GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2011 x3 vs 2011 glk vx 2011 q5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't have one
2011 x3 vs 2011 glk vx 2011 q5

So I'm in the market to buy a car within the next month. I've done a lot of research and I'm partial to the GLK mostly because of its exterior styling, and price. But I've seen many reviews on these 3 cars. Mostly I gained interest in the other cars while searching for information on the GLK.

The GLK wins hands down in looks to me, but the reviews seem to suggest that the drive on the GLK is sub par for the class, and that worries me. Also the interior styling is a little uninspired on the GLK. I will be using this vehicle for skiing, camping, surfing and holding a dog, so the Sports aspect is important to me, which is why I'm shopping for an SUV. The luxury aspect is not so important too me but I gravitated to the GLK because is the most distinct and attractive SUV on the market comparing all suvs not just luxury ones. It seems that regardless of class, cars seem to all look the same these days.

The Q5 in what I've researched has great reviews for it's drive when compared to the GLK and consistently wins best in class. I love the interior of audis but the Q5 on the outside looks bloated and blobby and really doesn't look like a compact SUV (another criteria on my list, compact)

The new 2011 x3, doesn't have a lot of info on it, I hated the old x3 and the x5 as their designs are uninspired, but the new one does look better, not great but much better. The interior also looks good, much better than the GLK, which I think is the weakest of the three in that dept. But the new x3 is much larger than the old on, in fact its almost as large as an old x5 which makes little sense to me considering this a compact market. Does anyone know anything about the 2011 x3 vs the glk. Thoughts? I'm looking more for objective rather than fanboy responses.

My GLK concerns are the driving experience, and the interior. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
The X3 grew in size because an X1 is on its way soon.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Go test drive one and decide for yourself instead of reading reviews. It all depends what you are comparing to and what conditions you drive in. Don't let magazines bias you, just go and drive one first then read about it the test drive it again.

I test drove BMW135 and 335, Audi A4, Infiniti G37 and FX37. With the roads around me I went for higher clearance and AWD. I loved 335 but just don't have roads to enjoy it and there are more 3 series bimmers than Camrys.

FX35 had best interior IMO.

I like GLK's simple interior, a few parts feel cheap, but overall it's good.

As far as handling, it feels great for an SUV. I either drive on local crappy roads or straight highways, so handling doesn't matter much. Still I take ramps passing many cars with much better handling...as they say it's not about what you drive it's about how you drive.

I also did a few long (5-8 hour) trips and car is great with comfortable ride. 80-90mph is car's sweet spot speed. Just wish for bigger gas tank.

Bottom line, when I see Q5, FX35, or even 335 I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Love the Q5's driving manners better. We own both.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
if only audi made the q5 look like that professional moded one, in the pic. they need do ditch the balloony tires, get better rims and drop it a little. then maybe i'd consider....even their top of line, s-line is average looking at best..
Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Remember, "looks" isn't everything!

PS: That pix is a PS'd concept of the new 5s, which is hitting dealerships as I type. My son just purchased those 20" wheels (reps) for his. Three month BO.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
My $10,000 BMW Radiator

For What It's Worth -- You can read my BMW horror story at

http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/radiator/

I've been in the BMW camp for 40+ years -- my 1st one was a 1968 BMW 2002 that I bought new. I am the original webmaster of the BMW CCA website and a former Chapter President and Oktoberfest Co-chair.

Admittedly, I screwed up, but I will never forgive BMW for making me spend $10,000 for a new engine after a radiator failure -- while still under warranty!

So you can infer that if I were you, I'd narrow my choices.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I am sure that we all have our own horror stories although SLK55's is something else. I fit 4 large adults in my GLK with no problem and everyone says they are comfortable. The ride is very good, the MPG's are great. The pix above of the Q5 is great but you can dress up any car to suit your own taste. But if it weren't for size I would pick the FX other than that IMO the GLK is the answer.

Last edited by MKenM; 11-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

2011 E63
I was considering the 2011 GLK for my wife until I drove the 2011 X3. Go drive them back to back and you'll see what I'm talking about. We now have a new 2011 x3 parked in the drive.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by jdfj316
I was considering the 2011 GLK for my wife until I drove the 2011 X3. Go drive them back to back and you'll see what I'm talking about. We now have a new 2011 x3 parked in the drive.
Are you that happy with your new X3 that you feel obligated to let everyone know in a Benz forum?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
X3 has good pricing and good options.

New derisgn looks like a re-fresh (at least in pics) and is not my cup of tea.

Such good pricing would make me worry about cost cutting and quality issues down the road. BMW is not known for its realibility to begin with...main reason I didn't get 335 as closest dealer is 30min away.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM

2011 E63
The new X3 is a whole new car. As far a good pricing at $48000 I really thought it was kinda high and more expensive than the GLK. I have owned several BMW's over the years and have not had any problems with any of them. I like the Benz also, enough in fact that I bought a $72000 E63. Both make great cars I just happen to like the X3 better than the GLK and happened to like the E63 better than the M5. So each to his own.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Some mental notes...
I just got a base glk for $35K. Love it.
Remembering the days of the audi 100ls and 5000 I swore I would never own an audi car, saab niether.
BMWs are not undependable. In fact, quite the opposite. I have a 3-series that is bulletproof and my daughter has a X3, they are very nice driving automobiles.
Had a volvo V50, very nice car, so considered the XC60. They are too 'volvo' for my taste.
To me the glk is nicer looking and more refined than all of them. I did not drive an x3 or xc60.
The glk has a very nice drive though, very quiet and smooth, and surprising performance for a 2 ton mini 'ute.
My second and third choice was the gm products, srx, equinox, and terrain. Their six cyl just does not compare to the mbz with 7spd auto.
The cad is nicer inside but doesn't ride or drive anything like the glk. And more money.
I did not want all of the electronics so chose a base model with a roof.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Originally Posted by CJBROWN
Some mental notes...
I just got a base glk for $35K. Love it.
Remembering the days of the audi 100ls and 5000 I swore I would never own an audi car, saab niether.
BMWs are not undependable. In fact, quite the opposite. I have a 3-series that is bulletproof and my daughter has a X3, they are very nice driving automobiles.
Had a volvo V50, very nice car, so considered the XC60. They are too 'volvo' for my taste.
To me the glk is nicer looking and more refined than all of them. I did not drive an x3 or xc60.
The glk has a very nice drive though, very quiet and smooth, and surprising performance for a 2 ton mini 'ute.
My second and third choice was the gm products, srx, equinox, and terrain. Their six cyl just does not compare to the mbz with 7spd auto.
The cad is nicer inside but doesn't ride or drive anything like the glk. And more money.
I did not want all of the electronics so chose a base model with a roof.
My wife had an 09 X3. Great car to drive, fast and with excellent handling. The car also was extremely practical, with slightly more space for passengers and MUCH more space for cargo than the GLK. She drove it for 52,000 trouble-free miles, and then just after the warranty expired, so did the car. Check engine light that the dealer insists is her not tightening the gas cap, and that an independent shop incorrectly diagnosed as some sort of pump (DTML I think). Fixed three times and still, after 300 miles of repair, the check engine light is back.

Next to go at 53,000 was the AWD transfer case. My suspicion is that the free maintenance was actually designed not to maintain the car, but to stretch services out so far as to save BMW every possible penny while ensuring that the car would (barely) survive the 50,000 mile warranty.

Rather than fix the X3, we traded it in on a new 2012 GLK 4Matic.

The GLK is smaller in the rear seat area, MUCH smaller in the cargo area, but actually rides better and handles just as well. It feels much better assembled and just like a higher quality product.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by asiafish
My wife had an 09 X3. Great car to drive, fast and with excellent handling. The car also was extremely practical, with slightly more space for passengers and MUCH more space for cargo than the GLK. She drove it for 52,000 trouble-free miles, and then just after the warranty expired, so did the car. Check engine light that the dealer insists is her not tightening the gas cap, and that an independent shop incorrectly diagnosed as some sort of pump (DTML I think). Fixed three times and still, after 300 miles of repair, the check engine light is back.

Next to go at 53,000 was the AWD transfer case. My suspicion is that the free maintenance was actually designed not to maintain the car, but to stretch services out so far as to save BMW every possible penny while ensuring that the car would (barely) survive the 50,000 mile warranty.

Rather than fix the X3, we traded it in on a new 2012 GLK 4Matic.

The GLK is smaller in the rear seat area, MUCH smaller in the cargo area, but actually rides better and handles just as well. It feels much better assembled and just like a higher quality product.
This is typical of some maintenance intervals with cars these days, and BMW with their free service plan seems to be some of the worst.

We also have a 3-series that I do maintenance on at half their intervals and it has been an excellent car (104K now) with zero component issues. However I have probably spent two or three thousand on parts for it to keep it up over those miles. I imagine having it serviced at the dealer could easily have been four or five times that.

BMW's tend to handle better, being a more spritely performer, at least the 3-series, but MBZ seems like it's a little more solid. Maybe that's just a feeling I get after getting to know them well. Its all kind of subjective really. I've only owned one BMW but 5 MB's now.

Too bad on the expensive failures though, nothing worse with any car.

MY GLK is just over a year old today, 9800miles and I still like it just as well as the day I bought it. No quirks or smoking guns, has not been back to the dealer for anything ('cept a new windshield). Same deal here though, changed the oil at 4500 and will do it again now. That's half the mfr's recommended OCI.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by jdfj316
I never even looked at an X3 or 335i, initially I thought I wanted one but there are far too many on the roads up here in Calgary, just as many as civics. When you are spending all the money to own one of these luxury cars, nice to have something a little unique....

Audi's are ok, not fond of the styling on the Q5 as it looks too bubbly and cute ute. However that being said, all the reviews liked it better and I am sure it is an amazing driving SUV. I had previously owned a 2009 VW GTI (same family as Audi) and the one nice thing about brands like Mercedes, they are stand alone brands. When you look at an Audi, it has similar, if not exact same parts as its Volkswagen cousins which detracts from the value IMO.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by CJBROWN
This is typical of some maintenance intervals with cars these days, and BMW with their free service plan seems to be some of the worst.

We also have a 3-series that I do maintenance on at half their intervals and it has been an excellent car (104K now) with zero component issues. However I have probably spent two or three thousand on parts for it to keep it up over those miles. I imagine having it serviced at the dealer could easily have been four or five times that.

BMW's tend to handle better, being a more spritely performer, at least the 3-series, but MBZ seems like it's a little more solid. Maybe that's just a feeling I get after getting to know them well. Its all kind of subjective really. I've only owned one BMW but 5 MB's now.

Too bad on the expensive failures though, nothing worse with any car.

MY GLK is just over a year old today, 9800miles and I still like it just as well as the day I bought it. No quirks or smoking guns, has not been back to the dealer for anything ('cept a new windshield). Same deal here though, changed the oil at 4500 and will do it again now. That's half the mfr's recommended OCI.
What upset me was BMW's refusal to good-will the repairs despite the fact the warranty was only exceeded slightly. This was especially bad as the speedometer (and therefore odometer) read 8% fast since new. BMW considers any error under 10% as within spec, but despite the odometer showing 53,000 miles, the actually has travelled less than 50,000 road miles.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Did you look at the RR Evoque? I was wondering what people thought. After 20 years of Rovers I got fed up with thing being to complex and going bad, but maybe this new design is better being owned by Tatra
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by bop11
Did you look at the RR Evoque? I was wondering what people thought. After 20 years of Rovers I got fed up with thing being to complex and going bad, but maybe this new design is better being owned by Tatra
Better than Mercedes-Benz? I doubt it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
We did look @ the EVOQUE when we were shopping back in October 2011.
Our thoughts are while the design was head turning, it was impractical ie small inside.
The fit & finish & material were top notch.
Fuel economy was excellent.
& off course their off-terrain handling performance is second to none.

But it was heavy on Porsche style ala carte customization & that easily could push the car past $50K.

Not worth it for a mini Crossover.

Last edited by MBNA109; 01-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 AM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
In my experience with Mercedes overall its an outstanding car and when i talk about GLK i have nothing bad to say. It is great to drive in and looks amazing and the interior is simple. I would suggest you to get a test drive. Good luck on your choice.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Good summary of the EVOQUE.
Lots of negatives for a $50+K vehicle & eeeeash no sliding visors!