GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Service A & other issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4matic and my favorite Vintage 1982 PK Ripper Looptail
Unhappy Service A & other issues

I brought the GLK in for Service A after 1 year with 9560kms.

Total cost for Service A = $290.73 before taxes (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- 146.50 labor
- 24.80 oil filter
- 78.40 Mobil1 5w40 x 8 liters
- 1.19 sealing ring
- 10.71 cleaning compound
- 3.72 washer solvent
- 12.59 fuel additives
- 12.82 shop supplies
They quoted me approx $365 ........ so, I am happy that it is below approx.

Other issues I had with GLK within the past year (most issues happened within the 1st month, I didn't address them until now.)

1 ) Headlamp eyebrows fog up and heavy condensation when raining
MB response: could not duplicate problem, it is normal to fog up and go away after 15mins.
My response: I show them pictures and told them it takes approx 2hrs to go away.
MB Response: they told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if it keeps happening...well, it is happening.....I am not satisfied with answer.

2 ) Brakes squeal at times when braking
MB response: service front & rear brake pads
My response: while driving home, brakes squeal again. I am not happy

3 ) Whining noise heard at times when accelerating up to 30kph with radio off
MB response: whining noise is generated by power steering pump at times. Slow leak found at power steering fluid reservoir to pump O ring seal. Replace sealing O ring
My response: I am happy they found a different problem, but when I drove home, the same whining is still there. It drives me crazy, I am not happy.

4 ) Driver wiper drags rain across windshield, hard to see when raining hard
MB response: changes wiper blades
My response: I am happy I got 2 free wiper blades, but I know the problem is design of the windshield.

Conclusion: Overall I am not happy because all the above issues are still there. Either they can't duplicate problem or they have no solution for problems. I love the GLK, but my other cars do not have the above issues (BMW, Honda). I guess I just needed to vent.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
which service center was this at?
however,
1) possibly the headlight seals have a bit of problem?
2) after you wash your rims/tires, some of the cleaners get onto the disk brakes and it does create quite a squeal as it happens alot on my mazda 5 after i finish washing it. try to go a few meters with parking brakes on and run again (try to clear the surfaces with it)
3) whining noise could possibly be some belts in the engine bay as it happens during acceleration.
4)Havent had that happen on me since my GLK is new but it worked fine during today's rain anyhow.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
1) was a common problem with some batches of GLKs. The solution was posted by MBRedux. I'd search for that.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
What do they do for that Service A? It seems like they charged $290 to do an oil change...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by koojo
What do they do for that Service A? It seems like they charged $290 to do an oil change...
You are right....it is basically a $290 oil change
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by GLKster
You are right....it is basically a $290 oil change
Looks like I'll be buying an oil pan for the next oil change.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by kyoshiro
which service center was this at?
however,
1) possibly the headlight seals have a bit of problem?
2) after you wash your rims/tires, some of the cleaners get onto the disk brakes and it does create quite a squeal as it happens alot on my mazda 5 after i finish washing it. try to go a few meters with parking brakes on and run again (try to clear the surfaces with it)
3) whining noise could possibly be some belts in the engine bay as it happens during acceleration.
4)Havent had that happen on me since my GLK is new but it worked fine during today's rain anyhow.
It is the Broadway location.
The only issue that really bothers me is the #3 whining noise. It sounds like a bad stereo installation that wasn't grounded probably. The whining noise will go higher pitch as I accelerate. After I hit about 30kms, the road noise, engine noise will mask it. I don't have time to bring it back, all they will say is that they don't hear the noise or it is normal. I like to test drive another GLK next time and prove it to them it is not normal.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
yeah wait until the B service.....$650!!! i'm 3500 miles away.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
Originally Posted by veerodder
it isn't too bad compared to paying 60 bucks * 3 + 200 bucks every year for a Japanese car to retain its warranty
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
I had my oil changed at independent MB shop. They filled all my fluids, checked everything, said tires did not need ration (I had just missed the free one at max 5K miles), and it cost me about $160.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Mobile service A

Had this done yesterday at my home.
Parts $ 170
Labour $ 130
Took about an hour
Included an extra quart of oil and a pair of MB wipers.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM

2014 ML350
Originally Posted by veerodder
Wow got mine done for 278 out the door with a 100 dollar coupon though.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Man, I'm so happy I do all this stuff myself... what a rip-off the dealers are. First, the filter is about $16.00 US with the ring. Second, the oil is about $30-$35.00 US max, and third, all the rest, the fuel additives, cleaning compounds (what the heck is that used for anyways?) the solvents and other shop supplies etc. is all pure Bull Sh** that's never used other than jacking up the price! Essentially you all are getting taken to the cleaners for a high class oil change and then "feeling happy" about it when it's lower than their fake inflated original quote! Wow...........

Last edited by MBRedux; 10-25-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Man, I'm so happy I do all this stuff myself... what a rip-off the dealers are. First, the filter is about $16.00 US with the ring. Second, the oil is about $30-$35.00 US max, and third, all the rest, the fuel additives, cleaning compounds (what the heck is that used for anyways?) the solvents and other shop supplies etc. is all pure Bull Sh** that's never used other than jacking up the price! Essentially you all are getting taken to the cleaners for a high class oil change and then "feeling happy" about it when it's lower than their fake inflated original quote! Wow...........
Yep exactly. Some people fell better when they disk out $200+ for a service.. because hey, if its expensive, it must be good right? lol
Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Change your own oil and filter, eyeball the brake pads, and then look under the car for any leaks*, inspect the tread on your tires, rotate if necessary, then reset your service indicator with this procedure: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sh...04_reset_2.pdf and save yourself a bundle.

* If trouble is found, then take it to the dealer unles you're trained in auto repairs.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLKster
I brought the GLK in for Service A after 1 year with 9560kms.

Total cost for Service A = $290.73 before taxes (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- 146.50 labor
- 24.80 oil filter
- 78.40 Mobil1 5w40 x 8 liters
- 1.19 sealing ring
- 10.71 cleaning compound
- 3.72 washer solvent
- 12.59 fuel additives
- 12.82 shop supplies
They quoted me approx $365 ........ so, I am happy that it is below approx.
SEE ABOVE POST... SORRY I WAS HARD ON YOU!

Other issues I had with GLK within the past year (most issues happened within the 1st month, I didn't address them until now.)
1 ) Headlamp eyebrows fog up and heavy condensation when raining
MB response: could not duplicate problem, it is normal to fog up and go away after 15mins.

There is a post on a probable cause. Search the forum for *Headlight Fogging Up* I'll look for you too. (Edit: Here I found it: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ht-thread.html )

My response: I show them pictures and told them it takes approx 2hrs to go away.
MB Response: they told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if it keeps happening...well, it is happening.....I am not satisfied with answer.

2 ) Brakes squeal at times when braking
MB response: service front & rear brake pads
My response: while driving home, brakes squeal again. I am not happy

Most dealers don't really know how to fix this... I do... it requires a lot of work. The brakes will still work though.

3 ) Whining noise heard at times when accelerating up to 30kph with radio off
MB response: whining noise is generated by power steering pump at times. Slow leak found at power steering fluid reservoir to pump O ring seal. Replace sealing O ring
My response: I am happy they found a different problem, but when I drove home, the same whining is still there. It drives me crazy, I am not happy.

Boy these guys are true BS story tellers. That noise could be the tranny too.... there were some that reported this.

4 ) Driver wiper drags rain across windshield, hard to see when raining hard
MB response: changes wiper blades
My response: I am happy I got 2 free wiper blades, but I know the problem is design of the windshield.

Not exactly. Have you ever used Rain-X on this car? If so, you ruined your windshield. It causes blade jidder. It can be taken off but it is time consuming. If not, polish your windshield with glass polish and clean your w-blades with denatured alcohol once in awhile.
Conclusion: Overall I am not happy because all the above issues are still there. Either they can't duplicate problem or they have no solution for problems. I love the GLK, but my other cars do not have the above issues (BMW, Honda). I guess I just needed to vent.

See above...

Last edited by MBRedux; 10-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM

glk250
I'm taking my car in on Tuesday for the Service A after one year and 8,250 miles. I was originally quoted $345 for the service. When I told them that another dealer was offering a special at $199., they told me that Service A was actually $260., but they would match the price being offered by another dealer. Yes, Service A is basically an oil change. I was told that they usually have to add 5 gallons of ad-blue on the blutek and that would be about a $40 charge on top of the other service. We have had many of the same issues listed above, including the whining noise. We had a very scary issue on the fourth of July when the rubber seal around the top of the windshield inadvertently came loose and began to whip on the roof of the car. We were on the freeway and my husband and I both thought that something had hit our car. We had the sunroof closed at the time, but when we opened it to see what was going on, we realized that it was the rubber seal around the windshield coming loose. We slowed down and tried to pull over, but the seal came off before we could. It flew over our car onto the freeway. I can't imagine what this rubber piece would have looked like to the car behind us. When we took the car in to be repaired, the service dept said that they'd been seeing this happen to quite a few GLK 250's and 350's. He said they had one in the shop just a few days ago. He told me that they thought they were defective seals from the factory. He brushed it off. It was actually very unnerving when it happened so suddenly. My husband personally washes the car often, so never noticed it becoming loose, etc. I suggest asking your service dept. to replace yours before you have the unfortunate experience. If a motorcyclist had been behind me, this rubber seal hitting him could have been enough to cause an accident!