GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Ready to order, spot check?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eventual GLK?
Ready to order, spot check?

Hey folks. New to the forum. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a new GLK. Not sure if I should wait until late January to test drive the 2011 X3. Here's my build order from mbusa.com:

Exterior:Metallic Capri Blue $720
Interior:Black MB-Tex $0
Trim:Aluminum Trim $320

Packages

4MATIC All-Wheel Drive Package $2,000
Premium 1 Package$3,200
AMG Styling Package $1,990
Lighting Package $985
Multimedia Package $3,000

Options

Heated front seats $750
Panorama sunroof with electric sunshade Included with package
KEYLESS-GO $1,140
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Included with package
COMAND system with HD navigation and real-time SIRIUS(R) Traffic Included with package
Chrome Package $550
Accessory Styling Package $1,200
Chrome Door Handle Inserts Included with package

I'm not interested in the speaker upgrade. I plan on something aftermarket.

Not sure about:
1) color choice
2) accessory styling package
3) chrome package

Can the hitch be installed by MB when the car is built or can it be installed after? Would any aftermarket hitch work? Does the hitch fit with the AMG bumper? Does the hitch (without tongue) look wonky or is it hidden?

I tried searching for "hitch" under all forums and found no results. That must be wrong, but the search doesn't appear to be working properly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by mbthom; 11-11-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by mbthom
Hey folks. New to the forum. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a new GLK. Not sure if I should wait until late January to test drive the 2011 X3. Here's my build order from mbusa.com:

Exterior:Metallic Capri Blue $720
Interior:Black MB-Tex $0
Trim:Aluminum Trim $320

Packages

4MATIC All-Wheel Drive Package $2,000
Premium 1 Package$3,200
AMG Styling Package $1,990
Lighting Package $985
Multimedia Package $3,000

Options

Heated front seats $750
Panorama sunroof with electric sunshade Included with package
KEYLESS-GO $1,140 (Way over priced in my opinion)
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Included with package
COMAND system with HD navigation and real-time SIRIUS(R) Traffic Included with package (We're not very happy with MB Navi. JD Powers just had GLK owners fill out a survey on it.)
Chrome Package $550
Accessory Styling Package $1,200 (Is this the AMG stuff? If not, it's not worth it IMO.)
Chrome Door Handle Inserts Included with package

I'm not interested in the speaker upgrade. I plan on something aftermarket. (I agree!)

Not sure about:
1) color choice (I like the color choice. Looks great with the AMG body kit.)
2) accessory styling package (See above, save your $.)
3) chrome package (Ditto)

Can the hitch be installed by MB when the car is built or can it be installed after? (Most are installed at the dealer.) Would any aftermarket hitch work? (No) Does the hitch fit with the AMG bumper? (This is a good question. I would think MB woulkd have one for the car equipped with the AMG body kit.) Does the hitch (without tongue) look wonky or is it hidden?

I tried searching for "hitch" under all forums and found no results. That must be wrong, but the search doesn't appear to be working properly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
See above.

Congrats!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Eventual GLK?
Thanks MBRedux

ASPE Accessory Styling Package - $1,200
Front spoiler; Rear diffuser; Roof spoiler;

CHRP Chrome Package - $550
Chrome/bright trim on bumpers and on rear; Chrome fog lamp and rear hatch and Chrome door handle inserts; Requires: [ASPE] Accessory Styling Package

Does anybody have a clear picture of the the front spoiler, diffuser, roof spoiler etc? It would be nice if MB showed some side by side comparisons. They seem intentionally vague.. to get customers to check the boxes?

I'm not sold on the multimedia package either. My reasoning was to get it, keep the stock MB look/feel/navigation, tap into the speaker wires with something like the JL Audio Cleansweep, and run aftermarket speakers/subs/amps.

I've been out of the car audio game for about 10 years so I don't have much confidence in my decisions.

I'm weary of an aftermarket double DIN head unit (with or without nav) looking out of place. I've looked around the internets and haven't seen much in terms of inspiring GLKs.

I'd love to hide the subwoofer (JL Audio Stealthbox type thing) and hide the amp(s) but I don't know where they could go. I saw one guy replace the factory sub in the left rear hatch area with a custom box. That was pretty slick, but I wonder a) if the box has enough volume and b) how the sub sounds sitting in an abnormally shaped box.

Do new receivers put out enough to power for aftermarket speakers or will do they still need their own amp?

Long ago I rocked 3 10" JL Audio Subs and Infinity Kappa speakers. It sounded nice. The electrical system couldn't always keep up and, at the time, the best idea was adding a capacitor (which I now realize is just a bandaid for an underlying electrical deficiency). I won't do anything crazy in the GLK, probably 50Wx4 to the speakers and 300W to the sub. Please tell me I won't need to beef up the alternator or anything like that?

Thanks for any feedback gents.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Agree that keyless if way overpriced, I'd rather add aftermarket remote starter for that money.

I like COMMAND with sirius and many claim traffic updates to work well (I don't have traffic)

OEM hitch is NOT installed at the dealer unless you want to pay couple grand for it. If you ever use it, it's def worth 540 dollars. My car came with it from the factory and no wonder dealers charge thousands to replicated this work.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM

2011 GLK350
Can the hitch be installed by MB when the car is built or can it be installed after? Would any aftermarket hitch work? Does the hitch fit with the AMG bumper? Does the hitch (without tongue) look wonky or is it hidden?
I can't answer you yet, but I'll be getting my GLK in a week or less (about 3-4 weeks later than M-B suggested!), and it has the AMG package. It's on a train from Halifax to Vancouver right now!

Once I get it, I'll be going straight to an installer to get an aftermarket hitch installed. Here's the thread I started with the makes/models I found:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ch-thread.html

I'm not using the OEM hitch because I need a 2" receiver and OEM is 1 1/4", so all of the models above are 2". I found an installer in the Vancouver area who will charge $40 for the install and they take the risk - if it doesn't fit they keep the hitch and charge nothing. I'll post up pics when it's done.

Kn.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Ken, I would be very careful about $40 dollar install, just doesn't sound right. It might fit fine, but durability can't be seen right away. I can post some pics of how OEM hitch connects to the frame. There is huge metal bar behid the bumper attached to the frame that hold the hitch.

Cheap install might cost you much more later on esp. since you are planning to put heavier load on it. I bet those bikes are expensive.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM

2011 GLK350
Yah, I know what you're saying. Just to be perfectly clear, to 40 bucks is for installation of the hitch only, not for any wiring harness work. Since I'm using for bike rack only, I don't need it. The installer has been in the Vancouver area for a long time and they're a good company, not just some dingy place in a cheap corner of the city!

The Hidden Hitch model uses existing holes and the instructions say 20 minutes to install, so even if I allow the installer 30 minutes, the 40 works out to a $80/hr rate so seems about right to me.

I particularly like the design of the HH system because it has the bar that passes under the fuel tank and connects to an oval hole in the crossmember over the rear axle. That will work well for counteracting the torsional forces you get from the bike rack - very different from the forces from towing a trailer load.

Kn.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by KenNinBC
Yah, I know what you're saying. Just to be perfectly clear, to 40 bucks is for installation of the hitch only, not for any wiring harness work. Since I'm using for bike rack only, I don't need it. The installer has been in the Vancouver area for a long time and they're a good company, not just some dingy place in a cheap corner of the city!

The Hidden Hitch model uses existing holes and the instructions say 20 minutes to install, so even if I allow the installer 30 minutes, the 40 works out to a $80/hr rate so seems about right to me.

I particularly like the design of the HH system because it has the bar that passes under the fuel tank and connects to an oval hole in the crossmember over the rear axle. That will work well for counteracting the torsional forces you get from the bike rack - very different from the forces from towing a trailer load.

Kn.
Hey Ken, I am from Vancouver too. Could you tell me where are you gonna install the hitch? I am looking for installing an aftermarket hitch for 2 mountain bikes too. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Eventual GLK?
My last post was pretty verbose and I didn't get feedback on a few things. Some random GLK questions I still have:

Does anybody have pics of the Accessory Styling Package? ($1,200 Front spoiler; Rear diffuser; Roof spoiler)

Has anybody seen the factory head unit replaced with a double din receiver? Yay/nay?

Can the factory electrical system of the GLK handle the load of two amps pulling 50Wx4 and 300Wx1?

Does the GLK have space somewhere to hide a sub? Is there somewhere for 1 or 2 amps that would be hidden and wouldn't get too hot?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
there is a thread on the aftermarket sub i belive
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-write-up.html

I think if you are getting AMG package you can't get styling packages, there was a thread with pictures. Styling package is nothing special just a few stick on platic pieces.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 PM

S600,GLK350,528i,G35,X3,C320,330i
Get the OEM hitch! For the price it's quite reasonable. OEM hitch comes with other MB factory upgrades as well.

After market they would charge about $250-$400 US for just installed a hitch (electrical parts and wiring extra) without those factory upgrades.

Last edited by 3Stars; 11-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
I would certainly have waited for the new X3 - it's nice!

The GLK: If you have an option with regards to wheels/tires sizes, opt in accordance with your requirements i.e the road conditions where you are driving in general. It may make a difference
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by 3Stars
Get the OEM hitch! For the price it's quite reasonable. OEM hitch comes with other MB factory upgrades as well.
Yah but for me, as I stated, a 1 1/4 receiver just won't do.

Originally Posted by ryhchan
Hey Ken, I am from Vancouver too. Could you tell me where are you gonna install the hitch? I am looking for installing an aftermarket hitch for 2 mountain bikes too. Thanks!
Check your pm's!

Kn.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by KenNinBC
Yah but for me, as I stated, a 1 1/4 receiver just won't do.

Kn.
Dude it's not your thread haha, he was prolly referring to the original post.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
the roof spoiler is a small extension, I have a post on this forum that shows it an the AMG pckg,, I'd pass on the chrome package and just get the chrome door inserts, they protect form fingernail scratcher I believe they are $90, do you really need the sunroof, or the keyless go?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I'd pass on ANYTHING* that the DEALER can use to rip you off.

*Translation: That's all the aftermarket junk, (including the chrome door inserts that look ugly anyways IMO) that they charge SUPER high premiums on.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Eventual GLK?
Thanks everybody for the help. I've asked a few dealers to see if they can find something close to my specs in stock. If not, I'll just build it and wait.

Exterior:Metallic Capri Blue (or Metallic Black, Steel Gray, Palladium)
Interior:Black MB-Tex
Trim:Aluminum Trim

Packages

4MATIC All-Wheel Drive Package
Premium 1 Package
AMG Styling Package
Lighting Package
Multimedia Package

Options

Trailer Hitch
Heated front seats
KEYLESS-GO (not a requirement)

NO Chrome Package
NO Accessory Styling Package

---------------

I asked a few salesman about the "winter event" and got a few different answers. One guy said bluntly, "I can get you about 7-8% off MSRP" while another guy said, "I can only offer special financing rates." Does anybody have any experiences purchasing during the Winter Event? What can I really expect?

I'm in the Chicago area and I have a few MB dealerships I can purchase from. What is a fair price to pay for the GLK sans TTL? I'm not interested in haggling for a 'rock bottom' type deal..

I've never bought a car from a dealer. Are they really going to offer me extra crap like "rustproofing" or double-charge shipping/handling, etc? What else should I look out for?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to contributing to this forum once I'm not a noob.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
should be able to get it for invoice, which is about 7% off MSRP and get their special financing. My dealer was able to search entire east coast for the car with options I wanted. Found something very close on boat enroute to Colorado, he was able to intercept that car and have it shipped to NJ from the port instead of Colorado.

Also my dealer didn't really care much if I was to take car off the lot or have it built. I think in some cases dealer migh be willing to give better deal on a car they can't sell. I got 7% off without any negotiations. Trade-in was a rip off, but I sold old car myself. I read that best time is go end of the month, even better end of quarter/year. Also, just email dealers for quotes and see who gets better deal. Ppl get best deals not leaving their home. This way you can email many dealers far away from you and only go there to pick up your car.

Don't get any other extras from dealers. The only thing I got was wheel/tire insurance for 1000 which can be rolled into your special financing so that only added 20 bux a month. Unless you have REALLY crappy roans I'd skip it. Stock 20 Pirrellis are pretty good. But do keep in mind stock wheel/tire combo costs over a grand EACH.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Eventual GLK?
Got some feedback from a dealer. Besides the exterior color choice, aluminum trim, lighting package, and keyless go (which I don't care too much about) are the limiting factors. He took out keyless go and found one match: black/black with everything I want + running boards.

I don't feel strongly about the running boards.. would prefer it without them, but not a deal breaker.

Not super keen on the regular black. Unless you guys can convince me it has magical superpowers over the enchanting beauty of Metallic Black, Blue, Steel Gray, or Palladium.

To build or not to build..

Last edited by mbthom; 11-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
it does have super magical powers of being unique as most of us have metallic paints (which also costs an extra 1k?) LOL
but with proper care, any black car can look amazing. you will need to keep it more clean unlike metallic black
Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
take it if deal is good. You'll have to wait at least 2-3 month to get one built for you.

Let's be honest here, darker color will be dirty most of the time so doesn't matter if it's metallic or not. But if your car is clean that will make it look good regardless of the color choice. I'm fan of mettalic paint but if this is the only sacrafice you have to make, that's pretty damn good.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Eventual GLK?
Well, I've decided to build it and wait. The sales guy is giving me the same price (slightly under invoice) to custom order it with an estimated delivery date of mid February.

Still not sure what color I'll go with. To be honest, I talked myself into the regular black. It will be a game time decision tomorrow. I know I'm going with black MB-tex and aluminum trim interior, so I'll listen to any suggestions you guys throw out there.

The front runners are Black, Metallic Black, Capri Blue, and Steel Gray.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Metallic Black with Beige Interior / Capri Blue with Black Interior

Gray is dull.

Solid black is too... common.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'm not fan of steel gray either. Black is nice if you can keep it clean, same goes for beige interior.

I would go with Metalic Black from your choices.

See this https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...or-thread.html for more pics of colors, there are quite a few black ones there.

Here is Silver Gray

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM

-
Plz delete/ignore. I wanted a different username and I was still signed in on a different PC.

Last edited by thomer; 11-19-2010 at 09:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready to order, spot check?