GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Wind noise above 60mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
UPDATED - head tech found the problem. The seal in the heater box needed to be replaced. So they put a new seal in the heater box (I guess heats the air that comes into the heating system???) and noise is gone so if anyone else is having this wind noise problem, ask the dealership to check on this seal. Part had to be ordered and car should be good tomorrow.

Information from service report:
CONFIRM CUST COMPLAINT, FOUND WHISTLING NOISE FROM CAR AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, PERFORM EXTENSIVE TEST DRIVE, APPLIED TAPE TO ELIMINATE NOISE
FROM WINDOWS OR SUNROOF, R/R WIPER COWLING, FOUND NOISE WOULD GO AWAY
WHEN TAPE WAS APPLIED OVER AIR INTAKE FOR OUTSIDE ON HEATER BOX, R/R
GLOVE BOX, FOUND NOISE COMING FROM SEAM ON HEATER BOX, SEAM WAS
CAUSING WHISTLING NOISE WHEN OUTSIDE AIR WOULD ENTER BOX AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, DRAIN COOLANT, EVAC AR/C SYSTEM, R/R DASH AND DASH SUPPORT,

R/R AND A/C HEATER BOX, USED BUTTLECORD TO SEAL A/C BOX, REINSTALL A/C
BOX, RECHARGE A/C SYSTEM, CORRECT COOLANT LEVEL, RETEST DROVE AFTER
REPAIR, FOUND WHISTLE WAS ELIMINATED, CLEAR CODES, ALL O.K NOW.

Last edited by gsrjc; 09-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011GLK
I'm having this exact same problem at ~60MPH and was wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Also, gsrjc, did the heater box seal fix work for good or were there any updates? I want to suggest it as a fix when I take mine in.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM

E350
I'm having this problem on a E350 2011. 60-70mph whistling, whining noise. Slight but annoying. It also varies slightly with temp (slightly).

Apparently, you can troubleshoot this by taping zones until you narrow it down. I guess this is how the techs do it ; and they seemed to have solved that fellows issues in post above. My guess mine is something like that.

I'm going to tape off the areas myself. This way, I might be able to save some time (i'd hate to complain about something like this, as the sound is not loud; just annoying as hell )

I'll post my fix, if ever it's fixed, here. Even though the car is not the same, it's probably related.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by gsrjc
UPDATED - head tech found the problem. The seal in the heater box needed to be replaced. So they put a new seal in the heater box (I guess heats the air that comes into the heating system???) and noise is gone so if anyone else is having this wind noise problem, ask the dealership to check on this seal. Part had to be ordered and car should be good tomorrow.

That's worse than I thought. A foam seal around a damper door stuck open is what we normally find, especially if the door is vacuum activated and doesn't close completely over time. But to have the actual heater box separate at the seam must mean that it is made from cheaper plastic that cannot withstand the temperatures generated in the heat exchanger, thus distorting the box and opening the seam/seal all along the joint.

Glad it's fixed.

By the way, do you know your post is over in China? http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thre...1.html?owner=1
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
^ with i know what they are talking about.

Good or bad the GLK.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM

GLK
NEW GLK 2012 only put 190 miles already a issue

I took my GLK in on Saturday they took out the heater box and the seal was separating and bent. MBUSA is Ordering new heater box will install Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted on Noise. Im not happy with a new car going to service already.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jc00210
I took my GLK in on Saturday they took out the heater box and the seal was separating and bent. MBUSA is Ordering new heater box will install Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted on Noise. Im not happy with a new car going to service already.
wow... seal was separated and bent on a new GLK... crazy. my service department gave me the 2 year free service deal to keep me happy so I haven't had to pay for any service A or B yet. Then again, my GLK was my 5th car purchase from them so maybe they did it so they wouldn't lose me as a customer. I'd ask your dealer to do the same since you have been inconvenienced for not being able to enjoy your new car.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 PM

GLK
Good Idea!

I think Ill ask for sure. I love the car I just can not believe my luck. It seems any car I buy has some problem. From Acura, Jeep , and now Mercedes. I expected better from such a iconic company. Hopefully it's the last of my troubles.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM

GLK
So after all these years no more noise after they fixed the seal on your GLK. I hope they don't say it's my window seal next Ill be upset.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So after all these years no more noise after they fixed the seal on your GLK. I hope they don't say it's my window seal next Ill be upset.
correct... after all these years, no more noise after they fixed the seal.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM

GLK
correct... after all these years, no more noise after they fixed the seal.
So I take the car in today and they replace the entire heater box. I test drive car noise still there. They will keep car to place a felt seal around rubber seal MBUSA just released a fix. Funny thing is the Glk loaner they gave me makes no noise LOL. My luck is bad!!!!!

Last edited by jc00210; 04-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I take the car in today and they replace the entire heater box. I test drive car noise still there. They will keep car to place a felt seal around rubber seal MBUSA just released a fix. Funny thing is the Glk loaner they gave me makes no noise LOL. My luck is bad!!!!!
My dealer had to order stuff from Germany so they kept my car for a couple of weeks and that's when I complained and got the two year free service.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 PM

GLK
My dealer had to order stuff from Germany so they kept my car for a couple of weeks and that's when I complained and got the two year free service.
WOW couple of weeks thats crazy. Good thing they gave you the extension. Well I just got my car back today so far no noise at all. Perfectly quite Im happy because I was getting worried. I guess the felt they placed around seal worked. Now the bad news my car only has 342 miles and my wife already has a small nail in tire. My bad luck continues. I took out nail at tire shop no patch needed it looks at if it stayed in the upper tread. I guess Ill find out tomorrow morning when I wash the car if my tire is flat.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Glad you have that noise fixed.
I know it could be very annoying.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM

E350
Could you elaborate a bit on this? I have a noise that seems to fit this, and I need as much info as I can get before I bring it in. It's a little embarrassing (noise issues) as they could get an attitude I suppose, considering that it's so hard to pin down. If they where to try to ignore this, it would be unfortunate (for them)

Did you finally get rid of the noise?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM

2011 GLK350
Glad to know this!

I noticed load noise at high speed when driving my new GLK 350, and reported it in J.D. Power new owner survey in 2011. But, I did not discuss it w/ the dealer. Thanks to the forum, I will take the issue to my dealer.

Last edited by yaester40; 04-19-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM

2012 GLK350 4MATIC
GLK Whistling sound highway

Has anyone noticed a whistling noise above 50-60 MPH on the highway? Can't tell where it's starting from, but it's not the sunroof. Any ideas? I got a brand new 2012 with 15 miles on it when I noticed.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 AM

GLK
Provide them with the following update posted above. I made a copy and gave it to the dealer. Also make the service team ride with you. There is no denying a noise if you are in the car with them. MBUSA just put out a update and they are fixing the GLK with a felt strip around the heater box and it resolves the noise issues.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by mac jones
Could you elaborate a bit on this? I have a noise that seems to fit this, and I need as much info as I can get before I bring it in. It's a little embarrassing (noise issues) as they could get an attitude I suppose, considering that it's so hard to pin down. If they where to try to ignore this, it would be unfortunate (for them)

Did you finally get rid of the noise?

Yes the noise has been corrected felt placed around heater box seal.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:51 PM

GL450 dodge ram srt 10
I have a 2010 had nothing but trouble with mine crack rim broken set tracks car been making wind noise from day one they don't want to fix nothing I went to every benzs delir in the south bay I am going to try Torrance benzs to see what they say about the wind noise
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by Venoms
I have a 2010 had nothing but trouble with mine crack rim broken set tracks car been making wind noise from day one they don't want to fix nothing I went to every benzs delir in the south bay I am going to try Torrance benzs to see what they say about the wind noise
That's crazy call Mercedes national line and tell them that there is a service call for the heater box and your dealer does not have the update yet.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:45 AM

GLK 220

hello, what heating box do you mean? under the hood is a removable box above the battery. do you mean exactly the part that is removed or the part that is firmly attached to the car? some photos would be good for an idea of ​​which part is to be sealed, or where it is necessary to apply a seal.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
It’s under the dash, he did say remove the dash and remove ac and cooling fluid . A big expensive job
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 367 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Gsrjc hasn’t been back since 2015 according to stats, so getting an answer is unlikely. Last production of GLK (X204) was in 2015 so it’s also unlikely Mercedes will do anything about wind noise.

On an older car, the likely causes of wind noise are door seals, seals around mirrors and windows, gaps in windshield seal, sun roof seals.