GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Touch up paint for rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
Touch up paint for rims

So the expected has happened on my rims by another driver on my GLK, so which touch up pen works best with our rim's color?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Check out this site they may have your answer.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
Originally Posted by MKenM
Check out this site they may have your answer.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html
yea found that site but the process requires quite a bit of product which ends up approx the same cost as getting it refinished thus im going for the hide it solution until it gets more battered up.
thanks anyhow.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 AM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
BTW what do you estimate the cost at. My MB dealer told me $150.00 per wheel which I've been told is a good price.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4Matic, G35, Ford Ranger FX4II
Whl Repairs

As info here in Canada the Merc dealers are all charging $250/whl for reapirs, starting price, and the dealers use a vendor who comes into the dealer once a week to do all whls.

FYI
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by kyoshiro
So the expected has happened on my rims by another driver on my GLK, so which touch up pen works best with our rim's color?
Dupli-Color Silver Caliper Paint (BCP103)is a nearly perfect match and it provides a gloss finish without a separate clear coat. You can likely buy it at your local AutoZone, O'Reiley or Pep Boys.

Here's what I do for all my MB rims and recommend:

1) File the rash to eliminate high spots.
2) Fill the valley low spots with a metal patch like "Devcon Metal Patch & Fill" that you can buy at your local hardware store. Sand with wet/dry sand paper (400 or so.)
3) Mask the area with masking tape and newspaper.
4) Apply a light coat of gray primer. Sand with wet/dry (1000 grit)
5) Spray several very light coats of the Caliper Paint. (Too heavy of a application may run.) You can feather the Caliper Paint onto the whee spokes and it will blend in nicely.
6) If you'd like an even more highly reflective finish, polish it with a light cleaner/polish or swirl remover from your local auto paint store.
7) Finish with some good auto or wheel wax.

I believe you'll be pleased with the results, particularly considering the low cost. I've tried the Wurth products and have been very disappointed in both the color match and the finish.

Last edited by slk55er; 12-30-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by slk55er
Dupli-Color Silver Caliper Paint (BCP103)is a nearly perfect match and it provides a gloss finish without a separate clear coat. You can likely buy it at your local AutoZone, O'Reiley or Pep Boys.

2) Fill the valley low spots with a metal patch like "Devcon Metal Patch & Fill" that you can buy at your local hardware store. Sand with wet/dry sand paper (400 or so.)
5) Spray several very light coats of the Caliper Paint. (Too heavy of a application may run.) You can feather the Caliper Paint onto the whee spokes and it will blend in nicely.
6) If you'd like an even more highly reflective finish, polish it with a light cleaner/polish or swirl remover from your local auto paint store.

I believe you'll be pleased with the results, particularly considering the low cost. I've tried the Wurth products and have been very disappointed in both the color match and the finish.
I tried this and it works great...
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM

2016 GLA45 AMG, 2013 GLK 350, 2010 GLK 350
Wheel scratches and protection

I just came back from Mexico

Many of the Luxury vehicles I saw had these rim protectors on.

They protect and cover previous scratches

http://www.wheelsprotector.com/

Rixard
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Looks like it might be a great product but its only available for now in 15", 16" and 17". Would have to ask outside this forum for experience most don't use anything less than 19"ers except for snow. Anybody have any experience with this product?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by hceptj
I tried this and it works great...
I'm glad you had success with this. If you'd like a higher gloss clear coat, you can use Dupli-Color Clear Engine Enamel (DE1636.)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
I'm thinking about just completely repainting the wheels on my CLS55 AMG; but not sure what color to use against a dark green car?

Is there any posts or discussions you guys are aware of where color combinations are being debated?

Thank You!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThePatriot
I'm thinking about just completely repainting the wheels on my CLS55 AMG; but not sure what color to use against a dark green car?
Here's an option you might consider that I had on my (bought-new, recently-sold) 1974 Fiat.
Attached Thumbnails Touch up paint for rims-rightside.jpg  

Last edited by slk55er; 01-18-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded

This^!

You may also try this paint if DupliColor wheel or caliper paint doesn't do the trick: http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...eel-paint.html
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

BTW how long does this process take. Say for a 4 inch curb rash.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 PM

BTW how long does this process take. Say for a 4 inch curb rash.
Plan on a morning or afternoon and stop to smell the roses between steps during drying time. The filler hardens and is ready for filing in 1-2 hours, depending on the thickness of the fill.

Masking off the tire at the rim takes 15 minutes or so. The primer dries very quickly -- 10 minutes -- and you can apply 2-3 light coats of the caliper paint 15 minutes apart. See how it looks and decide the next day or so on a clear coat (which I don't think you'll need.)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM

SLK thanks for the info. They say that time is money with that said I'm a perfectionist and would probably not be happy with my own results. So, I think $150 is reasonable to have the dealer do it. The guy comes to the dealership once a week to do just wheels. I know that I can't make it any worse but I think I'll let the expert do it. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM

SLK thanks for the info. They say that time is money with that said I'm a perfectionist and would probably not be happy with my own results. So, I think $150 is reasonable to have the dealer do it. The guy comes to the dealership once a week to do just wheels. I know that I can't make it any worse but I think I'll let the expert do it. Thanks again.
I finally brought my car into MB to have some service work done. The wheels being one of them. I needed 2 wheels done and I was debating about a third. I know, what was I doing not paying attention to my driving and wheels. Well I guess stuff happens. So the SA says that they paint the entire wheel (exterior facing only) and the paint would not match from 2 1/2 years ago. He had told me $150.00 per wheel and I sat there thinking $450.00 for 3 wheels ....hmm. He came back to me and said that he would do all 4 for $500.00. I did all of them and I have to tell you they came out fantastic! Cannot tell at all where the rashes were and some were very bad. For me it was worth it.