works in here. You can check your status at night by putting your hand under the rear view mirror if there is no colored light you’re good, but if it is light yellow all the way to bright red you got tagged for doing something stupid

So far no one has a clue what the light is for.
What
Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM

GLK 350
OK,

So what is the light for? You have to look up at the bottom of the mirror to see it, or at night put your hand under the mirror to see the glow.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
The little yellowish orange lite on the underside of the mirror is for the "Homelink" It only lights when one of the 3 buttons are pushed. It only lights if the button is programmed.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 PM

E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
The yellow LED is part of the enhanced ambient lighting package that comes with the leather interior option but some lighting enhancements may not be fully implemented in cars without the leather package. The package also includes the LED lighting just above the inside door release handles and separate reading lights in the rear overhead lighting fixture and includes under the dash floor lighting. The LED in the mirror housing is intended to provide limited illumination of the ash receiver and gearshift lever area. Even the lowly VW Beetle has two red LED's in its mirror housing for the same reason.