GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

small amber light under int. rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Your answer is in post #16 of this thread from almost 3 years ago. Unless they changed it in newer MY's the answer is right under your nose.
The following users liked this post:
MBKLUE (09-06-2022)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Just to add my .02 This is one of those nice extra touches. A tiny light so you're not fumbling in the dark for something, It's not bright enough to mess up your night vision but bright enough to see something set down or find a knob etc. It's officially an ambient light just like the little lights on the inside door handle or in the coin holder. If your trying to separate keys or some similar items you can hold it close to get more light without blasting the cabin with light.
When someone asks about the extra touches in a Mercedes - I point to the small light and then the triple blink turn signal bump.
Now if only more manufacturers did this
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 e63 wagon
No one answered! Is it supposed to
have both left and right illuminated or just the right?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
Originally Posted by pali63wagon
No one answered! Is it supposed to
have both left and right illuminated or just the right?
I think its just the right...
Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport

OK once and for all. Depending on the year of your GLK will determine if you have one or two separate "reading" lights (#6) in your vehicle on the rear view mirror. If you have one in the center the # 3 and 5 buttons control the left and right half of the reading lamp. The single lamp has an amber light in the middle that is on all the time when the car is running. It is a down lamp to illuminate the console area near the shifter. Nice light at night (not overly powerful).

If you have two lights on the rear view mirror # 3 and 5 buttons still control the "reading" lamps left and right. The single lamp shown in the picture circled in red is the amber light just like above but now stands alone.

Hope that takes the mystery out. Maybe now we can let this thread rest in peace. Happy New Year to all!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 e63 wagon
I have two but only one is amber and lit.
So again is both to be illuminated or just the right?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM

OK. There are two "reading" lamps listed as # 6 on the picture. There are two LED's on the bottom of the rear view mirror. One is in the red circle in the picture that is the one that is always lit. The other LED only lights when you use one of the three buttons used to open garage doors or similar radio operated devices. Does that clear it up for you?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:14 AM

Merceded CLC 220
Talking orange light under rear view mirror

My merc 220 CLC has orange light under rear view mirror. I have just noticed it as it seems to be on all the time and my mechanic is curious as to why it is on all the time as may be problem if battery lowish...may put too much drain on battery over time. Does anyone know how to disable this light?
Old 08-31-2022, 04:44 AM

2015 mercedes benz gl350 bluetec
I can't find it in the manual...Can you tell me what page number?
Old 09-06-2022, 12:54 PM

2013 GLK 350
Makes more sense than every other reply I read.
I wish our DMV in US would consider adopting this option to punish bad drivers.

Originally Posted by allanX204
I just noticed a small little amber light underneath the interior rear view mirror, which is on all the time. See picture below. I couldn't find anything about it in the owners manual. Do you have the same light? What is the purpose - anybody knows?

Originally Posted by 02glider
It is part of a laser tag system use to identify bad driving. If you have a yellow light you got your first tag. love to know what it is for but I like this answer.

The cap on the dash covers a laser sensor this is a leftover from the German automobile manufactures safety council program to improve safety by taking cars away from drivers that demonstrate poor driving skills. The theory is bad driving often causes accidents while not actually being involved in it. In Europe if you do something dumb other drivers can send your auto a signal by laser. If you receive 5 tags in a year’s time you receive a fine, in 3 years if you have 8 or more the German auto manufactures will not sell you a new car. If you have 12 your driver license could be revoked. I think it still works in here. You can check your status at night by putting your hand under the rear view mirror if there is no colored light you’re good, but if it is light yellow all the way to bright red you got tagged for doing something stupid.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 233 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Sonia Matthews
Makes more sense than every other reply I read.
I wish our DMV in US would consider adopting this option to punish bad drivers.
Just like getting canceled on Twitter! (Be careful what you wish for... "There's that person who started the tagging business; let's tag her!")