GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Adaptive Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
GLK Adaptive Driving

I understand that the GLK actually adapts to one's driving style as it is being broken in.

How does it compensate for two people sharing the car?

It would be cool if it had multiple modes based on the seat memory selection; I assume this is not the case.

Any input?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
The adaptivness only relates to the shifting pattern of the auto transmission. It will be a compromise. Somewhere in between. No big deal.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
We share the car. I don't even know if there is anything that really adapts. I can barely tell difference between S and C mode of the tranny.

The only adaptation I can see is that when I floor it, car keeps RPMs much higher shortly after.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I figured it would not be a big deal; just wondered if there is anything cool to be aware of!

In truth, I tend to drive the GLK a bit more sedately than our G37 coupe; guess it's just the SUV vibe.

That said, I'm still that guy trying to get around you!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
yeah i'm doubful about any of this adaptive driving. I can't tell a big diff between the C and S setting either. I know the S starts off in 1st gear but overall the transmission is a step slow regardless compare to my other rides. The car just begs to be driven slow as its a comfortable ride push it a bit in corners and it totally trips over itself
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by phil17
yeah i'm doubful about any of this adaptive driving. I can't tell a big diff between the C and S setting either. I know the S starts off in 1st gear but overall the transmission is a step slow regardless compare to my other rides. The car just begs to be driven slow as its a comfortable ride push it a bit in corners and it totally trips over itself
Agree that tranny is slow, but once it kicks in the car is very lively. But the car can be pushed. I think on regular roads it's not about handling or 0-60. You can outrun almost everybody in a civic or corolla, and you can def. do it in a GLK. You just have to get used to duller handling and higher center of gravity.

Every time I think about getting a faster car, I think what's the point? I would not be able to drive much faster anyways.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Agree that tranny is slow, but once it kicks in the car is very lively. But the car can be pushed. I think on regular roads it's not about handling or 0-60. You can outrun almost everybody in a civic or corolla, and you can def. do it in a GLK. You just have to get used to duller handling and higher center of gravity.

Every time I think about getting a faster car, I think what's the point? I would not be able to drive much faster anyways.
It's not about driving 'faster' I think, it's about the acceleration...I had a custom build turbocharged Infiniti G20 before I sold it to get the GLK, and even though I hardly ever went 10-15 over the speed limit, oh boy was it fun accelerating to that point...
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Believe me...the adaptive learning (it's actually the throttle that is controlled) is real. It is linked to the computer and it adjusts the throttle to fit a driver's individual style. Use a lead foot to stomp the pedal and it learns to throw the throttle wide open (transmission will follow with a shift change) for quick performance. For more sedate pedal behavior (little old lady driving to church mode) the computer programs the throttle to open more gently (shifts are later) and produces higher fuel economy numbers . If an agressive driver gets into a car that has been driven gently, it will take about 200 miles of aggresive driving for the computer to relearn A gentle driver who gets into a car that has been driven aggressively will think that the car is lurching while accelerating. You can do a manual reset and start off w/ the factory...average setting). In any event, the computer will relearn how you drive.

Last edited by cindyclk; 09-23-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
The other person who drivers ours (hi honey) is, well, shall we say less than smooth behind the wheel? She drives it way more often than I do and I find that since it has mostly learned her style it makes it a bit jerky when I drive it.

The dealer said it actually has 3 modes, cold, warm, and hot, and they reset each of those.

That cleared up most of the issues I had with it. I am guessing it will be back to (her) normal style in a bit, but it has been a few hundred miles and it is still OK so maybe I am being a bit hard on the wife (hi again honey).

I think one poster in another thread mentioned issues with the transmission only when cold, so a reset on cold mode may help that.

I am not a fan of these sorts of adaptive systems. And not just for the reason that it plain doesn't work if more than one person drives the car (see above). In general, I wish the car would just do what it does consistently and let me get on with my job of driving it. It is not the computer's job. I know some people may disagree and say that it IS up to the computer to shift the transmission. OK, but it just needs to do so consistently so I can drive it in a normal manner.

Our ML was far worse. It tried to adapt to me. I then had to I adapt to it. It tried to adapt to me adapting to it. On one trip, I simply took my foot off the accelerator for a second or two and let it coast while I collected my thoughts in bewilderment - I wanted to get out of the car it was so frustrating! Last weekend I bought a 13-year old beater manual transmission truck for home improvement projects - and the transmission control unit (me) is far superior

But so far so good after the learning mode reset on our GLK. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The term *adaptive* is somewhat misleading. There is no A.I. or learning unlike my GT-R which does... it just repeats the same shift pattern based on simple acceleration inputs... that's it.... no BIG story here.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
I can feel a difference using C or S mode. S mode is more responsive and the transmission holds the gear longer before it shifts into the next higher gear.

Our other car, a BMW has "real his and her" keys. The key stores all the data, i.e seat position (when I open the car with my remote key after "she" drove it, the seats and mirror adjust automatically when I pull the door handle), heating/AC settings, as well as the "adapt" status.
It's nice, I like it better than the GLK key.....but than, there are other things I like with the GLK

Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by allanX204
I can feel a difference using C or S mode. S mode is more responsive and the transmission holds the gear longer before it shifts into the next higher gear.

Our other car, a BMW has "real his and her" keys. The key stores all the data, i.e seat position (when I open the car with my remote key after "she" drove it, the seats and mirror adjust automatically when I pull the door handle), heating/AC settings, as well as the "adapt" status.
It's nice, I like it better than the GLK key.....but than, there are other things I like with the GLK

This is simply a common algorithm change in the shift pattern programmed into the transmission.... but it is NOT *adaptive learning*.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
This is what Mercedes Says:

ADAPTIVE ELECTRONIC WIZARDRY

THE HEART OF ALL MERCEDES-BENZ AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS IS A HIGH-PERFORMANCE MICRO-PROCESSOR, WHICH IS DESIGNED SO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS AS THE DRIVER EXPECTS AND WISHES IT TO REACT. CONTINUOUS ELECTRONIC NETWORKING WITH THE ENGINE AND CHASSIS MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ALLOWS THE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER TO ADAPT TO A WIDE VARIETY OF DRIVING SITUATIONS, AND EVEN TO THE DRIVER’S STYLE.

BY COMPARING ROAD SPEED CHANGES AND LOAD, OR THROTTLE OPENING, THE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER CAN INSTANTLY DISCERN UPHILL AND DOWNHILL GRADES, AND ADJUST SHIFTING AS A RESULT. IT DELAYS UPSHIFTS ON DESCENTS (FOR ENGINE BRAKING), AS A DRIVER IS LIKELY TO DO WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. THE MICRO-PROCESSOR EVEN CONSIDERS CRUISE CONTROL AND ENGINE TEMPERATURE IN THE SHIFTING DECISION.

THE COMPUTER ALSO MEASURES HOW FAST THE DRIVER PRESSES AND RELEASES THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. IF THE PEDAL IS PRESSED RELATIVELY QUICKLY, THE TRANSMISSION IS MORE LIKELY TO DOWNSHIFT, FOR INSTANCE DURING SPORTY, MORE SPIRITED DRIVING, WHILE UPSHIFTS ARE LESS LIKELY WHEN THE PEDAL IS RELEASED QUICKLY. WITH NORMAL PEDAL OPERATION, SHIFTS OCCUR ACCORDING TO A BASIC PROGRAM AIMED AT GETTING THE BEST FUEL MILEAGE.

This is from
http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...transmissions/
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by MBRedux
This is simply a common algorithm change in the shift pattern programmed into the transmission.... but it is NOT *adaptive learning*.
Thanks. I'm aware of it. I just wanted to make the point that there is a difference between the C and S mode, which I feel.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
I don't have C on my 2011 GLK just E & S. Also anyone know why I can't set it in S mode perm? it reset back to E when ever engine restart. Manual doesn't explain to much in detail
Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C (Comfort) = E (Economy)

They all default to C/E when you start the car.

Last edited by rmfnla; 10-01-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I don't have C on my 2011 GLK just E & S. Also anyone know why I can't set it in S mode perm? it reset back to E when ever engine restart. Manual doesn't explain to much in detail
can't do that any more.

Only earlier models kept whatever mode is selected.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedRover
This is what Mercedes Says:

ADAPTIVE ELECTRONIC WIZARDRY

THE HEART OF ALL MERCEDES-BENZ AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS IS A HIGH-PERFORMANCE MICRO-PROCESSOR, WHICH IS DESIGNED SO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS AS THE DRIVER EXPECTS AND WISHES IT TO REACT. CONTINUOUS ELECTRONIC NETWORKING WITH THE ENGINE AND CHASSIS MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ALLOWS THE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER TO ADAPT TO A WIDE VARIETY OF DRIVING SITUATIONS, AND EVEN TO THE DRIVER’S STYLE.

BY COMPARING ROAD SPEED CHANGES AND LOAD, OR THROTTLE OPENING, THE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER CAN INSTANTLY DISCERN UPHILL AND DOWNHILL GRADES, AND ADJUST SHIFTING AS A RESULT. IT DELAYS UPSHIFTS ON DESCENTS (FOR ENGINE BRAKING), AS A DRIVER IS LIKELY TO DO WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. THE MICRO-PROCESSOR EVEN CONSIDERS CRUISE CONTROL AND ENGINE TEMPERATURE IN THE SHIFTING DECISION.

THE COMPUTER ALSO MEASURES HOW FAST THE DRIVER PRESSES AND RELEASES THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. IF THE PEDAL IS PRESSED RELATIVELY QUICKLY, THE TRANSMISSION IS MORE LIKELY TO DOWNSHIFT, FOR INSTANCE DURING SPORTY, MORE SPIRITED DRIVING, WHILE UPSHIFTS ARE LESS LIKELY WHEN THE PEDAL IS RELEASED QUICKLY. WITH NORMAL PEDAL OPERATION, SHIFTS OCCUR ACCORDING TO A BASIC PROGRAM AIMED AT GETTING THE BEST FUEL MILEAGE.

This is from
http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...transmissions/
This is correct... and is exactly what I said.... it's also how 99% of all trannies in this class work. To get a true adaptive learning auto transmissions, you would need to spend at least double.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C280 4Matic, 2011 E92 335i
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
I find that since it has mostly learned her style it makes it a bit jerky when I drive it.

The dealer said it actually has 3 modes, cold, warm, and hot, and they reset each of those.

But so far so good after the learning mode reset on our GLK. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Good to know, my GLK is getting jerkier and jerkier everyday. Even my c-class... I will get both of my cars' transmission resetted soon.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
No need to go to service....do it yourself.

1. Turn the igniiton key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.

2. Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.

3. Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.

4. Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.

The ECU rest procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.